PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam says he would be happy to return to the Pats

I can't believe I'm actually at the point in my Patriots fandom (going back to the 1984 when I started to understand the game as a 10 year old) where I have acquiesced, and that is the PERFECT word (non-wordsmiths, look it up), to Cam Newton as the Pats 2021 starter. He was not good last year, but I don't blame him as much as I blame Skippy McDaniels and his wondrous game plans in the red zone, and Bill the GM. There is universal agreement that the 2020 New England Patriots had the worst receiver/tight end group in the league. It has to get better - right? I mean, even if Bill the GM doesn't get any good pass catchers in free agency, guys like Keene, Assiasi, Meyers, Olzewski, HAVE to get better - yes? I know we were counting on Harry improving, but I just think he ****ing sucks and will never amount to anything - too slow, can't run routes, el busto personified. But I think there is "hope" for the others. The offensive line is decent, the running backs should be OK, the issue is the pass catchers and the coaching. McDaniels needs to "open it up" a bit for Newton. McDaniels did so in terms of trick plays - yipee!- but where were the deep shots (or even intermediate shots) down field. IIRC we'd have 2 or 3 throws downfield all game in the flow of the game. Once games got out of hand and the Pats got behind, it seemed Skippy opened up the playbook a bit and Newton threw downfield with success (Seattle and Houston games come to mind). I'm not saying Newton is on his way to the Pro Bowl, or even a top 10 quarterback. But if he can put up his AVERAGE season pre NE and discounting his last season in Carolina where he only played 2 games, the Patriot WILL make the playoffs. His AVERAGE season from 2011 - 2018: 23 TDs, 13 INT, 3,558 yards. Those are #s that would put the 2020 Patriots in the playoffs.

I think Cam will get signed as a back up by some team and it will happen relatively soon after FA begins. This of course assumes Cam wants to be a back up. He proved he could stay healthy last year and was a threat in the red zone to score with his run game. That will be valuable to a lot of teams. I don't think Cam will be sitting there again on June 28 so if the Pats do want him in whatever capacity, they better do it soon.

I know it’s still very early in the offseason, however the longer we go without addressing the qb situation the more I feel like Cam will likely be back with the team at some point.
I feel like our best option right now is draft a QB which means it makes sense to have a cheap Cam

I have a hard time believing Bill brings back Cam. If so, it's hard to root for a team that just flat out isn't trying anymore. I have no problem watching the team lose if Bill did his best to field the best team possible, but bringing him back tells me otherwise.

I can't believe I'm actually at the point in my Patriots fandom (going back to the 1984 when I started to understand the game as a 10 year old) where I have acquiesced, and that is the PERFECT word (non-wordsmiths, look it up), to Cam Newton as the Pats 2021 starter. He was not good last year, but I don't blame him as much as I blame Skippy McDaniels and his wondrous game plans in the red zone, and Bill the GM. There is universal agreement that the 2020 New England Patriots had the worst receiver/tight end group in the league. It has to get better - right? I mean, even if Bill the GM doesn't get any good pass catchers in free agency, guys like Keene, Assiasi, Meyers, Olzewski, HAVE to get better - yes? I know we were counting on Harry improving, but I just think he ****ing sucks and will never amount to anything - too slow, can't run routes, el busto personified. But I think there is "hope" for the others. The offensive line is decent, the running backs should be OK, the issue is the pass catchers and the coaching. McDaniels needs to "open it up" a bit for Newton. McDaniels did so in terms of trick plays - yipee!- but where were the deep shots (or even intermediate shots) down field. IIRC we'd have 2 or 3 throws downfield all game in the flow of the game. Once games got out of hand and the Pats got behind, it seemed Skippy opened up the playbook a bit and Newton threw downfield with success (Seattle and Houston games come to mind). I'm not saying Newton is on his way to the Pro Bowl, or even a top 10 quarterback. But if he can put up his AVERAGE season pre NE and discounting his last season in Carolina where he only played 2 games, the Patriot WILL make the playoffs. His AVERAGE season from 2011 - 2018: 23 TDs, 13 INT, 3,558 yards. Those are #s that would put the 2020 Patriots in the playoffs.

We need actual receivers and tight ends. Guys couldn't get open in 2019 and nothing changed in 2020.

A legit #1 who can take pressure off the guys like meyers would do wonders for this offense.its a shame we whiffed on every #1 receiver for Nkeal harry.

But if we are going to watch brady go from struggling in 2019 and having 25tds to winning superbowl mvp and throwing for 40tds.
Something is rotten in denmark. And it's the receiving talent on this team. Because brady didn't magically become 15tds better. His options in new england just sucked.

now I'm not saying cam newton will do the same. Just saying it's unfair to put everything on him when evidence points that these receivers made the GOAT struggle

Last edited:
I think Cam will get signed as a back up by some team and it will happen relatively soon after FA begins. This of course assumes Cam wants to be a back up. He proved he could stay healthy last year and was a threat in the red zone to score with his run game. That will be valuable to a lot of teams. I don't think Cam will be sitting there again on June 28 so if the Pats do want him in whatever capacity, they better do it soon.

I don't think he would take it. It's very rare you see former MVPs take backup roles. It would require a big humbling.

He will want a starting job or will retire

Good post. One of the most logical and well though out opinions I've read on this board regarding Cam and his 2020 season with the Pats. Give the guy a legit shot at being the starter. He had a month and a half to learn the offense and get the timing down with his teammates before the season started. This is the guy heading the most important position on the field and he has the LEAST experience in the offense during the season. How can you expect much success? He was learning everything on the fly spending countless hours studying and trying to prepare at the best of his ability DURING THE REGULAR SEASON. He was pressing and you could see it in his game. He was thinking more which would slow down his reactions which would cause him to miss reads.

If NE spent the $60 million they have in cap space and the draft picks they have upgrading the WRs/TE and retooling the front 7 on defense while giving Cam another 1 year incentive laden deal with a full offseason/preseason under his belt NE can DEFINITELY be back in the mix with possible super bowl aspirations. And I believe that will be NEs ticket to getting back to the playoffs as quickly as possible. I hope this is the route Belichick and Co. go with even though bringing back Cam is an unpopular opinion amongst the fans. Winning cures all and I think Cam/Belichik with an upgraded arsenal at their disposal can do great things together if given the proper opportunity

Just like the previous bum playing that position in 2019, should have also retired.. amirite ?

And before the cultist join in with frothing mouths in the point here is not comparing QBs but saying the offense has been generally dysfunctional the last two years and neither the SB winner of this year nor one of the overall weaker guys of 2020 was able to elevate them to a different level.

Brady had a dysfunctional offensive line last year . Brady percentages are lower because he had no time and would dump it off.

Cam pressure percentages are higher because he was holding the ball for far too long.

Cam completion percentage is higher because he threw very limited passes. When he couldn't throw he got sacked or tried to run a 1 yard completion.

Stats do not tell the true picture. Brady also did not have any running game . So it was pass heavy. Cam had Harris and michel with impressive running game. Still he could not do RPO and pass.

Sorry no Cam. I am okay with punting with stidham or dolegala.if fitzmagic comes great , else stay put and draft two rookie qb to see who is the qbof.

Just like the previous bum playing that position in 2019, should have also retired.. amirite ?

And before the cultist join in with frothing mouths in the point here is not comparing QBs but saying the offense has been generally dysfunctional the last two years and neither the SB winner of this year nor one of the overall weaker guys of 2020 was able to elevate them to a different level.

They conveniently left 3rd down conversions out of the criteria, and that more than anything else was my biggest problem with Newton.

Still haven't seen if there's been any analysis about cams shoulder and arm strength.

It seemed to me that later in the season his mechanics were wildly off. Like he was throwing a javelin. Very different than early in the season when there was talk that they were working on his mechanics and he had the game against seattle

We've seen with guys like drew brees start off the season looking good and then their shoulder starting to wear down. With 3 shoulder surgeries wonder if this was a case with cam newton?

If BB can't get Jimmy G or Mariota or any other QB he thinks is clearly better than CAm (if he even thinks those guys are better than Cam), he'll re-sign Cam if possible.

Unless he was holding Stidham back for some reason...

I doubt he'd start a rookie.

Brady had a dysfunctional offensive line last year . Brady percentages are lower because he had no time and would dump it off.

Cam pressure percentages are higher because he was holding the ball for far too long.

Cam completion percentage is higher because he threw very limited passes. When he couldn't throw he got sacked or tried to run a 1 yard completion.

Stats do not tell the true picture. Brady also did not have any running game . So it was pass heavy. Cam had Harris and michel with impressive running game. Still he could not do RPO and pass.

Sorry no Cam. I am okay with punting with stidham or dolegala.if fitzmagic comes great , else stay put and draft two rookie qb to see who is the qbof.
You can't ignore that Brady.

1. Had Edelman most of the year (who was better than anyone Cam had most of the year)
2. Had Dorsett most of the year (who was better than any WR we have now)
3. Had Gordon a good chunk of the year.
4. Had a significantly easier defensive schedule last year that he padded stats on early in the season.

If Cam is asked back, Bill will be known as the new Woody Johnson, which makes the In-Bill-We-Trust fanboys hereabouts the new Fireman Eds.

You can't ignore that Brady.

1. Had Edelman most of the year (who was better than anyone Cam had most of the year)
2. Had Dorsett most of the year (who was better than any WR we have now)
3. Had Gordon a good chunk of the year.
4. Had a significantly easier defensive schedule last year that he padded stats on early in the season.
If this post is intended to allude to even the most remote equivalency between Brady and Newton, it is in the running for most idiotic post of the year.

Good luck: I think you've got this.

I feel like our best option right now is draft a QB which means it makes sense to have a cheap Cam
If we are going to draft a quarterback, our hope is that he is ready to beat out the veteran in 2022. Of course, we could also draft a qb in 2022, giving us a future starter and backup.

Why do want to have Cam starting in 2021 and possibly in 2022?

I submit that we need a much better QB for the next 2-3 years, with no guaranteed 2023 money. The very, very low bar is Cam. I HOPE that bill can do much better. Barring a trade, options include Fitzy, Trubisky, Brisette, Winston, Dalton, and others who will be cut in the next month.

Last edited:
If BB can't get Jimmy G or Mariota or any other QB he thinks is clearly better than CAm (if he even thinks those guys are better than Cam), he'll re-sign Cam if possible.

Unless he was holding Stidham back for some reason...

I doubt he'd start a rookie.
I think Cam COULD be better with more tools to work with, but like... so could Stidham. I'm not yet convinced that paying Cam to come back is a lot better than just rolling with Stidham for a year and seeing how it goes. Draft a guy like Mac Jones and swap to him mid-season if needed.

But ideally I'd prefer a Mariota or a Garoppolo as the starter in addition to a rookie QB.

Cam 2021 would be better than COVID Cam 2020. However, bringing him back just delays the inevitable search for a long term answer.
I want a much better veteran with a 2-3 year contract than Cam.

That being said, how does sign a veteran (cam or better) delay our search for a long0-term answer? We could draft a QB high in 2021 and if necessary in 2022.

Cam would be a delay if you think that Bill would pass on a veteran answer at QB, one would lead us for 4-5 years.

If we are going to draft a quarterback, our hope is that he is ready to beat out the veteran in 2022. Of course, we could also draft a qb in 2022, giving us a future starter and backup.

Why do want to have Cam starting in 2021 and possibly in 2022?

I submit that we need a much better QB for the next 2-3 years, with no guaranteed 2023 money. The very, very low bar is Cam. I HOPE that bill can do much better. Barring a trade, options include Fitzy, Trubisky, Brisette, Winston, Dalton, and others who will be cut in the next month.
Because he's cheap and don't think it's worth paying for the guys you are mentioning now. Fitzpatrick routinely signs $10 million + deals for his services, Winston is pretty much going to stay on the Saints, no point in getting in a bidding war over Dalton when the Cowboys like him at back up, Trub will still likely be a $15 million QB, and Brissett isn't better than Cam.

Nobody wants to pay what it takes to get a real QB. Write off your losses and get a guy in the draft and deal with another rebuild year.

If this post is intended to allude to even the most remote equivalency between Brady and Newton, it is in the running for most idiotic post of the year.

Good luck: I think you've got this.

Why does everyone take these posts as a comparison of Brady and Cam Newton like it's an attack on Brady. It's more a comparison of the trash they had on offense.

NOT a single person is saying cam newton is as good as Brady. Let's get that out of the way.

People are saying the lack of talent on offense hindered both QBs performances to a degree.

This kid is an a**hole

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick