PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

By the numbers: Patricia's offense downright offensive

As DC he mastered the "bend but don't break" defensive philosophy. We'll have to come up with a term for his offensive style. Maybe, "all brakes, no gas."
A defense with Vince Wilfork, Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovitch, Dont'a Hightower, Jaime Collins, Devon McCourty, Patrick Chung, and Darrell Revis shouldn't be "bend but don't break". They should be "we lock you down in the pass game and reign hell on you up front all game so that you can't move all game".

There's a reason when the coaches who succeeded Patricia even with less talent still had more explosive defenses.

Offense has been absolute disappointment, get a better play caller. The offense just doesn’t get things done and keeps putting defense in terrible situations.

I think part of Macs regression is because Patricia is clueless on how to run the offense. Mac hasn’t looked comfortable this season and it’s most likely because Patricia keeps putting him in terrible situations. Now expect Mac to be out for an extended period of time.

Hunter Henry went MIA, and it’s most likely because Patricia doesn’t know how to use tight ends.
Why did we put patricia a D coordinator incharge and that too of a new offense and expect him to deliver. is it really his fault? No team tries this stuff except we did.

Kinda hard to score when the opposing offense has the ball for 3/4 of the game.

Patricia is only one of the problems.

The offense is a conglomeration of issues. The OL being banged up, and not great to begin with even when the starters are healthy, is an issue.

We’re spending nearly $24M in cap space on two TEs that have given us a total of 2 TDs so far this season. None of our wideouts put the fear of God into the defense. Nobody is moving that other safety deep consistently to account for a game-breaker. I liked the fact that Jones saw time on offense last night and they drafted Thornton for his speed before simplifying the offense. So the latter’s lack of use, even if it’s just a shovel pass to get him the ball in space, is kind-boggling.

Mac hasn’t proven to be anything more than a mid starter in this league, either. It APPEARS as if he’s mentally soft still. Visibly pouts when something doesn’t go his way, runs way too hot, etc. But now, I’m also thinking he is physically soft. I was willing to give the slide before the first down marker last week a pass, but he did it again last night when the team could have used a tough leadership play. Lower your shoulder and fight. He’s also visibly skittish when the pocket begins to collapse, which was one of the big knocks on him at Bolles when he played here, locally. That’s why he was only a 3* recruit. But one could also blame that on his frame… previously.

Now we get to Fat Matt. He’s not an OC. That’s about as simple as I can make it. The offense did not need to change a lick from what has worked for two decades. Even given what I just said about Mac, he was a fit in the more traditional version of the E-P we were running. Patricia, as is often the case with “geniuses” out-thought himself and, for some reason, Bill listened. The offense is simplified and, because of that, it’s highly predictable. Is there any doubt that the ball is going to Meyers on a slant or a crosser, or to Rham on an out in key passing situations? I’ve already mentioned the lack of creativity with Thornton. His issues are exacerbated by what he has to work with as a play caller.

The only consistent bright spot on that side of the ball is Rham. Fat Matt has been bad. A fish out of water. But it’s unfair to put it all on him. This just isn’t a good offense. Look back to last year under McDaniels. Aside from a 50-point output against the the worst team in the league, the highest point total in the last quarter of the season was 24 points. After the Titans game, Mac and the offense got figured out based on what they put on tape, and we’ve seen more of the same this season unless we’re playing a bad pass defense.
Robert Weathers’ comment about Thursday’s game explains the reduction in offensive output after the bye in 2021 better than tape analysis of Jones’ faults. The defense, especially the run D, was abysmal after the bye last year. Consistent 7-8 minute opposition drives aren’t conducive to good offense output and points.

Plus, understanding the personal dynamic between Belichick and Patricia, it’s an exercise in denial thinking Patricia convinced Bill to change or simplify the offense. It was Bill’s idea not Matt’s. Matt doesn’t burp at his own kitchen table without Bill’ approval.

I remember watching a video segment on the NFL Network in 2020 when Patricia was coaching in the Senior Bowl of Matt running over to greet Bill and Josh McDaniels at a practice. The first thing Patricia said to Bill was “we’re on camera coach”. What a pathetic toady.

Lmao now Patricia is the QB whisperer? Are you watching the games? Take off the zappe covered glasses.

Mac is holding back Patricias brilliance...
No, I didn’t say “Patricia is a QB whisperer,” I said he looked like one. It was a comment on how poorly Mac was playing that Zappe stepped in and put up efficiency stats not seen by a first time starter since the 1950’s… oh yeah and the Patriots offense put up a season high scoring total.

Facts make you uncomfortable…
Zappe was awful against the bears, same as Mac. Just so happens they were both good when they played awful odd defenses for the most part, CLE, DET, and MIN

Zappe was awful against the bears, same as Mac. Just so happens they were both good when they played awful odd defenses for the most part, CLE, DET, and MIN
He didn’t practice and prepare as the starter that week, then entered the game and directed two TD drives after the offense had done nothing. After that the entire team collapsed. It was rainy, wet.

As a starter the kid is undefeated and looked great under the same exact conditions Mac was playing with. The Pats coaching wasn’t good last week, none of that absolves Mac’s poor play.

He didn’t practice and prepare as the starter that week, then entered the game and directed two TD drives after the offense had done nothing. After that the entire team collapsed. It was rainy, wet.

As a starter the kid is undefeated and looked great under the same exact conditions Mac was playing with. The Pats coaching wasn’t good last week, none of that absolves Mac’s poor play.
They went into the game knowing Mac wasn’t going to play the full game, they prepared for both qbs to play. They were both awful. Again, Mac was good against an awful Minnesota defense as well, turns out the offense is only good against bad competition no matter who’s out there

I also haven’t absolved Macs play, he’s been awful too

Last edited:
They went into the game knowing Mac wasn’t going to play the full game, they prepared for both qbs to play.
This is an utter load of crap, if Mac looked great in Chicago he was never coming out... he started the very next week.

BB was protecting his player. It was a poor gameplan, like I said at the time... they should have stayed with the hot hand.

This is an utter load of crap, if Mac looked great in Chicago he was never coming out... he started the very next week.

BB was protecting his player. It was a poor gameplan, like I said at the time... they should have stayed with the hot hand.
So you’re saying BB lied? Reporting before the game lines up with Bill

They went into the game knowing Mac wasn’t going to play the full game, they prepared for both qbs to play. They were both awful. Again, Mac was good against an awful Minnesota defense as well, turns out the offense is only good against bad competition no matter who’s out there

I also haven’t absolved Macs play, he’s been awful too
This is not correct. Mac took 100% of the 1st team snaps. Zappe said he was taking mental snaps.

This is not correct. Mac took 100% of the 1st team snaps. Zappe said he was taking mental snaps.

Why did reporting confirm that they weren’t 100% in on Mac playing the full game?

Facts make you uncomfortable…
If they were facts, they wouldn’t make me uncomfortable. What you did was simply throw up cherry picked stats without context. That’s a big no-no, sir. No insight into the opponents they played. You left out Zappe’s stinker against Chicago, which I’m sure you’ll excuse away somehow, because you’re operating with confirmation bias. It’s a lazy post.

If they were facts, they wouldn’t make me uncomfortable. What you did was simply throw up cherry picked stats without context. That’s a big no-no, sir. No insight into the opponents they played. You left out Zappe’s stinker against Chicago, which I’m sure you’ll excuse away somehow, because you’re operating with confirmation bias. It’s a lazy post.
He already has excused that one away, look a handful of posts up

He already has excused that one away, look a handful of posts up
I’d rather not. I’ll be drinking tonight and I could stand to save the brain cells.

So you’re saying BB lied? Reporting before the game lines up with Bill
I already said what BB did.

He protected his player after he got booed off the field to chants for Zappe.

They’re not “cherry picked stats.” They’re simple basic QB stats that are inconvenient for you.

The Pats don’t call plays where the QB throws deep or even intermediate very often. That allows the D to cheat by playing tighter because they really don’t have to worry about the deep ball. Matt Patricia calls the plays.

They can’t throw deep because the OL doesn’t give the QB time. Matt Patricia coaches the OL.

They don’t execute the short game (see, for example, Pats 2001-4) because there are mistakes even on the staple NE plays that we’ve watched for years. So the offense lacks coordination. Matt Patricia is the de facto offensive coordinator.

It's not the whole story, but do you see a pattern here?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back