PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Buffalo Bills hire Rex Ryan as head coach

Defensive line is going to wreck (rex?) havoc.

if Buffalo gets a QB they could make some noise in the division next year. They already have a damn good defense.

I think this hiring will lift Marone's reputation now. If Marone heard the owner compliment Rex a lot during the season or compare his output to Rex's, he made a good call to leave. Why be there if the owner wants someone else but only keeping you because he owes you 4 million whether or not you coach next year? You'll just be let go a year later, but it will be a stressful year, plus the time to recover from that stress, too.

I mean, Buffalo agreed to the clause to set him free if the company is sold. This is how many small companies get employees: they have clauses that if a company is sold or IPO's, all future employee stock vests immediately, rather than after four years. And Marone got the Bills to their best record in a long while. Blame the Bills for being so bad in the past that they had to resort to this to get Marone to as a head coach.

The other issue is the new owner might have deep pockets and change his mind, letting you go anyway end of January when there are no more coaching or coordinator jobs. Or, the owner wanted to make an offer to Rex to join Buffalo after Woody's announcement and Marone refused. Marone made the right choice.

he has a great defense to work with they should be a lot more fun the play next year

Sanchez to Philly in the off season? lol

If Eagles pass on signing him, I could see Rex giving him a "We have a real OC now, let's go finish what we started" speech.
Please let this happen. I want butt fumble 2.0.

I wanted him out of the AFCE. He's getting a better roster. And let's not forget Revis. Damn!

One thing I worry about is Revis.

Bills have the $$. Rex may want to get him. That helps him in 2 ways: Better D, and sticking it to the Patriots.

Bob, I think you and DI both are taking Rex's perceived defensive skills too far. Even if you are correct in your assessment of them, there is a lot more to being a HC than just defensive acumen. Its about leadership, accountability staff building, roster building, creating a system, and other management skills that Rex never showed in his 6 years with the Jets.

I'd never say he's a bad coach, or that he doesn't have several positive traits you;d love to have in a HC. Its just that he's missing several aspect of the job that I would deem critical. Even worse, I don't see the humility to recognize where he failed in NJ or any commitment to improve on them the 2nd time around

IMHO he belongs one of 3 places, I think he'd be excellent on TV. Of course he'd be a fine DC. Or if he was so inclined, I'd give him another shot if I felt he had recognized his flaws and was willing to confront them and learn from his past mistakes. He COULD be a fine HC, but I don't believe he recognizes he has any issues. If I'm wrong it will show in Buffalo, since they have good roster minus a QB
I hope you are right and he busts out. I am not privy enough on the particulars of his job as a HC to comment on the likelihood however. All I know is his Jests team gave this years Pats team all they could handle .... with not nearly as much talent as this Bill's team he is inheriting. Should he be able to find even a decent QB, I suspect they'll be a very tough out for us next year.

I hope you are right and he busts out. I am not privy enough on the particulars of his job as a HC to comment on the likelihood however. All I know is his Jests team gave this years Pats team all they could handle .... with not nearly as much talent as this Bill's team he is inheriting. Should he be able to find even a decent QB, I suspect they'll be a very tough out for us next year.
Look at it this way.
The guy who led the Jets from contender to pretender, the guy who took a good defense and turned it into a bad one (21st in points allowed and 29th in takeaways over the last FOUR years); the guy who turned his team into a laughingstock of false bravado; the guy who has lost 7 of the last 8 to NE, , the guy who runs a defensive scheme that has proven to be one you don't win football games withhas now just taken over the most up and coming contender we have in our division, so he can now wreck that one, like he wrecked the last one.

Look at it this way.
The guy who led the Jets from contender to pretender, the guy who took a good defense and turned it into a bad one (21st in points allowed and 29th in takeaways over the last FOUR years); the guy who turned his team into a laughingstock of false bravado; the guy who has lost 7 of the last 8 to NE, , the guy who runs a defensive scheme that has proven to be one you don't win football games withhas now just taken over the most up and coming contender we have in our division, so he can now wreck that one, like he wrecked the last one.
It will be interesting to see if Rex as learned anything. A smart HC would do what he has to to keep Swartz there and give some continuity to that sold D. He should be willing to entrust the D to another so he can deal with all the other issues a HC has. But I bet he can't. That's why Pettine left. Rex couldn't delegate to a competent underling.

So, I would be impressed if kept Swartz, Also if he tabbed Roman as his OC. He needs Manuel to reach his maximum potential if he's going to move the Bills past mediocrity. Roman, or someone experienced in dealing with a QB with his skill set needs to be brought in,. When you have no first round pick and Mark Sanchez is the cream of the FA crop, you are in trouble.

Bob, like I've said several times, Rex will have to prove to me he is more than a great press conference and a good defensive mind. He has to show he can LEAD an entire football operation. He proved he couldn't in NJ. He took a good roster and turned it into muck. That's on him despite what his apologists want to say.

The mediots will love this decision by the Bills, It's an easy story line and he gives great press conferences. I love this decision, because, unless undergoes a radical chance in his character, the Bills will be vastly more entertaining and more likely to NEVER reach their potential,

I don't like Rex but i think this is a good hire for the Bills. They have a solid defensive group that Rex can coach up. If he gets an experienced OC, and finds a decent QB, he can win some games there.

Not a fan of Rex as a HC and think this dooms the bills to waste another year with EJ at QB.
That said, his front 7 attacks wreak havoc on our QB so I see this as one more reason to draft TWO OL studs in our 1st 4 rounds.

It will be interesting to see if Rex as learned anything. A smart HC would do what he has to to keep Swartz there and give some continuity to that sold D. He should be willing to entrust the D to another so he can deal with all the other issues a HC has. But I bet he can't. That's why Pettine left. Rex couldn't delegate to a competent underling.
Schwartz has coached more bad defenses than good ones.
14 years as HC or DC 6 above average in points allowed, 8 below average.
3 in the top 8, 6 in the bottom 8.
Look anyone who is going to be hired by an NFL team as a DC knows how to coach defense and will do well with good players. What you have to look at is long range. Both Schwartz and Rex, from a long range view, are average at best in results.

So, I would be impressed if kept Swartz, Also if he tabbed Roman as his OC.
I'm not that impressed with Roman. The 49er offense went backward under him, although its hard to say how much is him and how much is Harbaugh, good or bad.

He needs Manuel to reach his maximum potential if he's going to move the Bills past mediocrity. Roman, or someone experienced in dealing with a QB with his skill set needs to be brought in,. When you have no first round pick and Mark Sanchez is the cream of the FA crop, you are in trouble.
Manuel is terrible. Good offensive coaches with bad QBs have bad offenses.

Bob, like I've said several times, Rex will have to prove to me he is more than a great press conference and a good defensive mind. He has to show he can LEAD an entire football operation. He proved he couldn't in NJ. He took a good roster and turned it into muck. That's on him despite what his apologists want to say.
The ironic thing is that what people like about Ryan is why he fails.
As you said he is a good press conference, but that hollow tough guy stuff doesn't win football games.
His philosophy toward football is one that shows up in a few plays that make people think he is smart, but is one that has been proven to not win football games.
The Ryan philosophy does not win. Its a fact.

The mediots will love this decision by the Bills, It's an easy story line and he gives great press conferences. I love this decision, because, unless undergoes a radical chance in his character, the Bills will be vastly more entertaining and more likely to NEVER reach their potential,
I expect him to do worse here than he did in NJ. First, his defense has been figured out, as evidenced by the results. He will get credit for a defense that has good players playing good under him, but will lose games because his style of defense will get them better yardage rankings, but fail in the clutch, and not win games. He will have a losing record in Buffalo, and at best make the playoffs one time for every 2 he does not.

I just can't seem to care what's happening with Rex Ryan and the Bills right now.

I think Mark Sanchez is a free agent, maybe they'll get the band back together so to speak.
Not a joke. There are already rumors in NYC to that effect.

Poor Bills, we may have to put up a Bills sucks thread with his antics. I hate that guy so much. But it'll be a pleasure to once again prove Belichick owns him and perhaps he'll finally kiss his rings. lol

Looks like Rex and Roman will be doing the Buffalo two step... Maybe Roman can turn Manuel into another Kapernick.

Adam Shefter tweets..
Bills expected to hire former 49ers OC Greg Roman as new OC to go along with Rex Ryan, per sources. The two worked together in Baltimore.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back