PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam says he would be happy to return to the Pats

I think it's fair to say that Cam was not in the best situation. He had no receivers or tight ends, no offseason, got covid, got injured. Tom brady didn't look so good in this offense in 2019 so it's unfair to blame cam for everything.

But it's also fair to say that he had no pocket awareness and was skipping passes at receivers feet when they were open. His game is predicated on teams defending him differently because they are afraid of the run leaving the pass open. Some local mediots have said that teams weren't as afraid of the run this year and played as such. That's what happens with alot of these run first QBs.

I would like to think cam is a last resort.

Cam 2021 would be better than COVID Cam 2020. However, bringing him back just delays the inevitable search for a long term answer.

I’d be happy for him to not return to the Pats.

Cam 2021 would be better than COVID Cam 2020. However, bringing him back just delays the inevitable search for a long term answer.

Whomever you bring in you need you still need a long-term answer.

I just don't know if I can take another year of the old-school pass 10 times a game running offense.

Whomever you bring in you need you still need a long-term answer.

I just don't know if I can take another year of the old-school pass 10 times a game running offense.

I liked the old school offense, just not the inability to pass when it was necessary. Cam's throwing motion just looked somewhere between awkward and broken.

Just retire you bum.

If cam is back i aint watching a single game.

Just like the previous bum playing that position in 2019, should have also retired.. amirite ?

And before the cultist join in with frothing mouths in the point here is not comparing QBs but saying the offense has been generally dysfunctional the last two years and neither the SB winner of this year nor one of the overall weaker guys of 2020 was able to elevate them to a different level.

I didn't like Cam here, but he might be the best option for a bridge year.

I didn't like Cam here, but he might be the best option for a bridge year.

I don't know if I would say he's the BEST option, but in the right circumstance it's not all negative either. If the Patriots get a true blue QB of the Future in the draft (someone they really believe in, maybe they trade up to get him or he falls to 15, whoever it is), then we're truly looking at a situation where the vet just needs to keep the seat warm until the kid is ready. If the kid really is legit, that's one year at max, probably sooner if the team isn't winning.

In that scenario, Cam is likely one of the cheaper options, knows the system (or at least isn't starting from square one), and has proven to be a role model as a teammate. Some folks are saying they don't want a rookie to learn from a QB who isn't good, but I highly doubt young QBs are learning a lot of mechanics from the older vets. More likely they're learning by watching their work ethic and how teammates rally around them, which is something Cam actually succeeded at. So from that perspective, IF they have a kid they really love on the team, Cam could work.

That said, he's not my choice by a long shot. With the resources we have this year in draft capital and cap space, we have the luxury of hedging our bets against a young QB, even if we take him in the first. We don't need just a bridge guy, if there's a veteran out there that they think could help them win in the next two/three years. I'm undecided on who I want that to be of the options we've heard, but the fact remains that even if they love the QB they draft, there's no guarantee he's ready to go in the first two years (if he ever is). I want someone who had more upside than just occupying the position until someone better comes along.

Of course, unlike some others in this thread, if Cam comes back I'm not going to boycott. I'm going to root for him because he's likeable (from the outside at least) and he's the QB of my team. I wouldn't expect vast improvement from him personally, but if his surrounding cast and defense improves, I don't expect him to take a huge step backwards either. If BB nails the rest of this offseason, they can make the playoffs with Cam as the starter (I just wouldn't put a dime on them getting out of wildcard weekend unless they get a supremely favorable matchup).

I keep thinking about this and going back to his first few games last year. He looked pretty good. They handled Miami and Vegas (both of which flirted with a wild card spot) without issue. They lost to Seattle but Cam delivered a game in which Edelman achieved his highest receiving yards in his career, and they came 1 yard short of a win. Yeah, Seattle's D is bad but still, his throwing looked good.

Then he gets COVID and comes back all messed up. It felt like team chemistry was out of sorts, Edelman is lost for the year, and Cam is just not performing well. Teams adjusted. That said... they delivered wins over Baltimore and Arizona, and smoked the Chargers. Their first loss to Buffalo was by 3 points. So it's not like it was a total disaster...

I'm not gonna claim that Cam can't be improved upon, but I am also left wondering if maybe... just maybe... with a proper offseason, some major improvements to his receiving targets, some competition along the lines of a Mariota type... he might still be salvageable...? Wishful thinking, maybe, but in the event that no better options are easily acquirable, or as part of an open competition, I wouldn't TOTALLY hate it...
Eduardo Rodriguez, Cam Newton, Jason Tatum...long-haulers.

With Rodriguez, it was his heart.
With Newton and Tatum, their heads. Both said they felt "foggy." I've been saying this since about week six. His passer rating plummeted after COVID, with only a couple of exception games (Houston and the Jets). He was holding the ball, locking on receivers, hesitating for a heartbeat when someone came open - his throwing was behind his brain, and thus the balls were behind receivers on crossing routes.

Over and over again. Gwyneth Paltrow just came out with her "long-haul" story, and they're beginning to look at this phenomenon closely. She said she had massive testing and they found that her body and her brain was full of inflammation.

The good news is that these effects only last a few weeks to a few months.

The Sox aren't sure if Rodriguez comes back - the heart inflammation is dangerous.
Tatum looks like garbage out there since his COVID bout.
Cam looked quicker (with his brain) last game of the year (to be fair, it was the Jets).

All I'm saying is that it is possible the Cam who started the year is the Cam Newton you'll get. If I recall correctly, people were screaming "Extend him!" after the Seattle game.

The work ethic is there, the desire to win is there, the leadership is there...a much fuller preseason will likely be there.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the Pats bring him back, at least to compete in camp. Jimmy's looking less likely, other teams are going hard at Mariota, we ain't getting Watson, nor a rookie who will make next year look good.

I'll trust the team to make the best of a bad situation.

Gwyneth Paltrow just came out with her "long-haul" story, and they're beginning to look at this phenomenon closely. She said she had massive testing and they found that her body and her brain was full of inflammation.
Did her elaborate "testing" by her commissioned scientists examine if there was any correlation between her "inflamed brain" and inhaling her personalized vagina candles?

1613663946799.png

1613664086832.png

Last edited:
My only question is, and the coaches will never say. What is cam newtons arm strength? Because I'm sure they could see in practice whether his shoulder was shot or not.

Does Bill think that if he upgrades the receivers and brings in a hunter henry that cam can be service able?

And have a Mac jones behind him learning and ready to take over?

My only question is, and the coaches will never say. What is cam newtons arm strength? Because I'm sure they could see in practice whether his shoulder was shot or not.

Does Bill think that if he upgrades the receivers and brings in a hunter henry that cam can be service able?

And have a Mac jones behind him learning and ready to take over?

From my couch (full disclaimer), it appeared like arm strength wasn't really his problem. It was decision making, decision speed, blitz recognition pre-snap, and those little accuracy details that mean the difference between a RB having time to read his blocks on a screen or him having to re-adjust on the catch and get blown up in the backfield. He also (as I believe Kontra pointed out), lost a step with his legs from the dynamic runner he was in his youth, which had a cascade effect. Once he wasn't able to escape quite as many "sure" sack situations, his general footwork just wasn't good enough to make up for it.

Some of those problems are correctable (or at least improvable) like decisions and blitz recognition. That kind of stuff gets easier the more you're in a system and the less you have to think within it. But the accuracy and leg regression? Those are probably here to stay unfortunately for him.

Just like the previous bum playing that position in 2019, should have also retired.. amirite ?

And before the cultist join in with frothing mouths in the point here is not comparing QBs but saying the offense has been generally dysfunctional the last two years and neither the SB winner of this year nor one of the overall weaker guys of 2020 was able to elevate them to a different level.

If you had eyes then the other guy was a HOF QB who could still throw. Cam never could. That's the difference. His body has worn out and he sucks more than he usually did. Give somebody else a shot at least we might see some development. We aren't competing for a SB any time soon. Why waste time on a washed up gimmick QB.

If you had eyes then the other guy was a HOF QB who could still throw. Cam never could. That's the difference. His body has worn out and he sucks more than he usually did. Give somebody else a shot at least we might see some development. We aren't competing for a SB any time soon. Why waste time on a washed up gimmick QB.

To be fair though, if we are going to blame the weapons for Bradys 2019 performance then we should give Cam Newton some benefit of the doubt. In no ways is that me saying that Cam Newton is as good as brady.

I think the idea is a rookie could learn behind cam newton rather than throwing him into the fire.

And if you had any brain and could read comprehensively you would have noticed that I explicitly said this was not a comparisons of QBs but a statement about the dysfunctional situation of the offense as a whole. No QB in the history of the game would have gotten significantly more out of the unit.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back