PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Building A Team With A QB Who Is Close To The Top 10

Like I said... the weapons are always bad according to some.

In 2020 when the Bucs offense was struggling because they refused to run the ball and led the league in penalties, I remember some Brady-stan saying it was his weapon's fault... lol!

The 2020 Bucs were probably the greatest collection of weapons in pro football history... but a lack of weapons was the problem. Laughable.

Well, that’s not according to me, but you can go ahead and throw out the “ some people say” line if you have nothing else. Nelson Agholor should be a slot receiver, not their deep threatJakobi Meyers is a great story but he’s an average possession receiver. I thought Bourne was their best receiver but they didn’t go to him nearly enough, and I’ll put that on the coaches, because it was obvious pretty early that he was their best WR. The real issue is that they don’t have a dominant #1or #2, if they did then Agholor could be in the slot, where he belongs, and Bourne and Meyers could back up the 1 and 2, then they would have a very good receiving corps. They don’t have to overhaul it, they just have to get two really good WR’s to bump the rest down to where they belong.

Well, that’s not according to me, but you can go ahead and throw out the “ some people say” line if you have nothing else. Nelson Agholor should be a slot receiver, not their deep threatJakobi Meyers is a great story but he’s an average possession receiver. I thought Bourne was their best receiver but they didn’t go to him nearly enough, and I’ll put that on the coaches, because it was obvious pretty early that he was their best WR. The real issue is that they don’t have a dominant #1or #2, if they did then Agholor could be in the slot, where he belongs, and Bourne and Meyers could back up the 1 and 2, then they would have a very good receiving corps. They don’t have to overhaul it, they just have to get two really good WR’s to bump the rest down to where they belong.
Agholor was a deep threat (18.7 YPR) WR for the Raiders in 2020, he put up the best numbers of his career. What happened... some debilitating car accident that robbed him of his speed and cut his production in half? Jonnu's numbers were also cut in half...

But both of these had nothing to do with scheme, McDaniels ability to utilize them, or Mac being a rookie QB whose deep ball hasn't emerged in his pro repertoire yet... their magic talent juice ran out... like power levels on a video game... sounds probable.

The Pats won rings with Edelman and Troy Brown, slot receivers, as their #1... Randy Moss, Julio Jones, Davante Adams and Deandre Hopkins have zero rings between them. Seems like these #1 WR’s need TEAM a lot more than the team needs them.

Mac needs to improve, the team needs to execute better.

The Pats won rings with Edelman and Troy Brown, slot receivers, as their #1... Randy Moss, Julio Jones, Davante Adams and Deandre Hopkins have zero rings between them. Seems like these #1 WR’s need TEAM a lot more than the team needs them.
This is why we need to draft wandale Robinson!

Sometimes even that isn’t enough. Pats defense was pretty good in 2018. Held the rams to 3 in the Super Bowl, but still gave up a really late drive to Mahomes to force OT.

Remember one of those TDs was an illegal rub play...it made BB slam his Surface tablet....

The best AFC QB since 2018 has been Mahomes. He has an 8-3 playoff record with 3 straight AFCCG appearances and a SB in that time. Which QBs did he face in the playoffs?

'18: Luck (W), Brady (L)
'19: Watson (W), Tannehill (W), Jimmy (W)
'20: Mayfield (W), Allen (W), Brady (L)
'21: Ben (W), Allen (W), Burrows (L)

Four (4) of the wins were against QBs outside the top 10, four (4) were top 10, and his three (3) losses were against elite QBs. The AFC just added Wilson and sent Watson to a good team. Even so, the playoffs still run through KC.

So, agreeing with OP, you need an elite QB to be a contender. The notion that in 2022 and beyond you can compete with a game manager is poppyc*ck.

Agholor was a deep threat (18.7 YPR) WR for the Raiders in 2020, he put up the best numbers of his career. What happened... some debilitating car accident that robbed him of his speed and cut his production in half? Jonnu's numbers were also cut in half...

But both of these had nothing to do with scheme, McDaniels ability to utilize them, or Mac being a rookie QB whose deep ball hasn't emerged in his pro repertoire yet... their magic talent juice ran out... like power levels on a video game... sounds probable.

Mac needs to improve, the team needs to execute better.
We won with Edelman but we also had the best TE in history as well. And you forgot to mention we had the best player at the most important position throwing the ball.

Just look around at the teams that are contenders:

Chiefs: Kelce, Hill
Rams: Kupp, Robinson, Odel
Bills: Diggs
Bengals: Chase
Bucs: Evans, Godwin, Gronk
49ers: Kettle, Samuel
Titans: Brown

Raiders and Chargers look vastly improved. With Brady we were the outlier, not the norm. The teams that are winning SBs (Rams, Bucs, Chiefs) and the contenders all have top weapons. We need to upgrade ours for Mac.

We won with Edelman but we also had the best TE in history as well. And you forgot to mention we had the best player at the most important position throwing the ball.

Just look around at the teams that are contenders:

Chiefs: Kelce, Hill
Rams: Kupp, Robinson, Odel
Bills: Diggs
Bengals: Chase
Bucs: Evans, Godwin, Gronk
49ers: Kettle, Samuel
Titans: Brown

Raiders and Chargers look vastly improved. With Brady we were the outlier, not the norm. The teams that are winning SBs (Rams, Bucs, Chiefs) and the contenders all have top weapons. We need to upgrade ours for Mac.
They won a ring when Gronk got hurt because BB hired Bennett. But yeah, we can believe in superheroes and fantasy if we want.

They didn’t win because their weapons were super weapons, but because their weapons were efficient, competent and their team was balanced.

They won a ring when Gronk got hurt because BB hired Bennett. But yeah, we can believe in superheroes and fantasy if we want.

They didn’t win because their weapons were super weapons, but because their weapons were efficient, competent and their team was balanced.
And they had the best player in the history of the game throwing the ball. They don’t have that anymore.

And they had the best player in the history of the game throwing the ball. They don’t have that anymore.
Okay boomer...

Believe it or not there were good QB's before, during and will be long after Tom retires... and for some reason he doesn't possess 22 rings despite his magic powers.

My big question is if MonTy is the Slot/PR guy to try to carry the JE11 role? Sure, he can be the backup for White in the receiving RB role, but I wonder if he's really here to play WR3/4 ?

My big question is if MonTy is the Slot/PR guy to try to carry the JE11 role? Sure, he can be the backup for White in the receiving RB role, but I wonder if he's really here to play WR3/4 ?
I hope not.

Ty Montgomery is the Brandon Bolden replacement, he made the same (1 shy) amount of tackles on special teams last season. If he makes the team he'll be a utility player.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back