PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady the favorite to win MVP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
****ing ******** that Manning won in 08 and 09. talk about being given an undeserving award

and the year he was Co-MVP with McNair... his stats were pretty pedestrian, he didn't deserve that MVP either...

The media and NFL just love him tho, Manning was basically the default MVP vote unless another player did something so incredible that no one could ignore it. Adrian Peterson going over 2,000 yards is an example, and I remember at the ESPY's when they announced AP as the winner, Manning had a look of disgust on his face lol.. it was like a "How DARE they not give me another MVP over a Running back!"

Brady had to play totally lights out to get his 2 MVPs, Manning got 3 of them handed to him when he was having roughly the same year as other players.. but for some reason everyone was obsessed with him.. they even credited him last year with "Hits stats aren't great, but he just raises the level of play of all the guys around him! Hes incredible!" Even though Osweiler won like 8 games while Manning was injured, including a game against the Pats that decided homefield advantage and now we're seeing the Broncos still going strong with a JAG at QB and they're sitting at 5-1 lol

Possibly but I think it would work in reverse as much, if not more. There's skepticism about the suspension anyway and a phenomenal season would add to the "it was crap, nothing to see here" feeling and that Brady simply is the best.

I would climax if that happened, but I won't hold my breath.. there are still media that believe he did it and keep saying "If he just admitted it no one would have cared"

Phil Simms is one of them, he HATES Brady.. and unfortunately him and NAntz will be calling the game on Sunday

I think TB12 will the win it this year if key players can stay healthy. I always have Rodgers as Brady's biggest opponent when it comes to these awards but he is not playing well at all so I think TB12 has a great chance to win it this year.

Manning used to win it most of the time because he was the media's darling which obviously helps a great deal. Don't get me wrong, there were seasons where he was worthy of winning it but others years, I personally think he wasn't.

Last edited:
Last year TB had two media darlings to battle out against. The point I think some here are making is that if TB keeps pace up, his competition is pretty marginal this year. But IMO if anyone is close enough to make it interesting, I think voters will lean away from TB this year. But for reasons already mentioned I think the situation is lining up nicely for TB to get the votes he'd need.

Realistically, historically, health permitting, TB's normal expected future stats should make him the class of the race by the end (as it stands today against his top competition). Obviously the odds agree with that assessment. And before you say the odds don't matter, or whatever your reasons to doubt TB will get the nod, or maybe you simply have a better player you think is the top candidate, I'll say great! Now, go bet some real money on your choice, then come back here and we can talk all about it :)

Last edited:
I thought the only choices are Andrew luck and Aaron Rodgers?

Honestly MVP QB's barely ever win the Super Bowl. I hope he obviously has an MVP like season, but in the end the only MVP he has this year is the Super Bowl MVP.

However I think people looking back on his career, it will hurt him a little to only have 2 MVP's. So I kinda want him to get 1 more but I really dont care that much.

I just want a blow out mvp super bowl performance, like curb stomping 40-10 type stuff against what ever NFC team dares go against him. That it what I know he wants and has yet to have.

mvps don't win SB. eye on the big prize.

not that he cares or need it but "3 time mvp" sounds better on the resume (besides 5 time sb champ ;))

I think the fact that the Patriots went 3-1 without Brady will completely tank any chance he has of getting MVP votes unless he ends the season with like 40 TDs/ 0 Ints and 4000+ yards..

even still, i just can't see the media giving MVP to a player who served a 4 game suspension

The suspension might factor into the voters decision. The 3-1 record without Brady argument would be ridiculous considering Montana won the 89 MVP even though his team went 3-0 in the games he didn't play.

it really doesn't matter if brady wins or not.

brady's been the best player pretty much every year except 4-5 seasons(when he was young and when he came back from injury). yet brady only has 2 mvps. it's who has the most stat friendly system award. brady is brady whether he throws for 28tds/13ints or 39td/7ints. at the end of the day brady is the guy who you want in a must win situation. even the haters will admit it's brady. it's always been brady. so this award means absolutely nothing.

I think it is simple, if Brady runs the table then he gets the MVP.

Probably. First of all he is great, and not having another truly dominant offensive player this year - so far - to go against also helps. He came in and dominated in two games, if he can keep this up and the Pats win the AFC or come in second, it's probably his. The Vikings doesn't have an MVP type offensive player, so even if they go undefeated - which they won't -, it's hard to imagine one of their players getting it.

Does anyone think the fact that Brady missed games due to a suspension basically eliminates him from winning in the eyes of some voters? Part of me feels like some people won't vote for him just based on that principle. They'll look for any reason to not vote Brady.

It can be an advantage to him, if he comes close to the other top candidates on yards and TD's. Is there a QB who playes like an MVP so far? There are some really good rookies, but they are not going to get it. Is there a veteran QB who played close to him so far - on a per game basis - and plays on a good team? I guess Matt Ryan played awesome, but his team likely won't be among the three best teams. Rivers plays well, as always, but again, his team is not good enough. Brady actually leads among starters in QBR rating, he just doesn't qualify yet.

Brian Cushing won Rookie of The Year then later tested positive for steroids. The AP revoted and again voted him Rookie of the Year. I don't see how they can logically use a suspension excuse against Brady but not Cushing.

Brady might be coming up the rear but the real buzz for MVP frontrunner is still Matt Ryan. But lets face it, there's no way that Matt Ryan will sustain a high level of play all season.

Last edited:
NFL total meltdown: Could Tom Brady Win the MVP this season?

I realise as I make this thread the difficulty of it happening and also Brady probably not caring too much about another MVP award but I want to float the idea.

Brady is banned by the league for four games speciously. Science shows Brady to be innocent. The NFL really believed that the Patriots would be handicapped potentially going to miss out on the play-offs with Brady not playing.

Brady comes back, the Patriots are winning, Brady is throwing touchdowns and zero interceptions so far.

At the same time there don't seem to be any major stand out players who are running away with the MVP. Right now Matt Ryan has been best positioned in the MVP race but he definitely isn't out of sight. The Falcons have lost their last two games.

If the Patriots get the number one seed in the AFC and Brady has an excellent TD-Interception ratio could Brady still win the MVP despite being banned for the first four games? And wouldn't this majorly enrage the other owners and the league office?

I suppose handy Brady the Lombardi trophy is what Roger wants to avoid most but Brady coming back to win the MVP would have to devastate him as well and be even further evidence that Brady did nothing wrong.

I have a vision of Roger handing Brady the Lombardi and Brady giving Roger a nice shot to the throat. As Roger gasps for air, Brady and Belichick laugh and laugh.

A guy can dream, can't he? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference