PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Butler & Saints working towards finalizing a deal (Thread now UFC Pats Fans Event)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This cake was baked days ago. The chefs are just deciding what kind of icing.

In BB's mind:
He's replaced his #1 CB
And if NE gets their #1 pick back, the Pats will now have cost control over a premium asset for up to 5 years compared to Butler's 1 year

They can and will get fleeced if Belichick wants to do Payton a favor.

I keep hearing this theory. When has something like this EVER happened? BB and SP being friends simply means they try to deal fairly with each other.

The only time I've ever heard of an RFA going on different terms than the associated pick was when the Pats threw in a 7th so Miami wouldn't match for Welker.

BB's responsibility is to the Patriots, period. I could still see Butler going for less than the 11th pick, but what that would tell me isn't that BB did SP a solid, but rather that Butler, or his agent, were becoming such trouble (Jamie Collins? Chandler and the weed?) and BB realized he couldn't possibly keep the guy beyond the one year (and maybe thought Butler would start freelancing that year) and so he tried to grab whatever value he could get now.

Also, if they do trade Butler, it might be a hint that Jimmy is getting franchised next year.

People freaking out, here is what it means to have a first round tender:

What does the New England Patriots' first-round tender mean for Malcolm Butler?

We still have the leverage. BB is not stupid. Chill people WTF. We'll be fine.
BB is not stupid but he is oftentimes impetuous and dumps people for less than
their actual value: see Easley, Collins, and Chandler Jones. He might dump Butler
to his buddy Payton for 10 cents on the dollar. Minimum value should be the Patriots
get the picks back that they traded for Cooks or the 32nd pick back plus a #2 next year.

I'll do cartwheels if the Pats just don't get fleeced and at least get their #1 pick back. Probably no chance of that happening though.
he made a deal. Not getting fleeced.

If NOLA makes an offer, how long do the Pats have to match it?

Butler + Amendola for their 2nd and 3rd

Saints wanted to trade Cooks before giving the 700K bonus. You think they'd be willing to take up Amendola's contract? Especially when they'd still have to pay Butler.

I wouldn't be shocked if BB and SP already have set some terms for a deal. But if I'm BB and they hammer out a contract I don't answer the phone when they call for a trade. What then they can submit the offer sheet or they wasted their and Butlers time.
This. If the Saints are close to signing Butler then a trade has been already been worked out between the teams. We just don't know the terms but will know soon. If no deal is reached then Butler will play here for 2017. I'm definitely fine with that.

I believe the sequence would have to be (and please someone correct me if I am wrong):
  1. Butler/Saints work out a salary agreement that is technically non-binding (becuase this would totally hinge on the Pats being on-board and willing to follow along)
  2. Butler signs his tender offer
  3. Patriots trade Butler to Saints and get 32nd pick back
There's no way that NO signs him to an offer sheet and looses their #11 but I can easily see this going back to the original deal of Butler for Cooks. Which is what that would net out to be.
So if you are BB, you say, if you want him, sweeten the pot, i.e. add say a 2nd and 3rd, or have Butler sign the offer sheet. Seems to me that BB is holding the cards (doesn't mean he will play them).

I'm not bashing anyone. I asked who he was, as I have no recollection of anyone by that name playing for the team that's been led by Tom and Bill to two SBs in the last 3 years.
And yet, without that play or the heads up play before that to push him out of bounds after outstanding coverage on a circus catch, they may only have one in the last three.

he made a deal. Not getting fleeced.

When was the last time BB was fleeced when not backed into a corner?

Jamie Collins does not count

Leverage doesn't matter if Belichick is sick of a guy and wants him gone. He'll dump him as fast as he can for whatever, see Easley/Collins.

Agreed. But we dont know what the Pats want or what their trying to accomplish. All I'm saying is... no matter what the "momentum" maybe, the Patriots won't operate on Malcolm Butler's timeline or that of his idiot agent

In BB's mind:
He's replaced his #1 CB
And if NE gets their #1 pick back, the Pats will now have cost control over a premium asset for up to 5 years compared to Butler's 1 year

Exactly. Fans seem to assume BB was shocked with Malcolm's negotiating position.

BB saw this coming weeks, maybe months ago and Caserio started soft-peddling him then

Last edited:

In BB's mind:
He's replaced his #1 CB
Makes you wonder if he has other plans in mind for the franchise tag next season...

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back