PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brissett

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a sign of bravery. But it has nothing to do with whether or not he's a good QB.
Fair, but if willingness to play hurt is a factor in ranking Patriot QB's, he has at least one beat.

not at all true. Brissett did not miss all those tackles that left Patriots defensive players lying on the ground wondering "where'd he go?" The defense laid a major turd after spending ten days looking back at how they shut out the Houston lettermen. That had nothing to do with Brissett.
The offense scored 0 points. The defense allowed 16 points. The offense held the ball for just 23 minutes, had only 13 first downs and was 1 for 12 on third down. This was the first time the Patriots were shut out at home in 23 years. And you want to blame the defense?

The offense scored 0 points. The defense allowed 16 points. The offense held the ball for just 23 minutes, had only 13 first downs and was 1 for 12 on third down. This was the first time the Patriots were shut out at home in 23 years. And you want to blame the defense?

Posters here just dont get it. Its a little frustrating, really comical and somewhat embarrassing.

Fair, but if willingness to play hurt is a factor in ranking Patriot QB's, he has at least one beat.

You're assuming that quarterbacks are actually allowed to decide whether they are active.

Our injured 3rd string rookie QB couldn't win, and was shut out. The offense needed to score 17. On to Cleveland.

I wonder if he will go on IR now with Brady back

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

13-23, 168 yards 0 TDs
12-24, 86 yards 0 TDs

That's Tom Brady's first 2 starts. And that's after a training camp in which people felt he had outplayed Bledsoe.

No one should be expecting Brissett to be the next Brady. But let's not pretend we saw Brady being a fit for our quick strike offense after two games, let alone being the GOAT.
I thought he looked a lot better than Brisset after those 2 games. And by the time Bledsoe was ready to come back. I was a Brady guy 100%. He had something that looked incredible and I knew Blesoe was a darn good NFL quarterback

not at all true. Brissett did not miss all those tackles that left Patriots defensive players lying on the ground wondering "where'd he go?" The defense laid a major turd after spending ten days looking back at how they shut out the Houston lettermen. That had nothing to do with Brissett.
I'll take a defense that gives up 17 points a week all day any day. As would every other NFL team. So if you think that's a bad game, you don't understand football

Is this an inference that Jimmy G is a clone of Brady? If so, I don't see it all.
Jimmy G has looked good and sometimes great, but he is not Brady.

His natural style of play is a lot closer to Brady's. Of course, I don't expect Jimmy to be an exact replica of Tom...but there are noticeable similarities.

brady was in for mop up duty, not start games.

That just further reinforces the point. Those 2000 Patriots were not world beaters. Brady couldn't even get meaningful snaps on a 5-11 team as a rookie. Brady would finish below punter Lee Johnson in yards for the season. BB has mentioned before that keeping Brady as the 4th QB that year was a "wasted roster spot."

So again, rookie contributions don't mean anything.

But FWIW, Jacoby is playing meaningful snaps for a Super Bowl contender, and has won a game against a play-off team from last year. Yesterday's game was dreadful, but it's not like he threw 6 picks like Fitzpatrick and gave the team zero chance to win. The team had chances to win.

His biggest mistake was trying to make something out of nothing at the end of the half when we could have put up some points. Ghost missed that field goal. Bolden dropped that potential TD. Brissett overthrew a wide open Amendola from mid-field on third and long which could have led to points as well. But with better execution on a handful of plays, that easily could have been a win, despite how atrocious the team played all around.

So I think it's insane for people to dismiss his entire career already after one loss, a loss where he actually threw for more yards and more yards per attempt and completed a higher % of passes than in the win against the Texans. He was better in the Texans game in terms of composure and decision making, and took better care of the ball. But it's not like this was a total waste of a game. He played decent, he made some rookie mistakes, and I wouldn't bet he's a bust or a HOFer based on anything he's done so far.

I'm being a little bit facetious, but I can't tell you how many times I yelled "You're an idiot!" at the TV today referring to Jacoby! I thought his fumbled play was a stupid play and the sack that he took when he was out of the pocket around the Pats 5ish yard line where he had about 10 seconds to just throw the ball away was far from a heads up play.

To be fair I was screaming the very similar things to my TV throughout the Arizona and Miami games when JG was at helm. But obviously for different reasons (with JG it was just that he was hanging on to the ball way to long).

I think letting go and throwing the ball away to to prevent a desaster is often the hardest thing to do for QBs. It's something that comes with experience and time for most. Others, like Andrew Luck, will apparently never learn that trying to be the hero on every snap is not a winning formula over a whole season.

I really dont understand why people here want to assign blame to specific parts of the team when everyone just screwed up.

But if you wanna play that game then how about the coaching staff not coming up with a gameplan that played to Brissetts strengths ? How about the OL/skill players consistently producing pre-snap penalties that lengthened the down distance and immediately led to punts. How about our special teams not giving him any favorable field position ? Turnovers ?

Do you see my theme ? There were issues in all phases that just compounded and let to the disaster that we saw yesterday. I don't see any reason to single out anyone because as much as last weeks impressive win was a full team effort, this week's loss is also a full team effort.

That's a sign of bravery. But it has nothing to do with whether or not he's a good QB.

Has a lot to do with it. didn't want to give you a red x though.

you forgot Brian.

He might be better than any of them eventually, so far he's not better than any of those four.
Hoyer? Hmm. Not much if any kind of an upgrade over Brisket

I really dont understand why people here want to assign blame to specific parts of the team when everyone just screwed up.

But if you wanna play that game then how about the coaching staff not coming up with a gameplan that played to Brissetts strengths ? How about the OL/skill players consistently producing pre-snap penalties that lengthened the down distance and immediately led to punts. How about our special teams not giving him any favorable field position ? Turnovers ?

Do you see my theme ? There were issues in all phases that just compounded and let to the disaster that we saw yesterday. I don't see any reason to single out anyone because as much as last weeks impressive win was a full team effort, this week's loss is also a full team effort.
When you score 0 points, it kind of indicates the offense is to blame. And if you want to place blame on the game plan, Brissett's bad thumb or his inexperience putting him in an impossible situation, that would seem fair game as well. But things you can't blame are special teams for not giving him short fields like it did vs. Houston or the defense for not giving him turnovers (as vs. Houston). The quarterback is supposed to execute. I believe it's safe to assume Brady or a healthy Garoppolo would've led the offense to at least 17 points under the same conditions as yesterday.

That just further reinforces the point. Those 2000 Patriots were not world beaters. Brady couldn't even get meaningful snaps on a 5-11 team as a rookie. Brady would finish below punter Lee Johnson in yards for the season. BB has mentioned before that keeping Brady as the 4th QB that year was a "wasted roster spot."

So again, rookie contributions don't mean anything.

But FWIW, Jacoby is playing meaningful snaps for a Super Bowl contender, and has won a game against a play-off team from last year. Yesterday's game was dreadful, but it's not like he threw 6 picks like Fitzpatrick and gave the team zero chance to win. The team had chances to win.

His biggest mistake was trying to make something out of nothing at the end of the half when we could have put up some points. Ghost missed that field goal. Bolden dropped that potential TD. Brissett overthrew a wide open Amendola from mid-field on third and long which could have led to points as well. But with better execution on a handful of plays, that easily could have been a win, despite how atrocious the team played all around.

So I think it's insane for people to dismiss his entire career already after one loss, a loss where he actually threw for more yards and more yards per attempt and completed a higher % of passes than in the win against the Texans. He was better in the Texans game in terms of composure and decision making, and took better care of the ball. But it's not like this was a total waste of a game. He played decent, he made some rookie mistakes, and I wouldn't bet he's a bust or a HOFer based on anything he's done so far.
I just don't think many of us care either way about Brisset.

We have no emotion invested in the guy while we do feel invested in Brady and Garropolo. I haven't written him off nor am I excited about Brisst.

It felt the same way about Zolak, Cassel and Hoyer.

I just don't think many of us care either way about Brisset.

We have no emotion invested in the guy while we do feel invested in Brady and Garropolo. I haven't written him off nor am I excited about Brisst.

It felt the same way about Zolak, Cassel and Hoyer.

How could you not care about the starting QB for the past two weeks?

I cared greatly about Cassell once he started games, and I admit not caring about Brissett before, but he won us a game without Brady.

There's a chance he is called upon again (I hope not), but Jimmy's injury takes 4 to 6 weeks to fully heal. So hopefully Brady plays every snap of every game the rest of the way, but I wouldn't be surprised if Brissett is QB2 for a few more weeks.

How could you not care about the starting QB for the past two weeks?

I cared greatly about Cassell once he started games, and I admit not caring about Brissett before, but he won us a game without Brady.

There's a chance he is called upon again (I hope not), but Jimmy's injury takes 4 to 6 weeks to fully heal. So hopefully Brady plays every snap of every game the rest of the way, but I wouldn't be surprised if Brissett is QB2 for a few more weeks.
Man, I hope you're wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore