PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler's agent in search for 1st rounder + big contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
@pfcentral
I can confirm four teams have contacted New England about dealing their first round pick for Malcolm Butler. One team is in AFC East.
Biggest holdup? Giving up their 1st and having to pay such a lucrative contract .

These teams value those first round picks but you getting a proven guy and he improves your passing defense.

If anything, IF the Pats said we won't pay you over 10M, the agent left out the part, "but that's if we roll in the 4m your client is contractually obligated to play for this year".

Or in other words, we won't pay you a dime over 4/40. But you get 10M this year instead of 4M, and you don't have to worry about injuries or security going forward.

Which is a good deal, he gets financial security this year, and NE gets a reduced AAV over the length of the contract.

This by the way works out to 4/12/12/12 which is pretty good 3yrs FA for a 1 CB.

Also factoring in the about another 1M per year as "insurance" in case he's injured this year, works out (to me if I was getting the salary) as worth about 4/13/13/13.

Again pretty good for a #1CB.

But of course, the agent has conveniently left out that detail. And why do I think he left it out? bc/it benefits his argument, like every omission or other vague detail that has been leaked so far, presumably by said agent.

Obviously, this is just conjecture on my part, but that's all we have because the agent isn't really filling in the details. But I really find it hard to believe NE wouldn't pay Butler (or similar skilled player) more than 10M per if he were hypothetically a pure free agent this year. They obviously value the DB position highly (look at the salaries they've given out to Gilmore/DM). Just not as highly as this agent, he of a RFA client, wants them too.

And if you put 1 and 1 together, and had to "assign" blame or miscalculation on the matter, who would you think made the mistake? NE and years of experienced braintrust, or a 1st time, one client neophyte agent rumored to have a bit of an ego? One where and any "noise" he makes actually helps get his name in the papers and might possibly further his career. If he mucks this up, he's literally done for. He gasping for air now, trying to save face bc/he overplayed his hand, pissed BB into making a neutralizing move, and now is trying to grab anything that might help save him while simultaneously throwing flotsam to confuse the sharks.

Last edited:
@pfcentral
I can confirm four teams have contacted New England about dealing their first round pick for Malcolm Butler. One team is in AFC East.
Biggest holdup? Giving up their 1st and having to pay such a lucrative contract .

Most likely Miami, they won't have much left in the cap after signing Butler, if that were to happen.

The tits would make sense but idk their cap situation. They where near the bottom of the league in pass defense. They have two first rounders.

Butler for Chase Daniel?

Got it! So we Trade Butler for Chase Daniel straight up, ship Jimmy G to whomever gives up king's ransom. It works out seamslessly, because we'll have our future franchise QB situation solved & Daniel could also play CB in a pinch (6'0- 200lb guy). Nice size
Good God NOOOOO!!! I live in the New Orleans area and trust me when I tell you Stephone Anthony is not that good. He is a good athletic player, but doesn't recognize things until it is too late. I'm pretty sure Mr. Pherein can back me up on this.
Lol ok I'll take your word for it.

Can I ask where everyone is getting these numbers from? I keep seeing (conflicting) references to long-term contracts that Butler supposedly turned down at various points, but if there's a reliable source for that info I've missed it. Do we even know for certain that the Pats made any long-term offer at all? Link please?

I'm also a little puzzled that the idea of Butler's agent shopping around for a suitor is considered a big deal. Surely that's his job? It's pretty routine for RFAs to seek a market-value deal with another team -- just ask Chris Hogan and Wes Welker. Obviously the 1st-round tender makes it a hard sell, but you have to at least try.

It's an amalgamation of various reports. Jeff Howe reported that a) Pats offered 6-7m a year and b) Pats wouldn't pay over $10m a year for a CB not named Revis (and subsequently Gilmore it seems).

Butler's agent said they last received an offer last offseason.

It's also been reported that Pats did not want to rip up the 2 years they had him under contract for $4.5m, and instead wanted an extension.

Put these things together and its fair to assume that the Pats told Butler that they will offer him 2 years with total pay of $4.5m and then an extension of roughly $10m a year. Over 5 years, which is a standard contract extension, that is $34.5m, or just under $7m a year.

there was no one report about the deal but I think there is enough reporting out there to put 2 and 2 together.

It's an amalgamation of various reports. Jeff Howe reported that a) Pats offered 6-7m a year and b) Pats wouldn't pay over $10m a year for a CB not named Revis (and subsequently Gilmore it seems).

Butler's agent said they last received an offer last offseason.

It's also been reported that Pats did not want to rip up the 2 years they had him under contract for $4.5m, and instead wanted an extension.

Put these things together and its fair to assume that the Pats told Butler that they will offer him 2 years with total pay of $4.5m and then an extension of roughly $10m a year. Over 5 years, which is a standard contract extension, that is $34.5m, or just under $7m a year.

there was no one report about the deal but I think there is enough reporting out there to put 2 and 2 together.

If true, sounds like BillB sees Butler as a #2 CB.

If true, sounds like BillB sees Butler as a #2 CB.

At the time of the offer, that was low end 1 numbers. I think the Pats really like Butler but understand his physical limitations - he is under 5ft 10, runs a 4.5+. He hasn't been given the big no 1 WR matchups - Julio Jones, Demaryious Thomas, Dez Bryant, AJ Green etc, I think in part because of his size. He got Beckham and Brown, who are smaller.

I think they rate him as a good not great corner, which I think he is. Worth paying but not as a top 5 guy, which I think he wants

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News