PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

Everything is Covids fault these days.

They just showed some of Cams INTs on ESPN.

Brutal decision making. Staring down the WR. The guy is not a passing QB and wants to run and be superman.
I agree, let’s stop blaming Covid and just come to terms he sucks.

WRONG - It is definitely NOT the same. Last year Cam was signed like the day before camp started and didn't know a thing about the offense and more importantly the SEMANTICE that is necessary to speak the language.. Last year Cam was the LAST step to address the QB situation. This year he is only the FIRST step.

Hopefully we will all be able to go to camp and see for ourselves if what I pointed out makes any difference. Ven, my point is that this signing is failsafe against the possibility that no one we want shakes loose from their teams. BTW- I don't think the picture will clear much until just before the draft. I think that week and immediately after the draft things will shake out more. So if you hate the signing you will have a full month to stew in your own stew of toxic juices because I don't see anything more happening on the QB front until them
I don't hate the signing and have already said I'm not surprised by it. The signing, to me, just reflects what Bill thinks about the rest of the available QB class.

First of all BB definitely didn't say he is in love with Newton and you saying "would he do that to Newton" is a total ridiculous question that makes me question if you have been following this team for more than a year. Go check up on some of the infamous, ruthless moves BB has made through his tenure because you don't seem to know your Patriots history.

Connecting a quote of him saying he only will coach the players he wants to coach to this situation is just a demonstration of your confirmation bias because it has nothing to do with Newton. But of course since you are already convinced of some bizarre narrative that BB somehow has a crush on his QB to the point where he doesn't care about production you think it means something. Maybe we should check if Bill has a tattoo of Newton on his arm, although this is most likely a reference you won't get.

Finally, don't give me any of this **** of "nobody knows for fact". You are the one who claimed Cam couldn't find any other team offering him more money, even though he is under contract for a team that has repeatedly contacted the league office in the last decade because of tampering. You are just speculating and putting a nice bow of "aww shucks nobody really knows" around your baseless speculation.

Deal with your confirmation bias then we can have a actual conversation. If you are just here to have some bozos confirm your priors then put me on ignore.
All right, settle down. Why do a lot of people on this forum act like their life saving is depended on these discussions? It's just sports, and we can have differences in opinion on things and discuss it. No need to blow a gasket and act like I am stealing your 401K.

I do think BB likes Cam and I will tell you why. Newton played like hot garbage last year and BB absolutely refused to bench him even though most people even in Boston media were calling for it. He was so protective of Cam that he still gave him starts even after we were out of the playoff hunt. After an atrocious season, with the entire fan base ready to move on from Cam, he gives him another contract to bring him back. Not only that, he also heaps praises at Cam's feet every chance he gets, despite the tremendously awful performances on the field. I don't recall him even doing that for Brady, who won six superbowls. I don't live inside BB's head but from everything that I have seen or read, it does seem like the notion that BB likes Cam isn't some far fetched crazy idea.

I also don't think connecting his quote to Cam is that far fetched. If he says he only wants players he wants to coach, and he controls the roster, is it that crazy to think maybe he likes the guys that are on the team?

As far as Cam's market value is concerned. Do you honestly believe he had an offer with significantly more money somewhere else and he accepted less to sign with us? I am 100% positive his agent have spoken to other teams already, because that's how they do business. The fact that he took this deal is a sign that he didn't get anything vastly above and beyond what we offered him.

Posters talking about testing free agency.... Question: how do players like Cam and JJ Watt sign now before Free Agency period starts? Is it just players who are not waiting for a 2020 contract to expire?
Cam was technically still a Patriot.

On March 17 @ 4:00 Cam would have officially been on the market.

There is a rumor going around that nobody else worth a flip at QB wanted to go to NE.

Jimmy would have been jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. He has HOF TE over there and better WRs.

His footwork went down the drain after the COVID break. If he can get back to how it looked against e.g. Seattle he will instantly look a lot better as a thrower. The challenge will be to keep it at a consistent level for the entire season. And then he also needs to stop forcing throws at times but that is something that might get better as he grasps the offense better and knows where his outlets are.

Still a ****ton of work for him this offseason to get there.
His footwork hasn’t been there for two years. It wasn’t even good at the beginning of the season. He did more damage against Miami with his legs and Seattle’s pass defense was AWFUL. Particularly at the beginning of the year. He doesn’t drive the ball with his legs anymore and he was never really the best at it in the first place. Too many shots to those puppies over the years and they’ve added up.

That was so close, but I don't think it even comes down to that. Gronk makes chain moving catches during the game that probably seals it.
In SB46, #87 was "Rob Gronkowski." In SB49, he was GRONK, Destroyer of Defenses.

and this doesn't have you reconsider your own position? How humble of you.
So because I largely agree with his philosophy and approach I am supposed to endorse a stupid decision I disagree with? Why? Is thinking for yourself not allowed?

All right, settle down. Why do a lot of people on this forum act like their life saving is depended on these discussions? It's just sports, and we can have differences in opinion on things and discuss it. No need to blow a gasket and act like I am stealing your 401K.

I do think BB likes Cam and I will tell you why. Newton played like hot garbage last year and BB absolutely refused to bench him even though most people even in Boston media were calling for it. He was so protective of Cam that he still gave him starts even after we were out of the playoff hunt. After an atrocious season, with the entire fan base ready to move on from Cam, he gives him another contract to bring him back. Not only that, he also heaps praises at Cam's feet every chance he gets, despite the tremendously awful performances on the field. I don't recall him even doing that for Brady, who won six superbowls. I don't live inside BB's head but from everything that I have seen or read, it does seem like the notion that BB likes Cam isn't some far fetched crazy idea.

I also don't think connecting his quote to Cam is that far fetched. If he says he only wants players he wants to coach, and he controls the roster, is it that crazy to think maybe he likes the guys that are on the team?

As far as Cam's market value is concerned. Do you honestly believe he had an offer with significantly more money somewhere else and he accepted less to sign with us? I am 100% positive his agent have spoken to other teams already, because that's how they do business. The fact that he took this deal is a sign that he didn't get anything vastly above and beyond what we offered him.
You are a noob if you think BB gives a rat's arse about what the media wants.

So you convinced yourself that if we don't get a player who is already signed to another team then this season is a disaster?

That one's on you.
If Cam is starting week 1 the season will be a disaster, yes. We had seasons worth of proof of it already.

Now that we have the starting QB out of the way, the only remaining question is how will Bill approach FAcy: does he go big and bold and spend $$ to go after top talent or does he stay lean and bland and cheap out?

He's definitely trying to solve the OL to give Cam an extra 30 seconds in the pocket. With the $$ he's saving for a starting QB, he really should pay Thuney to stay, but alas he won't.

He knows that no one was pounding on his door. He knows he gave Cam a deal that he can walk away from in a nano-second......and so does Cam.
If he had a contract that guaranteed him, say, $10M, I'd be all on the board with the "Yup, he's the starter" crowd. Or they could have given him a two-year deal (to spread the signing bonus out), like they did with Revis. But neither of those things happened.

There is a rumor going around that nobody else worth a flip at QB wanted to go to NE.

Jimmy would have been jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. He has HOF TE over there and better WRs.

Wow, with such great source, that “rumor” has to be true. Thanks for yet another well researched post.

If Cam is starting week 1 the season will be a disaster, yes. We had seasons worth of proof of it already.
What you wrote was the season is a disaster if we don't sign Jimmy G...

I guess you don't want to own that, so you move on to some other imagined disaster.

I don't know if he'll start, or sub, or be good, or awful, and so forth.

I do know that I thoroughly enjoy a big, tall, handsome, incredibly happy, carefree black guy be the QB for The Boston Patriots after Brady. Picturing the gnashing of teeth, mumbling of curses, and head shakes coming out of the bars of Southie as the World As It Should Be fantasy continues to erode and dissolve.

Wow, with such great source, that “rumor” has to be true. Thanks for yet another well researched post.
No source right now, so continue to swill down the Kool aid that Cam returning is a solid move.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back