PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Browns' Barkevious Mingo traded to Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confident Mingo will contribute. If anyone knows LBs, it's belichick.

Yeah, that guy Sheard really took off...oh, never mind.

Ya. Pretty typical that he slates Mingo for his pass rushing numbers but wants to ignore Sheard had identical numbers the two years they were together, not to mention Mingo was dropping in coverage in '14 and '15. I know Sheard's first 2 years he had solid numbers but the thing is the drop he had clearly it had nothing to do with his ability and had all to do with the coaching. Now i'm not saying Mingo is gonna turn into anything but it's not foolish to think coaching may have been a big reason.

Honestly can anyone name a Browns front 7 defensive player that excelled in Cleveland every year for the last 3-4 years? I'll give you a hint, there hasn't been any front 7 player that has been good consistently the last 3 years there.

Last edited:
Reports from Cleveland is that's all he was doing this year in preseason.
So he could be seen as a Larry Izzo type of ST linebacker.

Ebner role?

Given that we gave up a 5th rounder for one year of him, I sure hope he brings more to the table than that, but I think that's a good place to start as his floor if he just flat-out can't get on the field on defense.

Dustin Fox is Tim Fox's nephew. He played corner at OSU and played some for Minny and Buffalo.

Mingo was going to be cut. The dude can't play. He can't cover, can't set the edge and can't tackle. This summer they were trying him at inside LB and he couldn't get on the field until the fourth quarter scrubs went in. He also can't keep ANY weight on. The Browns have tried to fatten him up before and he always ends up the season 215.

Don't care about undefeated, I care about them getting out of the first four games even, after that I will take this team over anyone in the AFC, and if they get to the Bowl then Brady will seal the deal.

You can call that homerism all you want but last I knew that's how Vegas is seeing it as well.

F.cking homah's

The dude can't play. (he could at LSU)

He can't cover... (that can be taught)

can't set the edge... (won't be asked to)

...and can't tackle. (also can be taught)

Heck, if he's a good enough student, BB might teach him a position we've been sorely lacking for ten years...

56530675.jpg

...dropkicker. ;)

Just two things to add to this fountain of love for Mingo

1. Not surprisingly it seems he did play well on STs.
2. Not surprisingly this is not a trade of NEED. BB liked him from the start, always kept his loving eye on him and finally he could bring him in because he WANTED it. Thats why BB enjoys it so much and he's not going away soon (if he can help it).
Si I don't think its about some player's health or inadequacy or next year big FAs (w Mingo himself being a 2017 FA). He brings something new to the table and Bill will be able to have some more fun with new D looks and specific situations.

Last edited:
The Patriots are a smart organization...the Browns, despite tons of top ten picks the past 2 decades, suck as an organization. I'm willing to let BB take a look at the SIXTH PICK in the 1st round of the 2013 draft. Personally, I LIKE LSU players as pros. No skin off our backs if he's truly a bust...but a 6'4" LB with 4.52 speed? Seems Like BB has used THESE types before on winning teams.

LOLB - Ninkovich, Long
DT - Brown, Kuhn
NT - Branch, Valentine
RDE - Sheard, Flowers
ROLB - McClellin, Mingo
SILB - Hightower, Freeney
WILB - Collins, Grugier-Hill
LCB - Butler, Coleman
RCB - Ryan, C Jones
FS - McCourty, Harmon
SS - Chung, Harmon

Serious depth right there..

How does his skillset compare to Colvins?
Also does anyone know if he is tight with Sheard would be awesome to have him and Sheard both re up reasonably together.
Also how much will we be on pins and needles next free Agency?
Collins,Hightower,Mingo,Sheard
Its going to suck.

LOLB - Ninkovich, Long
DT - Brown, Kuhn
NT - Branch, Valentine
RDE - Sheard, Flowers
ROLB - McClellin, Mingo
LCB - Butler, Coleman
RCB - Ryan, C Jones
FS - McCourty, Harmon
SS - Chung, Harmon

No way Johnson isnt making this team.

Seems like BB has had a thing for this kid for a little while. I'll trust his judgment on this one.

LOLB - Ninkovich, Long
DT - Brown, Kuhn
NT - Branch, Valentine
RDE - Sheard, Flowers
ROLB - McClellin, Mingo
LCB - Butler, Coleman
RCB - Ryan, C Jones
FS - McCourty, Harmon
SS - Chung, Harmon

Missing a few players.

Been playing video games all night, only just seen this.

Interesting move, clearly talented but nothing but a bust so far. Quite a few reasons for that - Cleveland being Cleveland top of the list, but also those in the know say he's never shown he wants it enough. Being in the NFL should be motivation for anyone, but it appears the kid is lazy with a poor attitude. Obviously he's also been injured and the changes he's seen have been crazy. Not a great situation for anyone to flourish.

Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore