PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Cam newton resigned 1 year deal

For heaven's sake, what receiver or TE wants him throwing them the ball? Of course Damien Harris was psyched because he basically has a FB to play with.
What WR or TE wants Mariota or Minshew throwing to them? Players like Cam and he’s going to be less expensive than either. Anybody we got in free agency wasn’t going to be the long term option unless we traded a fortune for Watson.

it's the NFL.......of course someone is going to say that........he did look a lot worse post covid
So you're saying he and the team were lying about his (lack of) symptoms? There are different medical protocols that were set for symptomatic vs asymptomatic infections, so they potentially put other players and coaches at risk by lying and only following the less stringent protocols. If you're right, this is probably going to cost us another draft pick.... hopefully not a first round pick

Signing Newton made it imho more likely that we will make a move for someone like e. g. Lance.

There is some overlap between the two so whatever offense you build up via trades/FA this year would transition nicely into the strengths of the young guy once he takes over.
I am thinking Lance makes sense too. Lance can plug into the Newton-type offense and provide continuity for McDaniels in 2022. Lance definitely needs a year at least on the bench but has lots of potential.

Wondering if Bill and Josh see potential having a guy like Newton/Lance in their system and want to keep pursuing that path offensively. Defenses are built to stop the pass first, run second these days so it is a good way to exploit that.

This is clear that the Pats will be drafting a QB in the first round of the draft next month. Let's hope all the good ones aren't snapped up prior to the Pats' picking.

In one fell swoop my excitement for 2021 ends like Megan Merkle dreaming she is a disney princess.

FFS he was overpaid on his 2020 contract.. better be zero guarentee so we can cut his ass when we bring in a proper QB.

My knee jerk reaction was obviously to hate the move.

But I can kind of rationalize it. Arguably the worst weapons in the NFL outside of RB. No good offseason. Solid start derailed by COVID (idk if COVID symptoms include making you throw the ball 4 yards short of the receiver but he fell off a cliff after that). Good locker room presence for the team. Hopefully a good mentor/example to a young drafted QB. Who knows, maybe they fully believe in him and don't even draft a QB early and focus on WR/TE instead.

He was ok at first and sucked, sucked, sucked later on. Hopefully, it was a physical thing that can be corrected/heal up through the off season, and the Patriots will go after a rookie qb in the draft.

I also wonder if Cam being here makes it easier to sign Curtis Samuel. Cam can help translate Carolina offensive framework into NE-speak and fast-track Samuel more easily.

AFC East defensive coaches have just dusted off their "stack the box" play book

Wondering if Bill and Josh see potential having a guy like Newton/Lance in their system and want to keep pursuing that path offensively. Defenses are built to stop the pass first, run second these days so it is a good way to exploit that.

I definitely think so.

Our offense really was on the cutting edge on various concepts whether it was the spread or the rise of TEs because those were things that naturally worked with a pure pocket passer like Brady.

But we really stopped evolving except for adding minor things like sweeps and more motion into our offense for years because the newer concepts slowly making their way into the NFL required the QB to at least threaten a bit with mobility.

If there is one thing we have seen last year with Cam it is how valuable an actual dual threat QB can be. It is just math. And it spreads the opponents even thinner in their prep work because there is a lot of **** they have to gameplan for in a limited amount of time.

If Belichick truly thinks Lance or Jones are truly solid QBs of the future and he gets the one he does, this move makes sense. Then Cam is just a place holder to develop one of these guys. If Belichick is right and the Pats draft a guy who can win multiple Super Bowls, I don't even care if 2021 is another lost year because then they will have a high pick to better the team for the future. If he is wrong though....

Signing Newton made it imho more likely that we will make a move for someone like e. g. Lance.

There is some overlap between the two so whatever offense you build up via trades/FA this year would transition nicely into the strengths of the young guy once he takes over.
I just dont see how we are going to draft someone like Lance with the 15 pick. But im down with that strategy.

I'm okay with this...only if Belichick picks a good QB in the draft. Could be Mac Jones or Kyle Trask, but the point is that Cam should be a bridge QB only.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back