PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Burke, ESPN Analytics: "Reduce penalties... by increasing the penalty yardage"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see people still keep fighting symptoms instead of the underlying issue which in this case is the complexity of the rulebook and the many grey areas that become judgement calls.
But to some degree you have to accept there has to be complexity and there will be gray areas.
I think the bigger underlying issue is that people need to accept officiating will be imperfect and stop whining about it.

As far as increasing the amount of penalty as a deterrent, no that would do nothing.

I kinda like what someone said in a comment thread on this proposal elsewhere -- for every defensive penalty that gives an automatic first down to the offense, the analogous offensive penalty should create an immediate 4th down (or loss of possession if it is 4th down). So, for example, if the offense is called for holding on first down, it's now fourth down.
Yuck

How to solve rising penalty rates in the NFL: Increase the yardage

I've quoted the changes below so you need not click on ESPN...

View attachment 25105

I understand the motive... reducing penalties... but honestly, a good chunk of the penalties called are ticky-tack, if not completely wrong. Refs especially mess up roughing the passer and pass interference these days, and those are big impact plays. And honestly, teams probably technically commit some kind of a penalty on every play. Can't say that more penalty yardage feels like the right answer.

So, what to do? Anything? I'd personally prefer to see the NFL only throw the flag on plays that even that team's own fans will say, "yeah... that's a foul." Instead... it's flag after flag after flag... dunno how you all feel... but I feel like yelling at the TV...

giphy.gif

Yea its pretty much always a drive killer to get an offensive holding penalty, I'd have to look up the statistics but I'd imagine teams punt A LOT after getting a holding penalty

and even for a 5 yard defensive holding, the defense gives up a 1st down so I think the penalties are already stiff enough and highly impact a drive. They should pan over to Belichick after one of his players gets a dumb penalty, I'm sure he's like "No big deal, its only 15 yards and an automatic first down.. at least its not 20!"

Holding already kills 70 percent of drives or something like that

A lot of attention to an intern at BSPN being paid here!

I thought there was a committee in place consisting of actual NFL personnel that considers and implements rule changes, not some dumbazz graduate of the University of Bristol?

And personally, I think there are far too many rules in the game as it is.

If defensive holding is 5 yards, why is offensive holding 10?

Because it's offensive. Haven't you been keeping up with the rise of shaming and ridicule culture? This is today's more sensitive NFL.

I have a better idea. Just stop calling every stupid little thing because Bill Polian threw a hissy fit and just let the people play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes