PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Britt released

Status
Not open for further replies.
That leaves 240 (give or take) for Michel, Burkhead, Hill, Hollister, Allen, etc..

And Dorsett and Patterson too. So....

Thats 180 catches if you assume a 75% catch rate.

CP avg about 40
PD is about 30

That leaves 110 to the rest which is 22 each. I bet even Allen can catch 22. He caught 10 last year and he was a NF there.

There’s got to be a move coming. This corps is highly suspect even with Britt. Especially during the first four weeks.
Can't just magically make a move just because you think we need it. Hopefully something comes up that Bill feels is worth it. But I definitely think Bill is ready to go with what we have and not close to as concerned as you or others panicking over it are.

Ridiculous statement - Think back to 2001 where I bet you couldn't name the #3 WR for the Pats behind Brown and Patten, or the fact that all the Pats TE's didn't have 20 receptions between them that year. Or the 2006 season that was about a half dozen ifs from another superbowl with Reche Caldwell as their #1, a guy who was out of the league 2 years later

Edelman, Hogan, CP and Dorsett is about an average Patriot WR group on paper and could be better than that by the end of the season.

Another thing to consider is that in recent years the RB position has become so much more of a factor in the passing game.

Another thing to consider is that Gronk, while not a true WR, has just as much of an impact on pass defenses as ANY elite WR.

FINALLY, another thing to consider is that the Pats passing offense has never been one that needs the "great" individual WR to succeed. Winning the "individual battles" has never been what this pass offense has been about. This is a precision operation where its more important to be where you are supposed to be, than how often you can out muscle the other guy on a jump ball. "good" and "dependable" are 2 adjectives that would best describe Patriot WR's over the years. The fact is you don't need to pay $16MM/yr to get guys like that.

I believe its not by chance that the Pats traded Cooks. Clearly he was going to be a $16MM/yr guy (whether you think it was justified or not), and the Pats (under BB) are never going to pay that percentage of the cap on the WR position.

I think I have higher expectations from CPatterson than most here. While I don't expect him to be another Brandon Cooks, I think he can be a legitimate field stretcher, and effective short area receiver, as he showed last week

As forBryant, I don't see that much of a difference between him and Decker, at least not enough to bring him in unless its a "one or another" deal. Their skills sets are too similar at this stage of their respective careers

If Coraderralle Patterson can consistently run routes Five yards pass the LOS then things might not be as bad as it seems.

CP avg about 40
PD is about 30

That leaves 110 to the rest which is 22 each. I bet even Allen can catch 22. He caught 10 last year and he was a NF there.

I didn't mention Patterson or Dorsett because I'm not assuming anything with them..

The point I was trying to make is that the 240 targets among the remaining 6-10 players means that we don't need to rely a whole helluva lot on them. You're talking about 24-40 targets each.

I didn't mention Patterson or Dorsett because I'm not assuming anything with them..

The point I was trying to make is that the 240 targets among the remaining 6-10 players means that we don't need to rely a whole helluva lot on them. You're talking about 24-40 targets each.
Exactly. The numbers are the numbers. I think CP is going to surprise peeps.

Look at it this way JE was lost for the 2017 whole season. This year it's 4 games. Cooks went to sleep for ~4 games, JE is more reliable with a shi-ton more YAC. DA is gone and Hogan replaces him, both clutch guys who get dinged a bit. Now they need someone to replace Hogan with the 8 games lost ~400 yards 40 catches. ..and Hogan was popped hard vs the Chargers, anyone would have missed time with that.

Who rises up? Patterson is a nice gimmick guy, but that must be metered in. McCarron had a decent catch last week and was PR. Decker has looked uncomfortable. Dorsett has looked good in practice.

I think Dorsett is first man up and McCarron is plan B unless Decker shows marked improvement.
What 4 games did Cooks go to sleep?

CP avg about 40
PD is about 30

Pretty optimistic....

If Coraderralle Patterson can consistently run routes Five yards pass the LOS then things might not be as bad as it seems.
We have alot of Drafts pick offer a 2nd or a 3rd for a good young talent. Wouldn't want BB wasting such picks and over draft a Safety in the Second who has a 7th Round Grade. He has done it twice before. :confused:

I respect the hustle boss.

Pretty optimistic....

Well its not going to go down like that but each of the parts can certainly pull that off easily. What only matters is the sum.

Well its not going to go down like that but each of the parts can certainly pull that off easily. What only matters is the sum.
Agree but the individual parts need to execute in order for the sum to be achieved.

This group does not have the track record in this offense to instill that kind of confidence.

Dontrelle Inman is still available.

Well some have with other team...lets see how it plays out. The constant worrying here is too pessimistic.
The pessimism is warranted and it depends on who you are talking about.

Decker, Patterson, Dorsett are unknowns. All have proven they have done something at the NFL level but in this offense with his QB it wouldn't shock me if they were put on skid row or caught 50 balls.

As long as he is healthy, I expect Hogs to have a very good year. 60/800 sounds right.

I also expect Holliston to do well. 35-50 catches maybe? He would essentially be the AH role. H-back guy

Cherrios and McCarron are unknowns

JE will be JE come Halloween.

The pessimism is warranted and it depends on who you are talking about.
There is a difference between pessimism and concern or even better skepticism. Everyone here is pretty much anywhere between curious/concerned to skeptical. Pessimism is just seeing the absolute worst in something. Quite frankly its tiresome.

Maybe I missed something in the offseason but no one added Berrios to the WR roster??

Yikes, you spent how many minutes typing all of that up because I said this could “quite possibly” be one of the weakest receiving corps in Patriots history.

Newflash: it “quite possibly” could be.

We’re not even past Week 3 of preseason. Hopefully it doesn’t, but this group could get a lot uglier as the season goes on if improvements aren’t made (trade) or attempted (Bryant, and gulp, LaFell).
No, nothing so personal. I was going to write most of what was in that post anyway, but your post gave me a great starting point. You can think of it as a segue rather than a rebuke if it makes you feel better. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes