PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam Newton Interview: "I was bamboozled"

Agree Cam's career is screwed. Worst mistake ever was going to NE (not that he had any options), and then have an OC who never called any play action or passing plays last year in the red zone, he ran for 12 TDs and scored 20 total TDs with a crap supporting cast, zero credit for the rushing TDs while the running messed up his shoulder and foot with all the hits. And the dirty sneaky sleazy media and organizational rumors about him not being able to run no-huddle or 2-minute or know the playbook. Cam is well liked among league players so this absolutely just confirms league perceptions about Boston. But whatever, Mac is here so it's not like the Pats need a QB for the foreseeable future.
He literally said he couldn't identify the Mike or set protections. How do you run no huddle effectively if you can't do that? If he ran any no huddle it was a 1 read with oprion to take off. Dude is telling you he couldn't run the Pats offense even after a year and a full training camp in the system and you refuse to believe what he says, even after watching him sh*t the bed all year

I think this is a unique topic, as Cam Newton's interview today adds fuel to the fire beyond his release, and suggests more to the nefarious possible nature of the Pats organization or various sleazy people inside Foxborough (not to mention toxic Boston media).

- Cam says in retrospect it was all set up, irrespective of being out 5 days, because he was only getting a dozen snaps a day. Mac would get 2nd team snaps but then go back and get 1st team snaps every day.
- Says he went to Atlanta for a medical trip to get his foot (lisfranc) checked out. Said the whole travel plan was authorized by the Patriots staff. Said he did what the Patriots approved and was surprised then he had to sit 5 days (during which time Mac had high visibility that week including against the Giants).

Echo'ing a good comment @venecol made elsewhere: "If that's true, it makes me think someone was definitely trying to paint Cam in a poor light to justify his release. They leaked to media that people were livid inside the organization about his missing practice. Wow, that's pretty sleazy. WTF is going on in that building?"

It does sound like some people in the Pats building are being sleazy (not BB or Kraft). The Ninkovich comments were total bush league. Skip Bayless' criticism was spot on here in terms of a broader narrative, not exactly the best look for Boston. And whoever supposedly leaked the crap rumor to Ninkovich, the not knowing the playbook garbage rumors, is also a human POS.

I watched the interview and came away with an entirely different understanding of what happened and his attitude about it.

Reading your post does, however, provide me with insight into how crazy conspiracy theories get started.

Even if you think you got done dirty behind the scenes, this is exactly the wrong way to react. You're a grown-ass many crying to daddy in a video about how you got done wrong? GTFO.
Did you watch it? That's exactly the opposite of how he reacted. This OP is a hit piece. It is worthy of Boston sports talk radio.

Cam was a hard worker and a good teammate and I wish him well in the next chapter of his career/life, but I’m on to a QB who doesn’t need his center to identify the Mike and set protections pre-snap.

1631366807955.gif

Spinning and backpedaling everytime you get caught and look foolish. New screen name, same liar.

LA considered Cam in 2020 from Lynns mouth. Cam wanted to START in 2020.
Lynn said they “checked into him” and did nothing. Lynn choose Tyrod Taylor.

Newton himself said he would take a va lip job.
Facts aren’t your strength are they?

Newton then stated that the rest of the message — that he was being cut from the team instead of kept as a backup — wasn’t exactly articulated clearly at first.

“And it didn’t dawn on me that I was like … Y’all are releasing me?! I was just asking. I was confused,” Newton said. “Because Bill was like … we all were shocked. It was all uncomfortable for everybody.”

Cam thought the peoplr telling him he was cut were shocked by the news. Maybe he thinks their names were Mike.

So when do you report a story and when do you bury it?
Are you saying any negative information about any player should be buried and never reported?

Didn't say that at all. And I'm not saying what he said is entirely wrong; on the other hand, I'm 100% sure it's more nuanced to the effect of: they both were teaching each other.

At the time of the cut, it seemed even Cam was cool headed. Nink's report was a kick in the ass on the way out, which just caused unnecessary friction that has unraveled to this stupid drama. For the record, I also think it's dumb that Cam did this interview, especially with his dad.

If Nink is so concerned about the state of the Patriots, any brief calculus would've suggested to STFU and don't antagonize the situation. There is no point to the story, it's not like it revealed Cam was a cancer to other players, got away with stuff, etc. - it's just fuel to inflamme a mild situation. How many times do we hear similar reports from a reporter in the exact same fashion and go "shut up, you're just teasing out drama to create a headline."

For the record, I'm a journalist myself so that's why I'm annoyed by it.

Didn't say that at all. And I'm not saying what he said is entirely wrong; on the other hand, I'm 100% sure it's more nuanced to the effect of: they both were teaching each other.

At the time of the cut, it seemed even Cam was cool headed. Nink's report was a kick in the ass on the way out, which just caused unnecessary friction that has unraveled to this stupid drama. For the record, I also think it's dumb that Cam did this interview, especially with his dad.

If Nink is so concerned about the state of the Patriots, any brief calculus would've suggested to STFU and don't antagonize the situation. There is no point to the story, it's not like it revealed Cam was a cancer to other players, got away with stuff, etc. - it's just fuel to inflamme a mild situation. How many times do we hear similar reports from a reporter in the exact same fashion and go "shut up, you're just teasing out drama to create a headline."

For the record, I'm a journalist myself so that's why I'm annoyed by it.
Why is what he said entirely wrong if it’s true?
How are you “100% sure” it was misreported and they were both helping each other? Do you have a source? We’re you there?

Again I’ll ask if it’s true, why is it a “stupid report”? Why and where are you drawing the line that true reports should be buried?

Nink isn’t “concerned about the state of the patriots” he is reporting what a source told him. How does reporting it harm “the state of the patriots”?

Are you saying that as a reporter if you are told something about a public figure that they won’t like, you are obligated to bury it?
That makes no sense to me. Why would newton get different treatment than anyone else?

Pretty much sealed the deal.

I think the Pats found an opportunity rather than having the tough conversation saying a 10 year vet lost out to a rookie.

Just found this on youtube. Sorry if it was posted here before, but damn if it isn't hilarious. I remember this commercial too from years ago.

I think the Pats found an opportunity rather than having the tough conversation saying a 10 year vet lost out to a rookie.
Despite Bill saying that Mac won the starting job and cutting Cam? I mean, I get that they didn’t tell him to his face that he lost and that in Cam’s mind, he didn’t lose and it was weighted against him. But really, it doesn’t seem like there’s any way else to take the fact that most people reported Mac played better, that Cam got cut and they named Mac the starter than to say Mac won the job. Hell, the press asked Bill if it was because of the absence and he refused to say it was and had previously said it was a misunderstanding and Cam didn’t violate team rules. If that was the way the Pats took advantage of the absence to justify cutting Cam, they did a really, really terrible job of it.

Last edited:
Despite Bill saying that Mac won the starting job and cutting Cam? I mean, I get that they didn’t tell him to his face that he lost and that in Cam’s mind, he didn’t lose and it was weighted against him. But really, it doesn’t seem like there’s any way else to take the fact that most people reported Mac played better, that Cam got cut and they named Mac the starter than to say Mac won the job. Hell, the press asked Bill if it was because of the absence and he refused to say it was and had previously said it was a misunderstanding and Cam didn’t violate team rules. If that was the way the Pats took advantage of the absence to justify cutting Cam, they did a really, really terrible job of it.

Feom the beginning Mac was getting 5x more snaps everyday. So like Cam said in retrospect it was all disguised. I don't think there was a qb competition. Also not telling Cam he'd be locked out post-travel for 5 days is very fishy. But end of day this was the move all along regardless of the missing 5 days.

Why is what he said entirely wrong if it’s true?
How are you “100% sure” it was misreported and they were both helping each other? Do you have a source? We’re you there?

Again I’ll ask if it’s true, why is it a “stupid report”? Why and where are you drawing the line that true reports should be buried?

Nink isn’t “concerned about the state of the patriots” he is reporting what a source told him. How does reporting it harm “the state of the patriots”?

Are you saying that as a reporter if you are told something about a public figure that they won’t like, you are obligated to bury it?
That makes no sense to me. Why would newton get different treatment than anyone else?
because you are not allowed to say a black QB is struggling with the play book.

Feom the beginning Mac was getting 5x more snaps everyday. So like Cam said in retrospect it was all disguised. I don't think there was a qb competition. Also not telling Cam he'd be locked out post-travel for 5 days is very fishy. But end of day this was the move all along regardless of the missing 5 days.
I mean there's a lot of reasons to give Mac more reps. First and foremost because he's a rookie. Secondarily - it's Cam's second year here, they pretty much know what he can do. I don't think they really felt he was going to be a whole lot different than last year, so this competition wasn't necessarily "which of these two unknown guys is better than the other" and instead was more "is the new guy better than the established guy/is the new guy ready to take over for the established guy" - you need to give that guy reps to find out. They weren't gonna do themselves any favors giving Cam a ton of reps. Not really anything to learn from that and it leaves Mac as an unknown quantity.

I called it the day it happened. Pats found a loophole to give Mac reps and use it as an excuse to release Cam.

Why would they need a loop hole or a reason? They had the ability to split reps however they wanted and release Cam with 0 cap repercussions. It sounds like the media is trying to make a conspiracy where nothing exists

I dont think anyone realized he would be locked until it happened. That was the reports. That everyone was caught by surprise by the regulations of having to use a specific testing company.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back