PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buy low- Carson Wentz

NO, no no a thousand times NO!!! Wentz is the poster child for bad decisions. He has 6 games this year with multiple interceptions and most were the "WTF throws were that" type. He has regressed the last few years with higher int % and lower completion and TD%.......
Eagles are in cap hell, why bail them out with a trade????? Let
them "have fun" and figure out how to field a team in 2021 and get under the cap.....

Better to build a defense that can stop any team and run it like broncos and get a game manager . We might not be able to draft the next Brady or mahomes but we can definitely draft and develops the next aaron donalds , gilmores, and bosas.

Play checkers when everyone is playing chess.we might not win many Superbowls but will always be in with a chance if we have a balanced roster..Nick foles could ideally be a good fit for this team now..

A key principle of investing is to buy when the stock is low and sell when it is high. For the patriots this principle applies to Carson Wentz. I feel this would be a great time to try to trade for Wentz. I think you could get him for a second round pick, which I would do in a second. It would be great value and I think within the Pats structure he would rapidly return to his old form and allow for Pats to be a top contender for years to come. They will have the cap dollars next year to absorb the financial hit.
No, No, nO, NO!

What was everyone's thoughts when Miami dumped Tannehill? Sometimes reclamation projects work out. I don't know why Wentz has become such a turnover machine, though.

What was everyone's thoughts when Miami dumped Tannehill? Sometimes reclamation projects work out. I don't know why Wentz has become such a turnover machine, though.
Mechanics, injuries & simply trying to “save the world” on every play. He needs to scale it back..Also, I’m not sure if he’s mentally built for Philly..That Foles statue definitely got to him...I do like Wentz though.

I think Wentz is a tough call. Pats have the oline and running game to support his style. Seems like ever since the knee injury he hasn’t had the urge to take off for that first down though. That was a big part of his early success.

He’s got talent, he can throw the deep ball, either he’s just done or hit a learning curve, maybe developed an attitude? Who knows accept his teammates and coaches. Maybe a change of scenery would help but the price of that contract is just way too high to go off on a limb or a hunch that you can fix him.

giphy.gif

NO, no no a thousand times NO!!! Wentz is the poster child for bad decisions. He has 6 games this year with multiple interceptions and most were the "WTF throws were that" type. He has regressed the last few years with higher int % and lower completion and TD%.......
Eagles are in cap hell, why bail them out with a trade????? Let
them "have fun" and figure out how to field a team in 2021 and get under the cap.....
The last time I watched Wentz I said to my wife, "this guy is due for a dumb play" and his next pass was a forced, lobbed swing pass that was an easy pick 6. To this day I don't think Philly would have made it to the SB in17, or beaten the Pats if they did, with that dipstick as their QB for the whole season. I'm also having fun watching Wentzylvania.

Signing Tannehill for $2M to be a backup is different than trading for Wentz @ $30M. If you get Wentz you have to be pretty sure you can fix him. And if they feel that way, so be it! I'd be mildly surprised.

He’s not even good enough to play for the Eagles

Wow. Just looked the contract up.

Considering Wenz is not starting, that is the worse contract in the league by far.

No way

Wentz is making $25.4 million fully guaranteed in new money next year. If he on the roster for 2021, then $15 million of his $22 million 2022 salary becomes fully guaranteed. That's either a one year, $40 million or two year, $47 million commitment. That's not buying low.

The Eagles are going to try to give away Wentz for free this offseason, and they're not going to find any takers. They might be able to get rid of him if they include a pick, comparable to the Osweiler trade.
I could be mistaken but I thought I read Biden will be forgiving student loans and bad QB contracts in the new year.

No. Never saw anything great about him even when his team was doing well before his injury.

Wentz isn't going ANYWHERE this off-season. The Eagles are in one of the worst CAP Situations at 65M OVER their adjusted cap for next year with only 45 players under contract. If they cut/trade Wentz prior to June 1, they take an ADDITIONAL $24.5m CAP HIT. As it is, they are going to have to push money into 2022-2025 just to be able to clear enough cap space.

Likely cap casualties include Alshon Jeffrey, Zach Ertz, and DeSean Jackson. That only frees up about $15M if they are cut outright.

Changing Salary to SB, The Eagles can free up money with the following (I reduced salary to 1M and amortized the changes over 5 years). I listed the resulting savings. I list the TOTAL Savings for 2021 and the yearly amortization for the following 4 years.

Fletcher Cox - $11.2M / $2.8M
Brandon Brooks - $7.2M / 1.8M
Brandon Graham - $9.6M / $2.4M
Darius Slay - $8.8M / 2.2M$
Malik Jackson - $6.4M / $1.6M
Javon Hargrove - $9.4M / $2.35M

They would have to sign Derek Barnett to a new extension to reduce his 10.5M cap hit.

So. ALL those moves would save $78M (give or take) but would give them less than 13M to sign draft picks, their ERFA and RFA. Of their Free Agents, the only big ticket guy is Jalen Mills.

Now, maybe @Miguel can see more ways to save money than I can, but I just don't see any way for the Eagles to part ways with Wentz unless he violates the morality clauses that the team and league have.

I didn't mention pushing any of Wentz's salary out because, as it is, his contract is an albatross and I don't see them wanting to hamstring themselves

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back