PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bush to 49ers

As I stated earlier, it's a very thin market for safeties this year, so obviously the clear cut best guy available is gonna get some juicy offers from needy teams. He's overpaid relative to other members of his position, not compared to other free agents this year.

Who are those players? Thomas has a slightly bigger contract. Weddle gets less.

Dont see anyone else who could be argued to be better than DMac.

Agree to disagree. You clearly think more highly of him than I do.

Re-read my post. I had an edit problem, and you posted before I got the money breakdown listed.

Compared to the other elite safeties, he sure was.

I know the argument you're trying to make about how the market dictated his price, and it's true. A crazy weak safety class in the draft and free agency helped that. I just don't think he's gonna live up to his deal.

Name a better fs than dmac who makes less?

Also other teams were willing to pay him more than what the pats did. What does that tell you?

So either you are correct and these other teams are wrong. Along with bellicheck being wrong too

Or you are wrong

Which is more likely ?

Name a better fs than dmac who makes less?

Also other teams were willing to pay him more than what the pats did. What does that tell you?

So either you are correct and these other teams are wrong. Along with bellicheck being wrong too

Or you are wrong

Which is more likely ?
With this argument, you can argue teams thought Mike Wallace was a Top 3 WR two years ago when he signed his massive contract. He clearly is not, and look what's happened to him ever since. The FA fluctuates dramatically every year based on who's out there and how many needy teams there are. In 2013 a lot of WRs needed a great WR, but since there weren't many available the top of the class Mike Wallace got to reap the rewards.

You have no idea what the original plan was, you're only assuming.

No more than you. Less, even, considering how much draft capital went into the RB position and the fairly easy tea leaves that were around at that time.

The simple truth is, as I said before, the ideal scenario is a vet and a youngster at every position. RB is no different than any other.

Admittedly my post was over dramatic, it's just frustration over reportedly swinging and missing on Bush and Harvin. Really wanted one or they other. Though I do think you're overselling the signings we've made so far. Sheard is probably gonna be awesome, but who's the other guy you speak of?

Chandler. He's a much, much better fit than Harvin at a position with a bigger need.

The James White era is coming

I can still remember 2010-2013 McCourty giving me headache after headache.

Your memory is off. Devin had a rough 2011 - which was really more a rough 6-8 games to start the year - but aside from that he was excellent. One of the best corners in the league in 2010 and one of the best safeties in the league since 2012.

Well I don't know how you can call me a homer considering all I've done on this thread is questions their moves...so you can have your spot back and wait for someone else to take it.
Which is why I said I can live with it. They had to overpay to keep him, it was their only option.
the wording in this is very confusing. :confused:

Really? Tim Wright was targeted 33 times and had 26 catches for 259 yards and 6 touchdowns after being acquired in the final week of the preseason. That is damn good production. He will make the team and be a bigger part of the offense. There is ZERO basis to suggest he wouldn't make the team. He was not used much in the postseason because his knowledge of the offense was limited and their offense was designed more for 3-WRs last year.

I'm not sure that we can take too much from Tim Wright just yet.

He's had horrible blocking issues his entire career, which is why Tampa Bay attempted to transfer him to WR before moving him to N.England.

One could make your argument about limited knowledge of the playbook etc, or one could make the argument that his blocking just sucks so badly that he's really just been used as a glorified wide receiver red zone target.

Will they try and carve out a special role for him as a red zone target? Will they attempt to beef him up a bit and improve his blocking as a TE? Will they try and move him to wide receiver as a WR4-5?

I think he's probably good enough to justify keeping him for the 2015 season on his cheap contract. If I had to guess, I'd put a 65/35 number on Wright making the 2015 squad based on red zone efficiency alone, but there seems to be lots of unanswered questions about Tim Wright's future in N.England.

better players were ahead of them. Why would they play over them?

BenJarvus Green-Ellis was never a better player than either Ridley or Vereen, but he was the starter over them.

Why? Because Belichick doesn't trust rookie RBs, no matter their talent.

Again, you're not proving me wrong here.

Really wanted bush. I know PT Cruiser could be good.

I know kraft already said no. But you think he would change his mind and give ray rice a chance?

Would u be okay with ray rice here?

rice is cooked..no

We're onto Pierre Thomas

With this argument, you can argue teams thought Mike Wallace was a Top 3 WR two years ago when he signed his massive contract. He clearly is not, and look what's happened to him ever since. The FA fluctuates dramatically every year based on who's out there and how many needy teams there are. In 2013 a lot of WRs needed a great WR, but since there weren't many available the top of the class Mike Wallace got to reap the rewards.
I am not sure what Mike Wallace has to do with Devin Mccourty regarding why you would argue Dmac is overpaid when he has performed at an near if not total elite level, but whatever.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis was never a better player than either Ridley or Vereen, but he was the starter over them.

Why? Because Belichick doesn't trust rookie RBs, no matter their talent.

Again, you're not proving me wrong here.
Not really, Lawfirm was coming off a very good season going into 2011. You can't compare now (where we have no third down back) compared to Vereen (who was injured btw...) coming into 2011 with Danny Woodhead already on the team playing very well and Jame White coming into the team with Vereen already playing very well. You guys jump to a lot of conclusions with BB. I don't think there's a blue print out what he will and won't do (won't pay a wide out x amount of dollars won't draft so and so that high in the drafT). It's all situational. Also you forgot Maroney who played a lot as a rookie.

The James White era is coming
Personally, I don't think that is a bad thing. Everything I saw from White during camp and in his limited opportunities made me think he could fill that 3DRB role well. What did Vereen do as rookie behind Woodhead? It took Vereen until the playoffs in his second season to show anything.

Skillset wise the are similar

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=72247&draftyear=2011&genpos=RB

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=113679&draftyear=2014&genpos=RB

I know kraft already said no. But you think he would change his mind and give ray rice a chance?

Would u be okay with ray rice here?

I would, personally--but every time I call Belichick he just laughs and hangs up on me.

I highly doubt that Ray Rice is going to see another chance after the major blowout that it became. The PR backlash would be too severe to overcome. To be honest, I'd rather give Greg Hardy a chance than Ray Rice.

He's just going back there to look for his missing Heisman trophy.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back