PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady "Pleads the 5th" when asked if he feels appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I don’t. The defense matched up with teams like Philly throughout the season and the results yielded were better than what they put up in the Super Bowl. The key was that they were able to use a game plan in those games that they chose not to use in the Super Bowl. With the #2 corner sitting on the sidelines, they were forced to match up certain positions in roles that played away from their strengths. The result was that 600 yards of total offense and 33 points on top of the greatest game by a quarterback in history were not enough.
This is just not true.

You can just stop you with this whole trickle down theory your assertion that 3 guys were in roles they can't handle is just false. Rowe struggled in the first quarter but was more than adequate the rest of the game so quarter 1 was an execution problem.
I showed plenty of evidence that Chung is good in the slot so game planning around this fact is not wrong.

This is just not true.

You can just stop you with this whole trickle down theory your assertion that 3 guys were in roles they can't handle is just false. Rowe struggled in the first quarter but was more than adequate the rest of the game so quarter 1 was an execution problem.
I showed plenty of evidence that Chung is good in the slot so game planning around this fact is not wrong.

Sure it is. And I never said they couldn't handle them. What I said is that they are worse at them than they are in their traditional roles. That's not something you want to explore in the Super Bowl. This isn't difficult. Rowe played the nickel corner role mostly in 2017 and was better at that than he was outside. Chung, as your article even states, spends more time close to the box and outside against TEs than he does in the slot. Further, shiftier receivers (like Agholor) have never been his strongsuit. Richards has no strength to speak of, so him even being on the field in a game like this is an abomination.

Like I said though, you can't even bring yourself to say that the game plan was any good. So why are you debating this? The only thing I can think of is that it's out of some misplaced sense of having to defend BB on this one. It's really quite simple:

1. They CHOSE to go with a game plan that was terrible.
  2. The game plan was inserted prior to kickoff and wasn't modified after halftime.
  3. The game was lost due to the defensive side of the ball.
  4. Therefore, the game plan itself sunk the team.

Sure it is. And I never said they couldn't handle them. What I said is that they are worse at them than they are in their traditional roles. That's not something you want to explore in the Super Bowl. This isn't difficult. Rowe played the nickel corner role mostly in 2017 and was better at that than he was outside. Chung, as your article even states, spends more time close to the box and outside against TEs than he does in the slot. Further, shiftier receivers (like Agholor) have never been his strongsuit. Richards has no strength to speak of, so him even being on the field in a game like this is an abomination.

Like I said though, you can't even bring yourself to say that the game plan was any good. So why are you debating this? The only thing I can think of is that it's out of some misplaced sense of having to defend BB on this one. It's really quite simple:

2. The game plan was inserted prior to kickoff and wasn't modified after halftime.
I've said it several times in this thread the game plan was not the problem the execution was piss poor.

Chung's best strength is his versatility so playing him in the slot is part of that. If you only use a guy at his single best trait you will severely limit your versatility and will be very predictable in how you can game plan.

Rowe played the slot because of injury J Jones was our best slot corner. Personally I feel Rowe's best skill is vs bigger guys and would have been a mismatch against Agholar.

Your trickle down theory is not accurate.

I've said it several times in this thread the game plan was not the problem the execution was piss poor.

Because the defense put those players into situations that went away from their strengths. You can't expect perfect or even good execution when you have key players at key positions playing to their weaknesses.

Chung's best strength is his versatility so playing him in the slot is part of that. If you only use a guy at his single best trait you will severely limit your versatility and will be very predictable in how you can game plan.

And yet, he's spent the vast majority of his snaps (more than double) either covering the TE when in man or playing in the box. In those situations, Chung should have been covering Ertz. That's what he does best. Instead, he was covering Agholor and the result was a back-breaking 25 yard reception that a guy with length (cough... Rowe) could have been in a position to contest.

Rowe played the slot because of injury J Jones was our best slot corner. Personally I feel Rowe's best skill is vs bigger guys and would have been a mismatch against Agholar.

Rowe saw time in the slot prior to Jonathan Jones' injury and he played fine there against other shifty receivers. He certainly matched up better against Agholor than Chung did.

Except we've established that it is because, and I've said it before, you yourself can't even make the claim with a straight face that the game plan was any good. If you think long and hard, there's a very good reason for that.

Execution that would have been better if the #2 CB wasn't riding the pine, forcing the three people Kontra is talking about into coverages that they were not comfortable, or capable of. How are you not understanding the entire premise of the arguement to such a degree that your own argument backs up Kontra despite constantly posting in disagreement with what hes saying.

And you did say that

However, when the game plan itself is a mistake a forces multiple players at multiple key positions to do something that they’re simply not good at, it becomes nearly impossible to limit those mistakes on that side of the ball. So, effectively, the game plan itself betrayed them. there, that’s where the blame goes.

And you did say that

Not being good at something or not being as good at something as you are at something else =/= not being able to handle it if asked to do so. I'm not good at coming up with marketing campaigns when compared with the responsibilities of my job, but I could handle it and put something forth if tasked. Would it be as good as what someone with a pure marketing background could offer? Nope. And that's the point.

Execution that would have been better if the #2 CB wasn't riding the pine, forcing the three people Kontra is talking about into coverages that they were not comfortable, or capable of. How are you not understanding the entire premise of the arguement to such a degree that your own argument backs up Kontra despite constantly posting in disagreement with what hes saying.
Butler not playing was Butler's fault. It's the cards BB was dealt he had to game plan to the strengths and weaknesses of the guys he did have available to him. His game plan called for a couple players to play roles they've shown in the past they could handle to try and limit Richards to what they thought he could handle.

Butler not playing was Butler's fault. It's the cards BB was dealt he had to game plan to the strengths and weaknesses of the guys he did have available to him. His game plan called for a couple players to play roles they've shown in the past they could handle to try and limit Richards to what they thought he could handle.

You Belichick sycophants are simply insufferable.

Not being good at something or not being as good at something as you are at something else =/= not being able to handle it if asked to do so. I'm not good at coming up with marketing campaigns when compared with the responsibilities of my job, but I could handle it and put something forth if tasked. Would it be as good as what someone with a pure marketing background could offer? Nope. And that's the point.
You did not say as good you said "they’re simply not good at"

When creating a game plan you need to take into account the strengths and weaknesses of your guys and the guys they go up against. Chung playing slot might not have been his best spot but it was a role he's had plenty of success in and was done to work with other players strenghts and weaknesses.

Butler caused the hole Bill was just scheming around it and with just the slightest bit of better execution and we aren't having a debate.

You Belichick sycophants are simply insufferable.
You're here at Patsfans.com and find it insufferable that we worship at TB and BB alters. You can always click elsewhere.

You did not say as good you said "they’re simply not good at"

If you're comparing the two responsibilities, Chung is simply not good at playing slot receivers compared with how he plays TEs. The stats and how the Patriots use him bear that out.

When creating a game plan you need to take into account the strengths and weaknesses of your guys and the guys they go up against. Chung playing slot might not have been his best spot but it was a role he's had plenty of success in and was done to work with other players strenghts and weaknesses.

Your second sentence defeats your first and shows why the game plan was a major weakness. Chung would have been better tasked covering Ertz and Rowe would have been better tasked covering Agholor.

Butler caused the hole Bill was just scheming around it and with just the slightest bit of better execution and we aren't having a debate.

The problem is that Bill didn't NEED to scheme around it. He CHOSE to scheme around it and CHOSE to go with an inferior rotation and an inferior game plan. Once he chose to do that, he rendered several players incapable of executing as well as they could have had they been able to play to their natural roles that Bill himself had used them in throughout the season.

So So wrong.

Unless you would like to enlighten everyone here with some ACTUAL information as to why the #2 cb got zero snaps and provide a source for said information, The cards BB was dealt were the #2 CB was sick, Missed his flight, and showed up late the first week. Then he was limited for the first two days, at which point he was a full participant in practice, by which point BB decided to put in a game plan that had the CB with 98% of the seasons snaps, regulated to third string and even then when the game went completely to **** defensively decided to never put the #2 cb into the game.

If you get dealt a flush, and then throw away one of the cards, you don't blame the card.

So So wrong.

Unless you would like to enlighten everyone here with some ACTUAL information as to why the #2 cb got zero snaps and provide a source for said information, The cards BB was dealt were the #2 CB was sick, Missed his flight, and showed up late the first week. Then he was limited for the first two days, at which point he was a full participant in practice, by which point BB decided to put in a game plan that had the CB with 98% of the seasons snaps, regulated to third string and even then when the game went completely to **** defensively decided to never put the #2 cb into the game.

If you get dealt a flush, and then throw away one of the cards, you don't blame the card.
I've enlightened the group but I'm not going to run around constantly stating it because I can't reveal my sources.

But the reason Butler got benched is irrelevant to this conversation we Know BB was never playing him because he never played. If you move forward this fact is where this conversation has had it's roots.

If you're comparing the two responsibilities, Chung is simply not good at playing slot receivers compared with how he plays TEs. The stats and how the Patriots use him bear that out.

Your second sentence defeats your first and shows why the game plan was a major weakness. Chung would have been better tasked covering Ertz and Rowe would have been better tasked covering Agholor.

The problem is that Bill didn't NEED to scheme around it. He CHOSE to scheme around it and CHOSE to go with an inferior rotation and an inferior game plan. Once he chose to do that, he rendered several players incapable of executing as well as they could have had they been able to play to their natural roles that Bill himself had used them in throughout the season.
Chung is really good at both roles what's so hard to get. Butler's abscence left him short on guys that could fill one of these roles and BB made his choice.

Your last paragraph is your real problem not the game plan. Your mad he sat Butler and think there is no valid reason for this and you're entitled to your opinion but the game plan was designed based on the fact Butler was not available and had to play to the strengths and weaknesses of the guys available. The execution then sucked and the problem doubled up.

Chung is really good at both roles what's so hard to get. Butler's abscence left him short on guys that could fill one of these roles and BB made his choice.

Your last paragraph is your real problem not the game plan. Your mad he sat Butler and think there is no valid reason for this and you're entitled to your opinion but the game plan was designed based on the fact Butler was not available and had to play to the strengths and weaknesses of the guys available. The execution then sucked and the problem doubled up.

You're using the word absence wrong.

Absence implies that he wasn't available.

Not only was Butler there, he was Active, he was dressed, and he participated in one special teams play.

So far nobody has provided a valid reason that Butler got zero snaps on defense.

I've enlightened the group but I'm not going to run around constantly stating it because I can't reveal my sources.

636445501185538932-XXX-Chris-Mortensen-APS1080-.JPG

You're using the word absence wrong.

Absence implies that he wasn't available.

Not only was Butler there, he was Active, he was dressed, and he participated in one special teams play.

So far nobody has provided a valid reason that Butler got zero snaps on defense.
Bill was never using him on defense. So the bizarre choice to dress him is still not relevant to the defensive game plan.

Exactly why I've made my info known in the Butler thread but don't want to include it in every conversation because I don't want to be the mort. But like I keep saying the reason isn't needed for every discussion. Butler was not playing on D the why doesn't matter for every discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back