PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer “The Destroyer” Returns

Is somebody hurt? That is the only way I can see this signing making any sense!

I’ve been saying to make Hoyer a coach for years.
Maybe this is cunning BB giving Hoyer the chance to compete have him have his aha moment that he is finished as a player then talk him into coaching.
Only thing that make sense.

Yeah, but Hoyer was touted as an experienced game manager, and when it counted, he choked. I can see him as a mentor/coach: Do as I say, not as I do.

It was one game.

I think we win more games last year if Hoyer started all 16. It would have still been ugly football though.

The only thing that would really surprise me when it comes to the QB position this year is if Mac Jones got cut (unprecedented really). Everyone else has a contract/situation that makes them painless to move on from if it came to that.
I think “surprise” is putting it lightly. Lol

I loved that guy. But Hoyer is more valuable to the team.

But since you brought him up, one of my favorite preseason TDs.

Even funnier is replaying the beginning a few times and focusing on one or two players each time just to see how completely bamboozled they all were...Wonder what the Vagiants former DC Belcher is doing these days...

Does having Hoyer on the Practice Squad make any sense (decision to be made in late August)?

Does having Hoyer as a camp arm have any huge disadvantages, other than taking the place of a player that Belichick doesn't want on the team?

I thought it was understated. He was absolutely trash in the KC game. Cam was bad but there was hope that he could may be do something. I felt nothing with Hoyer there. The coaches saw what I saw. He is dunsky as a player. He may be an excellent coach and maybe he is here to be a QB/Player coach.
His performance in the KC games was better than most of Cam’s.

Lazar had a good explanation why a QB4 makes sense for them.

Apparently Lewerke was pretty sought after for those side sessions last year.

Ultimately, this is a camp body signing and has no bearing on Newton/Jones.

Lazar had a good explanation why a QB4 makes sense for them.

Apparently Lewerke was pretty sought after for those side sessions last year.

Ultimately, this is a camp body signing and has no bearing on Newton/Jones.

Unlikely. I can't remember the last time we had 4 QBs. Something is up. Either Stidham or Cam is gone. Most likely Stidham.

Folks are quick to dismiss Stidham, however there has not been much of a body of work to judge him on. Last year he was held back due to some sort of hip injury, no TC....

He has thrown 48 NFL passes completing 24 with 4 ints.. not very impressive. Will see how this all shakes out, he might be gone, Hoyer may have been signed to mentor Jones.. as fans we do not know the master plan for any of this..

I loved that guy. But Hoyer is more valuable to the team.

But since you brought him up, one of my favorite preseason TDs.

Hoyer is more valuable as what?....a QB coach?!

Is somebody hurt? That is the only way I can see this signing making any sense!
I know ...agreed....this signing makes NO sense otherwise....Hoyer has been done for awhile

So bring him in as a coaching assistant. Don’t waste a roster spot on him.
Yeah. That's the curious part.
Hoyer is the perfect candidate to be stashed as the 3rd emergency QB on the practice squad running the scout team, mentoring Jones and be available to be promoted to the game day roster a couple of times if needed. Bonus or guaranteed money might make it worth his while to stick around in that capacity beyond the $100,000 or so he can be paid as a practice squad member. It beats working for a living.
I've been saying this for over a year now. That's where his value is, not on the field. I could see him as a long shot, taking Stidham's spot to mentor Jones. We're not keeping 4 QB's after drafting one with the 15th overall pick though.

Pats were always bringing another QB this offseason. In another Covid preseason 4 is the minimum.

Hoyer acted more as a personal assistant to Tom for some time already and had a lot of trust from both TB and McD.
So he can serve not only to Mac but Cam as well.

Last year Pats had 4 QBs - 3 on 53 and 1 on PS. All teams will cary at least 4 QBs again this year on their combined 53+PS rosters - with COVID protocol likely to remain. In addition: Pats carried 4 QBs on 53 when they drafted Tom.

That wont be necessary now since by current rules they can place anyone on PS and they can protect up to 4 players from being signed by other teams (so in theory they could even put Cam on PS). Here are the PS rules:

btw - These extraordinary PS rules could be one of the reasons why Pats went for vet min vets rather than bringing in UDFAs since they can safely stash some solid vets on PS and use weekly promotions to 53 if needed.

Having Hoyer on the team (rather than coaching staff) has therefore many benefits and zero downside. That is why this move was actually expected (from Pats perspective if Hoyer agreed). He can be used in both depth/extra hand player role and mentor/coaching assistant at the same time. It also gives Pats leverage regarding roster spots and trades. If they want to keep just 2QBs on 53 Hoyer is much better proposition for PS than Stidham who still believes he has some future in the league and still has some trade value esp. in another Covid yr. Hoyer is also better option for 3rd QB on the 53 if they should want to use him in in-game assistant/mentor role.

This move of course says absolutely nothing about who is starting week 1 (except that its probably not Stidham) :)

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back