PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brissett

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the flip side, if you have a system that works, and you can get a clone to keep it going. . . .
For sure, keep a good thing going if you can. I'm just saying the Belichick way is a balance of fitting players within his systems and molding the system to the talents of the players. He looks for free agents to compliment the core group of players on both sides of the ball, but I doubt he is afraid to jettison a system if the best players on the team are better served by another x's and o'x philosophy.

I'm being a little bit facetious, but I can't tell you how many times I yelled "You're an idiot!" at the TV today referring to Jacoby! I thought his fumbled play was a stupid play and the sack that he took when he was out of the pocket around the Pats 5ish yard line where he had about 10 seconds to just throw the ball away was far from a heads up play.
I haven't seen anything special about Brisset, so I have no emotion about whether he stays or leaves

I find it curious that anyone would care either way regarding Brisset. If anyone would like to share their reasons, I'd love to read them.

I can totally understand if people want Garapollo to stay though

I know he's only a rookie but he's not fit for this quick strike offense.
I don't think he is right
This is going with the assumption that the Patriots will be playing a quick strike offense when Brady retires. They may evolve into a run first team with a mobile quarterback and fast running back complemented by Gronk for some play action passes.

We shouldn't limit ourselves post-Brady by trying to replace him with a Brady-clone. There is only one Brady and he is taking the field this next week.
The Patriots offense is going to remain the Ehrhart Perkins offense hybrid thing that they do for a long time.

I think he generally made the right read, but was often just a split second late. That should improve with more practice. How many times did he sail the ball just a little high, or with just too much zip on it? He easily could have had another 50 yards and a couple TDs. Imagine if the Edelman pass didn't get called back? Could have been a very solid game. He didn't throw an interception through 2.5 games. The fumbles are a bit worrisome, but I imagine that he'll improve with time.

In short, nothing that can't be fixed. I like his game, and I hope we can see him again next year in the preseason (hoping Brady stays healthy all year).

"holding onto the ball for too long," "showing limited awareness in the pocket," and "freezing while when under pressure" are all very common for rookie QBs coming into the NFL. That will change with experience.

I'm more concerned with Brissett's lack of touch on his throws. He oftens throws characteristically with too much velocity, (though his inaccuracy today could've a lot to do with his thumb injury).

My hope is that if he stays with this team long-term, he can learn to find that quick-trigger release and make clean, pin-point throws.

On the flip side, if you have a system that works, and you can get a clone to keep it going. . . .
Is this an inference that Jimmy G is a clone of Brady? If so, I don't see it all.
Jimmy G has looked good and sometimes great, but he is not Brady.

I haven't seen anything special about Brisset, so I have no emotion about whether he stays or leaves

I find it curious that anyone would care either way regarding Brisset. If anyone would like to share their reasons, I'd love to read them.

I feel the exact opposite. I don't get why people want Jimmy G to stay instead of keeping Brady as long as he is Brady.
I only want the Pats to keep Jacoby B because he has looked okay for a rookie and fits better with the timeline of Brady's contract ending.
I mean Jimmy G looked good and sometimes great, but he played 5 and half quarters and beat a 1-3 Arizona team on a missed FG and got a big lead against the Dolphins at home.
I really want Jimmy to be the starter after Brady, I just don't see him waiting around as a backup until 2019.
I hope I am wrong.

Hey, at the very least Brissett will play injured for you.

He has shown nothing special aside from a fair degree of poise in the Houston game. The things that concern me so far about Brissett are his slow delivery, mediocre accuracy and poor ability to see the field (which is a LOT). Maybe they can be improved on with time, I don't know. He doesn't flash a great deal of natural ability. I think the coaches like him because his head seems to be in the right place and he has a strong arm. He's just too raw to reasonably be asked to step in and do much at this stage.

Neither was Brady as a rookie. 1 of 3, 6 yards his rookie season.

Not suggesting Jacoby is going to be the GOAT, but if you look at only their two rookie seasons, no way you'd pick Brady to become anything.

Chill.
brady was in for mop up duty, not start games.

The guy is smart he is not the reason the Patriots lost today.
Clueless post. Yes, Brissett is the primary reason for today's loss and how smart he is had absolutely nothing to do with it. He's an inexperienced rookie trying to do the toughest job in sports with a bad throwing hand. End of story.

Neither was Brady as a rookie. 1 of 3, 6 yards his rookie season.

Not suggesting Jacoby is going to be the GOAT, but if you look at only their two rookie seasons, no way you'd pick Brady to become anything.

Chill.
But why would anyone care if he works out or not when we have Brady and Garappolo?

If he works out, good. If he he doesn't, it's no different than the other 4 or 5 quarterbacks we've drafted that came and went. It's not like we have any emotion invested in Brisset

Hey, at the very least Brissett will play injured for you.

That's a sign of bravery. But it has nothing to do with whether or not he's a good QB.

they didnt draft him in order to immediately trade him

No, but I don't think they drafted him with the intention of his being the QB of the future, either.

They needed a QB for Weeks 1 to 4, and that's what he was. I don't know how they really feel about him; maybe they do see him as "the guy," maybe they don't. All I'm saying is I could see a thought process that leads the Pats to keep Garoppolo and trade him.

No one has mentioned that he played with a sprained thumb on his throwing (right) hand. That had to affect his accuracy/touch. Note on the fumble he was carrying the ball in his left hand, probably to protect his primary (injured) hand.

He's better than any backup QB in the TB era not named Jimmy, Drew and Matt.

Considering this was his second career start he did ok.
you forgot Brian.

He might be better than any of them eventually, so far he's not better than any of those four.

I know he's only a rookie but he's not fit for this quick strike offense.

13-23, 168 yards 0 TDs
12-24, 86 yards 0 TDs

That's Tom Brady's first 2 starts. And that's after a training camp in which people felt he had outplayed Bledsoe.

No one should be expecting Brissett to be the next Brady. But let's not pretend we saw Brady being a fit for our quick strike offense after two games, let alone being the GOAT.

Clueless post. Yes, Brissett is the primary reason for today's loss and how smart he is had absolutely nothing to do with it. He's an inexperienced rookie trying to do the toughest job in sports with a bad throwing hand. End of story.
not at all true. Brissett did not miss all those tackles that left Patriots defensive players lying on the ground wondering "where'd he go?" The defense laid a major turd after spending ten days looking back at how they shut out the Houston lettermen. That had nothing to do with Brissett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore