PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buy low- Carson Wentz

Carson Wentz, Nick Mullens....why do people on here want to sign every schitt quarterback in the league? Next Patsfans thread..."Should WE sign Cody Carlson"...the WE thing here is annoying... no one here is on the team and frankly no one on the team gives a crap about anyone on this forum
I just use the term we because its easy to type and I'm just saying we as in our team. I know we don't work for the Patriots.

Trading for Wentz is the antithesis of buying low.

Considering his contract versus his performance it would be more like having a long term investment plan centered on buying JC Penney stock when it was $86 in 2007.

They always have the Pats up there when players are under speculation to be on the move, even though in the overwhelming majority of cases the Pats are not the eventual destination...
Facts....but put I NOTHING past ol’ Palpatine ;)

Last edited:
When I said "buy low", I was not talking about his contract, I was talking about the trade assets required to gte a franchise QB.

In fact the Eagles might have to give the patriots a draft pick to take on his salary.

When I said "buy low", I was not talking about his contract, I was talking about the trade assets required to gte a franchise QB.

In fact the Eagles might have to give the patriots a draft pick to take on his salary.
You're making a HUGE assumption that Wentz is a "Franchise QB".

From everything I gather from the media... it doesn't seem like Wentz is perceived very well by the media or fans. In short, people seem to think he sucks. I still believe to this day, we win SB 52 if we faced Wentz.

If not for that albatross of a contract I'd definitely take a shot. I remember people bagging on Tannehill for years. Saying he'd never amount to anything, even after leaving Mia. He's not bad when given some weapons and competent coaching? Wentz hasn't played well but that OL has been a mash unit. Not exactly a stacked offense if you take a look and DP deserves as much criticism as Wentz. All set bc of the contract though.

I just use the term we because its easy to type and I'm just saying we as in our team. I know we don't work for the Patriots.
I've had this discussion before here but missed the post to which you're responding.

I will never apologize or feel the need to defend my use of the term "we" when discussing the Patriots. I was a fan of this team 30 years before the McCourty's were born and have spent countless hours and dollars supporting this team. I earned that right.

I want to put Brady in the past and seriously compete for a Super Bowl trophy in 2021.

No to Wentz at any price unless you want to jump out of the frying pan and into the fire. He has never been the same since landing on IR and Foles taking over. Total disaster this season 16 TDs - 15 INTs - 4 Fumbles.

A resounding NO to Darnold too. He was another cant miss QB who was overhyped in that draft. Awful, injured, turnover machine. 2020 Sam Darnold Player Stats + Fantasy Stats

That is fair. It is a big assumption. For the year they won the SB he was a top 3 QB until his injury. Up until this year when he has been healthy he has been VERY good, probably a top 10 QB.
To get that top tier QB have to take some risks unless like the jets you want to tank OR you get incredibly lucky in the draft Brady).

Wentz potentially would give the Patriots the quickest chance to reascend to a top 5 team in the NFL. It is not a sure thing.
Yes its risky, but what I have seen from Wentz is that this year is likely an extreme outlier an aberration and is partly due to terrible O-line and no playmakers.

He has a great arm, great size, decent speed, lots of experience, is tough, still relatively young. Main concern is pocket awareness.

Is it a risk worth taking...its debatable BUT if McDaniels was confident he could turn him around, probably a risk worth taking.

Sam Darnold is a pipe dream. The Jets will NEVER trade him to the Patriots.
Quite honestly, if I’m the Jets, I’d keep him one more year. I think he would make a good, cheap backup for the next season before his rookie deal expires/accelerates.

From everything I gather from the media... it doesn't seem like Wentz is perceived very well by the media or fans. In short, people seem to think he sucks. I still believe to this day, we win SB 52 if we faced Wentz.
I mean, Foles and Brady had two of the greatest quarterbacking performances in the history of the Super Bowl that day, so that's not a stretch by any means.

Quite honestly, if I’m the Jets, I’d keep him one more year. I think he would make a good, cheap backup for the next season before his rookie deal expires/accelerates.
Team chemistry-wise, though, it'd be tough to have a guy in the room who was supposed to be the guy in that franchise and who thinks he never got a fair shot demoted to clipboard holder. And if you think there's anything to a backup QB's ability to mentor a rookie, what would Darnold be able to offer Lawrence when Darnold never figured out how to thrive himself?

Team chemistry-wise, though, it'd be tough to have a guy in the room who was supposed to be the guy in that franchise and who thinks he never got a fair shot demoted to clipboard holder. And if you think there's anything to a backup QB's ability to mentor a rookie, what would Darnold be able to offer Lawrence when Darnold never figured out how to thrive himself?

I don’t think he would want to hold a clipboard. I think darnold would love to be released so he could pick a team. I think it’s low risk high reward with him.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back