PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler's interception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patters

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if any Pats fan can ever get tired of it. I think I'm like many of us who up until that interception lived off the 2001 Patriots Superbowl as a the most amazing high a football game ever provided. But, if anything came close, it was surely the end of the 2015 Superbowl.

I was watching the game with a couple of friends. The whole game was competitive and very suspenseful, but nothing compared with the last 2 minutes. After Kearse made his amazing catch, I turned the sound off on my tv not wanting to hear the cheers of the Seahawks fans. At least one of my friends had his eyes closed. I didn't. In real time, it was difficult to see what happened, but judging from the first reactions on the field I meekly said, "I think we won." Then, we put the sound back on, watched the replay over and over again, and, man, it really was like 2001 all over again.

You've probably all seen this video multiple times, but I think it's worth watching again. For me, it's the strongest evidence that the Pats just don't quit and will be prepared for anything the Falcons come up with.

After the Kearse catch I went outside to commiserate with my brother-in-law while he had a smoke. We heard my nephew yell "pick!" and we ran in. I missed it live. :(

It was still the best night ever.

After the Kearse catch I went outside to commiserate with my brother-in-law while he had a smoke. We heard my nephew yell "pick!" and we ran in. I missed it live. :(
After the Kearse catch I said something that could have sent me straight to hell. Thankfully I'm still here . . .

The first video on this YouTube is still my favorite reaction ("He picked it! He picked the f****ing ball! Yaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!".

I don't know if any Pats fan can ever get tired of it. I think I'm like many of us who up until that interception lived off the 2001 Patriots Superbowl as a the most amazing high a football game ever provided. But, if anything came close, it was surely the end of the 2015 Superbowl.

I was watching the game with a couple of friends. The whole game was competitive and very suspenseful, but nothing compared with the last 2 minutes. After Kearse made his amazing catch, I turned the sound off on my tv not wanting to hear the cheers of the Seahawks fans. At least one of my friends had his eyes closed. I didn't. In real time, it was difficult to see what happened, but judging from the first reactions on the field I meekly said, "I think we won." Then, we put the sound back on, watched the replay over and over again, and, man, it really was like 2001 all over again.

You've probably all seen this video multiple times, but I think it's worth watching again. For me, it's the strongest evidence that the Pats just don't quit and will be prepared for anything the Falcons come up with.

I had the sound off for most of the game. The going on and on and on about deflated footballs just pissed me off.

Literally as Seattle lined up before the play, I said to my self "Why are you watching this, it's like watching your own executions"

As the play happened it was the same for me as you described. Because I had the sound off, I did not get what happened immediately. My indication that it was an interception was due to the pats reaction. I sat there and stared making sure the celebration would continue and stared at the bottom right of the screen making sure a flag symbol didn't pop up. I turned the sound on just soon enough to hear a devastated Collinsworth cry about the call. I mean anyone who did not know he was an announcer would have thought it was a devastated Seattle fan.

I have probably seen that play 3-400 times.

When it seemed so obvious we were going to lose a 3rd Super Bowl on a Flukey catch, probably even more flukey then the helmet catch, only to have it snatched back with one of the most improbably interceptions in the history of the game....

What a moment.

After the Kearse Catch I turned to my Bro and said "Well, it's now at least 10 to 1 against us and maybe 100 to 1...but if anybody can pull this off..it's us."

And that's a Quote.

Honestly texted my best friend and said "Not again....not like this." as he like me doesn't like to be around people during Pats super bowls since to him too many non fans annoy him. Then watching the rest of the drive was just painful knowing what was coming.....then that happened and the rest is history.

On Malcolm's pick I let out a primal scream with clenched fists and scared the crap out of my entire family and our two dogs.

I think the dogs still have PTSD.

Yeah I was watching at my cousin's house. After the INT and my reaction, his junior high school age daughter, who cares very little about sports, came out of her room and asked in a half curious, half concerned way: "What is going on?!"

Yeah I was watching at my cousin's house. After the INT and my reaction, his junior high school age daughter, who cares very little about sports, came out of her room and asked in a half curious, half concerned way: "What is going on?!"

Yea after the Kearse play and the big time stop on Beast Mode, I had actually started the process of emotionally preparing myself for the inevitable TD run to make it 31-28.

What a roller-coaster of emotions. Sheesh.

Oh I was ready for the 99% chance of the letdown but god DAMN did I love the outcome.

Then for 3 months I watched what Butler did on that play frame by frame in slow motion to see how good that play really was.

Seattle was lucky to get the Kearse catch. We were "lucky"( Not even sure I'd call that luck) to get the pick. Won't erase the worst loss ( SB 42) in franchise history though.

Was lucky enough to be at the game. Sitting in section 106 row 25 seat 9. Surrounded by Seahawks fans already congratulating each other and celebrating the impending win. Us Pats fans standing quietly in disbelief that "this" was happening again. Eyes checking the scoreboard," maybe they can get the ball back with time to score?" Nope. Brain struggling to find any path that would lead to a Pats victory.

Ball is snapped. Then it's just a blur. It takes a split second for what just happened to sink in. "He picked it!!! Oh my God!!!! No flags!!!! He picked it!!!!

The celebration by Pats fans in our section is deafening. Jubilation on the verge of being violent. Seahawks fans must have all spontaneously combusted because I don't remember seeing any after that. Game ends with the GOAT kneeling it out. PURE JOY!!!!

That play has changed the course of NFL history.

Consider this:

Without it, the Seahawks would have won back-to-back, the first team since Pats 03/04, the confidence their squad would've had from those titles, would've been through the roof for the next couple of years. Instead they lost all confidence in the coaching staff and they've never been the same, chemistry wise.

Brady would have been 3-3 in the SB and losing another final on the height of Deflagate would have been all the ammo the critics would have needed. Remember all the ''never won post Spygate'' nonsense? This would have been even worse. Would he ever recover from three loses like that? Even someone as mentally tough and persistent as Brady surely has a boiling point. Instead that win crowned his legacy and Brady=GOAT became the norm, and he's now a win away from his record fifth ring that will destroy any and all doubt about who the greatest is.

It's a play whose magnitude becomes bigger and bigger with every day.

In retrospect I was actually very calm after the Kearse catch but everything between that and the pick is kind of a blur

It was still the best night ever.

Same here. I just turned off the game and couldn't believe our luck with the kearse catch. By the time i turned the game on i saw NE with the ball on the 1 yard line.

I live just outside Seattle. After the pick I went outside and went on an F-bomb laced tirade against Seattle and all their fans. I think my neighbors still hate me. Their misery still warms my heart to this day.

The whole "Why didn't they run the ball?" lament goes up in smoke if Butler doesn't hold onto that ball. I've seen enough high speed collisions between WRs and DBs at the moment the ball arrives to conclude that ball almost always ends up on the ground as a broken up pass. Just a miraculous catch by Butler. Maybe the odds of him holding onto that ball are on par with the odds of Lynch fumbling the ball away or not getting 1yd in 3 plays.

But he did hold onto that ball, so of course in hindsight the Seahawks blew the game. :rollseyes:

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back