PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buy low- Carson Wentz

No way Wentz would want to come to NE. I think we have to get used to the fact that we are not THAT team anymore.
Count me as one that doesn’t want wentz and that absurd contract. But from wentz perspective this take makes no sense. Philly kept the wrong guy in Pederson over Reich so switching from his current staff to BB is an upgrade for him. Now on the field we can expect upgrades at wr in 2021 with our already solid run game and one of the better OLs in football. Compare that to the current Eagles OL and their cap situation going forward. I’d argue a trade to NE could save his career if there’s anything salvageable (if Philly hasn’t permanantely broken him).

Team chemistry-wise, though, it'd be tough to have a guy in the room who was supposed to be the guy in that franchise and who thinks he never got a fair shot demoted to clipboard holder. And if you think there's anything to a backup QB's ability to mentor a rookie, what would Darnold be able to offer Lawrence when Darnold never figured out how to thrive himself?
Darnit could tell the rookie where the ghosts are. ;)

Count me as one that doesn’t want wentz and that absurd contract. But from wentz perspective this take makes no sense. Philly kept the wrong guy in Pederson over Reich so switching from his current staff to BB is an upgrade for him. Now on the field we can expect upgrades at wr in 2021 with our already solid run game and one of the better OLs in football. Compare that to the current Eagles OL and their cap situation going forward. I’d argue a trade to NE could save his career if there’s anything salvageable (if Philly hasn’t permanantely broken him).
Speaking of the Fourth Reich...I wonder if Indy is in the proper financial condition to swing a trade for Wentz and re-unite him with his old OC...

Speaking of the Fourth Reich...I wonder if Indy is in the proper financial condition to swing a trade for Wentz and re-unite him with his old OC...
They actually have more cap space than we do. You have to think they’re offloading 1 of Rivers/Brissett, they have ok wrs and a strong OL. Plus coaching familiarity so if there’s a team that’s willing to help Philly offload this contract they should be considered the favorites.

They actually have more cap space than we do. You have to think they’re offloading 1 of Rivers/Brissett, they have ok wrs and a strong OL. Plus coaching familiarity so if there’s a team that’s willing to help Philly offload this contract they should be considered the favorites.

Indy has approximately $68M in cap space for 2021. However, they only have 38 players signed and only Jacob Eason for as a QB. Compare that to the Patriots having 48 players under contract with $62M and Stidham as the only QB. The Pats having 10 more players signed actually puts them in a better cap position. Especially when 2 of those players are being rumored as retiring in Cannon and Hightower.. Which would free up another $15M or so..

Ok- sign me up for this

A key principle of investing is to buy when the stock is low and sell when it is high. For the patriots this principle applies to Carson Wentz. I feel this would be a great time to try to trade for Wentz. I think you could get him for a second round pick, which I would do in a second. It would be great value and I think within the Pats structure he would rapidly return to his old form and allow for Pats to be a top contender for years to come. They will have the cap dollars next year to absorb the financial hit.
I would worry about him being in our division with better coaching, but the contract does not make him cheap. I think there will be better FA QBs.

Does Bill want to draft one and develop him? Does he have time?
I mean, if you want to get an expensive QB, go get Stafford. What about Alex Smith? He would be great with McDaniels.

As a Bills fan, I hope they draft one and fail miserably, but I suspect Bill does not want to wait and will find a better option than freakin' Cam. He looks like a poor man's version of Kapernick at this point.

Oh great! Another has-been quarterback that the genius can go 8-8 with.

Pass-pass-pass on Wentz.

let Indy trade some used jock straps for him,

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up in IND with Reich.

Last edited:
Indy has approximately $68M in cap space for 2021. However, they only have 38 players signed and only Jacob Eason for as a QB. Compare that to the Patriots having 48 players under contract with $62M and Stidham as the only QB. The Pats having 10 more players signed actually puts them in a better cap position. Especially when 2 of those players are being rumored as retiring in Cannon and Hightower.. Which would free up another $15M or so..
Great information, did we ever get confirmation about Cannon and Hightower or was their retirement just rumored?

So, Carson Wentz from a really good qb one year to....

Great information, did we ever get confirmation about Cannon and Hightower or was their retirement just rumored?
Some random guy on IG said he heard they were retiring and now everyone is taking it as credible rumor. Not saying it isn't possible, makes perfect sense... On Toucher and Rich a few weeks back they called the guy out as full of crap...I guess the same guy has been full of crap on multiple occasions with different Boston sports hot-takes.

Personally, I think it's a perfectly conceivable (and even likely?) idea, but I don't think the person who reported this has any actual intel. However, maybe there were additional reports from more credible sources that would know this stuff (Howe, Reiss, Curran, Zolak etc..) that got some intel.

I think we still need HT for one more year to lead the D.. We don't have any great leaders yet in that Front 7. Cannon can be replaced - would rather that money go to Thuney.

I would take a chance on Wentz, if we can have him for fairly cheap (not a first round pick cheap). He has proven success in the NFL and is still very young. I doubt BB goes in that direction though. Wentz is a gun slinger who takes a lot of chances, and that's the opposite of what BB values in a QB.

No thanks. His contract is an albatross and he's done. I never liked him out of college and he's injury prone, too. For all the hype the Eagles got 3 years ago, their hangover from their lucky SB win, reading all those press clippings and writing books about it, really has them spiraling. Pederson will get the blame, but Roseman isn't far behind in the hot seat.

Excellent info. This is the right answer and logic. NE is in amazing position to flip this around overnight because Belichick already started the rebuild in 2018 with Wynn, Michel and JC Jackson as the impact yield.

If Stidham was to work out, the 2019 draft might end up looking like the '86 49ers draft or one of the classic drafts when the smoke clears.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

1) NE is in amazing position to flip this around overnight because Belichick already started the rebuild in 2018 with Wynn, Michel and JC Jackson as the impact yield.

2) If Stidham was to work out, the 2019 draft might end up looking like the '86 49ers draft or one of the classic drafts when the smoke clears.
1) You mean as the only yield...

2) Exqueeze me?

1) You mean as the only yield...

2) Exqueeze me?
I know you HATE facts.
1) From 2018 - Bentley and Izzo. Not to mention the that the pick they got for Crossen became Maluia and the pick from Dawson became Herron.

2) Winovich, Harris, and Bailey are already huge players for us. Contrary to you, Cowart is actually pretty decent in the middle, though he's better suited as an UT than a NT. Then you have Williams and Harry who are still progressing. To this point, the only player to be a "bust" is Froholdt as the jury is still out on Cajuste.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back