PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brees: League* BS tanks ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comments are interesting. Seems a lot of fans haven't made the connection between Goodell and the decline throughout the league.

Maybe, they just don't want to admit to themselves that the front office has ****ed up all these little scandals and -gates too.

EDIT - Brees reminds me why the Saints are my NFC binkie. I hope they decimate Denver next week.

Was at the local DC Patriots bar vs. the Squeelers... Outside smoking, saw a little gaggle in Saints gear and we traded "the League* is bullsh1t" pleasantries... conversation ended with "I hope we see you guys in February" all around.

Was at the local DC Patriots bar vs. the Squeelers... Outside smoking, saw a little gaggle in Saints gear and we traded "the League* is bullsh1t" pleasantries... conversation ended with "I hope we see you guys in February" all around.

I travel around a bit and really enjoy talking to other teams fans in a fun, civil, positive exchange. I'm even ok with light hearted jabs. That's fine. One of my closest friends is a die hard Jets fan and even he's reasonable.

I don't think I've ever ran into a jerk Saints fan. All have been knowledgeable, happy-go lucky and overall good doobies....and man they hate Goody.

Murphy's? I keep saying I'm gonna head over there one of these weekends, just to watch with other Pats fans.

Maybe, the thing is the league office hasn't changed since last year. I think some of this is just wishful thinking for those of us that dislike the league.

If you are looking for the decline from last year to this, you would generally look at things that changed in that period, not things that are the same.

Maybe, the thing is the league office hasn't changed since last year. I think some of this is just wishful thinking for those of us that dislike the league.

If you are looking for the decline from last year to this, you would generally look at things that changed in that period, not things that are the same.

You can look for inciting events between last season and this season. I've got:

1. Anthem protesting
2. Fivehead retiring (outside of NE, he's adored...let's face it)
3. Increased penalties for celebration/taunting
4. No Brady for four games

But none of those are enough to explain away such a consistent and significant downturn in ratings. I'll grant that the anthem stuff was enough for some people on its own, but it wouldn't have been so easy to walk away if the product were better. I see most of those events as the straw the broke the camel's back.

Also, outside of NE and maybe a few other fans here and there, the Brady thing has nothing to do with it. Most people don't care about that, or among a decreasing number of fans (idiots), think the league got that right.

Murphy's? I keep saying I'm gonna head over there one of these weekends, just to watch with other Pats fans.
Took an old friend who was visiting from Mass. over to Murphy's to see the Bills game on the 30th. He loved it.

Also, outside of NE and maybe a few other fans here and there, the Brady thing has nothing to do with it. Most people don't care about that, or among a decreasing number of fans (idiots), think the league got that right.

There's a third category, explained fairly well by the trial of Socrates. According to numerous accounts he was found guilty by a jury of 500 (or 501) Athenians by a vote of 280 (or 281) to 220. Once he was found guilty, the "People's Court," I **** you not, moved on to deciding on the penalty, a fine or death. 360 voted for death, 140 for the fine According to Diogenes Laertius.

80 jurors voted to put Socrates to death for a crime they did not think he committed.

That is to say, there is the fairly prevalent category of non-Patriots fan who have no opinion whether the League* got it right, or even think that the league* got it wrong, but are happy for anything bad that happens to Tom Brady (and the Patriots).

1. Anthem protesting

But none of those are enough to explain away such a consistent and significant downturn in ratings. I'll grant that the anthem stuff was enough for some people on its own, but it wouldn't have been so easy to walk away if the product were better. I see most of those events as the straw the broke the camel's back.

I think the #1 reason for the NFL ratings being down this year is bad prime time match ups over all.
The last 2 sunday night games have been good but over all the thursday night games have been pretty poor. Lot of bad teams in the league.

I think because it being an election year has maybe had a small effect.. I doubt TBagg Manning has had much of an effect... And Brady missing 4 games I would say not much of an effect either.
The Texans VS Patriots game is the only game where ratings were up year over year and that was 3rd string back up Jacoby Brisset.

Fire Goodell

Maybe alot of people cancelling their Cable/Satellite services is catching up.

o_O. Not sure what that means, but trust me, the league is taking a hit. And they are noticing. And it's just beginning. And I like it.:)

1. Anthem protesting

The election as well. I hated Manning, but I still tuned into the games he was playing because I wanted to see him lose. The Brady Manning matches were routinely the highest rated games of the season.

People may not like Brady but they still watched the games. Whether Brady or Manning was Darth Vader or Luke Skywalker the battle was worth watching. Nine of the last 15 Super Bowls featured one of them. Nobody cares to watch Skywalker defeat a storm trooper, or Vader defeat rebel fighter number six.

My guess is the flag fests and corruption didn't help but as long as the games were good people would watch. Now the games aren't good, the players are forgettable, and the QBs are just the leftovers who weren't good enough to challenge Brady and Manning for greatness, but had to wait until they were pushing 40 to be relevant. It's the JV squad out there.

o_O. Not sure what that means, but trust me, the league is taking a hit. And they are noticing. And it's just beginning. And I like it.:)
It means that saying the ratings are down this year because league corruption is like saying the rating are down this year because games are played on Sunday's. Last year the league was corrupt, and games were played on Sunday's and the ratings were better.

There's a third category, explained fairly well by the trial of Socrates. According to numerous accounts he was found guilty by a jury of 500 (or 501) Athenians by a vote of 280 (or 281) to 220. Once he was found guilty, the "People's Court," I **** you not, moved on to deciding on the penalty, a fine or death. 360 voted for death, 140 for the fine According to Diogenes Laertius.

80 jurors voted to put Socrates to death for a crime they did not think he committed.

That is to say, there is the fairly prevalent category of non-Patriots fan who have no opinion whether the League* got it right, or even think that the league* got it wrong, but are happy for anything bad that happens to Tom Brady (and the Patriots).

Thanks for this...taking me back to my freshman year of college studying Classics...:confused:

Took an old friend who was visiting from Mass. over to Murphy's to see the Bills game on the 30th. He loved it.

I hear great things. I also hear arriving early is a must as it gets crowded quickly. Ever since I moved to the DC area, Murphy's was going to be my option for watching the Pats this year...until I discovered slingbox.

It means that saying the ratings are down this year because league corruption is like saying the rating are down this year because games are played on Sunday's. Last year the league was corrupt, and games were played on Sunday's and the ratings were better.
Last year has no bearing on this year. A lot has happened since last year, A LOT!!. People are getting fed up with the leagues "Take it, or leave it" attitude. And people are leaving it. The fans and players are slowly coming out on this. This is just the tip of the iceberg, IMO. My friends laughed at me 2 years ago when I told them this much would happen. And here we are.

There are different types of people on the other side, with different levels of hateability. I'd categorize them like this:

"The Pats got screwed, but couldn't happen to a nicer franchise."
A jerk, but understandable. I get this stance totally, and can respect it somewhat.

"I haven't been paying attention much, but I heard this awesome Deflategate joke."
Low information voter. Can possibly be cowed with a deluge of evidence, but probably doesn't care enough to self-educate.

"The Pats definitely did it. The Wells Report proved it. They also filmed the Rams practices don't you know?"
Total effin morons who should not be allowed to use sharp objects, raise children, or vote in tomorrow's election.

It's death by a thousand cuts, a lot of things slowly chipping away but defame gate and all of goodys mishandling of these issues does play a big part. No one trusts that lying empty suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back