PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer “The Destroyer” Returns

does anybody think bb made hoyer any promises!

Player after player (Jim McMahon aside) has constantly said that BB told them he had a role for them and was always open and up front on what he was expecting from them.

Player after player (Jim McMahon aside) has constantly said that BB told them he had a role for them and was always open and up front on what he was expecting from them.
What did Jim McMahon say?

Or maybe hoyer is just a camp body or Mac has impressed already that they are bringing in a veteran pocket passer and trading cam.
They should be able to get a lot for Cam. He's a former league MVP and is very popular with the players.

I know I've said this before, but every time I think of Hoyer now, I go back to that KC game where he made those huge mental mistakes.
I didn't expect much from Hoyer, but if he was fooled that badly then maybe the coaches share some of the blame.

Pats always have 4 QB’s in camp, last year it was Brian Lewenke or whatever his name was. There’s no better QB available for this particular team and offense. I don’t get all the handwringing...
Forgive them for they know not what they do.

The Pats have a lot of institutional knowledge about how to develop a contending team. Bringing in a qb who knows the offense better than anyone else on the roster and can help Mac is a great move.

If Hoyer makes the 53 then there is a problem. I like him as a mentor and to help run practices, but I don't want to see him taking snaps during a game for the Patriots.

Cam was bad last year coming back from COVID due to inaccuracy, Hoyer started a game last year and didn't have a strong enough arm to get the ball where it needed to go. I have hope that Cam will be better next season after recovering form COVID, I have no hope that Hoyer's arm strength will suddenly allow him to be a playable QB.
I have no hope or faith in Cam any more than I do Hoyer. I hope neither one of them starts a game for the Pats this year.

Dozens of roster spots are taken up by guys who won't play.
Something tells me that this coaching staff can handle NFL roster management numbers. I don't know, just a hunch.
We do a better job of that here. ;)

Stidham is an accurate passer, his problem is happy feet. He dances like a cat on a live wire when pressure is on. Last year in a blowout and to start the Chiefs game he looked comfortable and made the throws, then he felt the slightest bit of pressure and threw to the wrong team.

One day he may wake up and lose his yips but the team won’t wait for him. He only has another year deal left on his rookie deal after this one and hasn’t earned an extension, so his revival may come elsewhere.
The term "happy feet" was a negative that was commonly used in the old days, but then Manning came along with feet so happy that the mediots stopped using the term. Glad to see that you're bringing it back. I just wish it wasn't a Pats QB doing it.

I would’ve expected a random, hot Hollywood actress to call me and ask me on a date out of the blue before I expected Hoyer to return as a player..... surprised by this signing.
Visit the dentist, get a checkup, refine and shape up your wardrobe, and familiarize yourself with contemporary chick dope and current affairs, be familiar with the good restaurants.

Be ready.

When opportunity knocks, it ain't gonna wait for you at the door.

Pats were always bringing another QB this offseason. In another Covid preseason 4 is the minimum.
Last year Pats had 4 QBs - 3 on 53 and 1 on PS. All teams will cary at least 4 QBs again this year on their combined 53+PS rosters - with COVID protocol likely to remain. In addition: Pats carried 4 QBs on 53 when they drafted Tom.

That wont be necessary now since by current rules they can place anyone on PS and they can protect up to 4 players from being signed by other teams (so in theory they could even put Cam on PS). Here are the PS rules:

btw - These extraordinary PS rules could be one of the reasons why Pats went for vet min vets rather than bringing in UDFAs since they can safely stash some solid vets on PS and use weekly promotions to 53 if needed.

Having Hoyer on the team (rather than coaching staff) has therefore many benefits and zero downside. That is why this move was actually expected (from Pats perspective if Hoyer agreed). He can be used in both depth/extra hand player role and mentor/coaching assistant at the same time. It also gives Pats leverage regarding roster spots and trades. If they want to keep just 2QBs on 53 Hoyer is much better proposition for PS than Stidham who still believes he has some future in the league and still has some trade value esp. in another Covid yr. Hoyer is also better option for 3rd QB on the 53 if they should want to use him in in-game assistant/mentor role.

This move of course says absolutely nothing about who is starting week 1 (except that its probably not Stidham) :)
Gotta say, this stuff totally changes the dynamics of keeping 4 QBs. Both Stid and Jones can be stashed on the PS with no fear of losing them. Cam can be starter and Hoyer can be the guy to get you through a game should Cam go down. If Cam goes down then you can decide to spend the entire next week prep'ing one of the young guys and use Hoyer as his backup. Or if Cam stinks he can be cut at will with three other viable candidates to step in.

Gotta respect the hustle of a 2009 UDFA. He sucks but finds a way to make it on teams. Career backup QB is a pretty good way to make it 13 years in the NFL
Interestingly he has started 39 games for 7 different teams and was named the Browns starter at the beginning of 2013 and started the first 13 games, so I'd say he was more than a career backup, although he did not earn a long term starter's job. It does help explain his career earnings.

Kinda has some trippy stuff, like him starting games for ARI and IND.

Yeah, damn Bill investing the #15 overall pick to try to fix a position. What could he have been thinking?
BPA, baby!

Gotta say, this stuff totally changes the dynamics of keeping 4 QBs. Both Stid and Jones can be stashed on the PS with no fear of losing them. Cam can be starter and Hoyer can be the guy to get you through a game should Cam go down. If Cam goes down then you can decide to spend the entire next week prep'ing one of the young guys and use Hoyer as his backup. Or if Cam stinks he can be cut at will with three other viable candidates to step in.

Interestingly he has started 39 games for 7 different teams and was named the Browns starter at the beginning of 2013 and started the first 13 games, so I'd say he was more than a career backup, although he did not earn a long term starter's job. It does help explain his career earnings.

Kinda has some trippy stuff, like him starting games for ARI and IND.

BPA, baby!
So, you think that we should cut Jones, and sign him to the Practice Squad for $10K a week?

Apparently, Hoyer thinks that he is making the roster. Otherwise, he would taken the Jets job.

I dont see how you make that connection. Whats more likely is that the difference in pay was not worth being away from his family that lives in NE.

So, you think that we should cut Jones, and sign him to the Practice Squad for $10K a week?
I don't know, do the special covid era rules mean players need to take a pay cut to be on the practice squad? Otherwise it doesn't make much sense to have those special rules.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back