PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We knew it was coming.

We should have cut bait while we could 3 rings ago :rolleyes:

Am i the only one who thinks this is bradys last year as a patriot?
I wouldn’t be shocked if he isn’t back next year. I would still say if he’s not retiring he will be a New England Patriot if I had to but I am nowhere near as confident as I would have been a month or two ago.

Nice area. You were almost quite smart... but instead you're a Pats fan. ;)
You sound like my die hard Jets buddy who lives in Brooklyn. He smoked so much dope when we were in school together I swear he has psychosis.

I could see Tom as a veteran backup to Darnold. You know, teach Sam some tricks and so on...
Literally laughed my ass off reading that one! Thanks! Yes, it's very easy to see Brady being ok as a backup to anyone, particularly a stiff like Darnold! You made my day! Thanks!

Last edited:
Who needs a scratching post? Contact me...

I wouldn’t be shocked if he isn’t back next year. I would still say if he’s not retiring he will be a New England Patriot if I had to but I am nowhere near as confident as I would have been a month or two ago.
2020 has the makings for a classic Mexican Standoff.

TB12 moves on he goes to a lesser organization/situation. He makes more money. He stays and makes less money but hes back here.

As the owner, If Tom stays Kraft is in a good place but needs to pay up. If he does that he may irritate BB. If Tom leaves he'll be known as the owner to let Tom walk.

If Tom leaves BB will have a lesser Qb but may also take the PR hit. If Tom stays he'll loose cap space.

I keep hearing the talking heads bring up Drew Brees over and over again. Did any of them ever compare the two?
Drew Brees: Drew Brees Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap
Total: $248,933,000 over 19 years
Tom Brady: Tom Brady Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money, and Contract History | Over The Cap
Total: $222,324,206 over 20 years

So, Brees averaged $13,101,737 per year and Brady averaged $11,116,210 per year. I just don't think this is that big of a difference, especially when you consider that Brees actually got to free agency 4 times, with one of those times resulting in him earning a cool $40 Million in one year. Brady's done pretty darn good for someone that never hit the open market.

The idea that we'd even consider being concerned for someone who has made $222M in 20 years shows how we can all lose perspective inside the deep hole that is sports fandom.

2020 has the makings for a classic Mexican Standoff.

TB12 moves on he goes to a lesser organization/situation. He makes more money. He stays and makes less money but hes back here.

As the owner, If Tom stays Kraft is in a good place but needs to pay up. If he does that he may irritate BB. If Tom leaves he'll be known as the owner to let Tom walk.

If Tom leaves BB will have a lesser Qb but may also take the PR hit. If Tom stays he'll loose cap space.
I obviously have no inside knowledge of the inner workings of the organization but I always felt like Kraft let Bill run the show. That said I feel like there may have been an occasion or two (Troy Brown and Vince) where Bill was going to let them walk but RKK wanted one more year. Granted Brady is in a whole different stratosphere than those guys but I am sure Kraft will have some say in this.

I think the Jets could offer Brady $40m+ For a year and it would make sense to do so. They take Beady away from a rival. They get Brady for a year and try and win. They install a team culture. And they release Brady after a year and he still can’t go back to Pats who have moved on and he’s out of the division. They can offer $50m and split cap hit over 2 years (through a 2 yr contract) like Pats did with Revis and get a comp selection back.

Once you open Pandora’s box, anything can happen. Money talks.

You CONSISTENTLY ignore the other 50% of that transaction.

For it to mean anything, Brady would have to ACCEPT that scenario. You do understand there would be TWO parties to the agreement?

Why would he ever do so? You fail each time to put forth any scenario where it would be beneficial to him and his legacy to do so.

Last edited:
I obviously have no inside knowledge of the inner workings of the organization but I always felt like Kraft let Bill run the show. That said I feel like there may have been an occasion or two (Troy Brown and Vince) where Bill was going to let them walk but RKK wanted one more year. Granted Brady is in a whole different stratosphere than those guys but I am sure Kraft will have some say in this.
Yea not sure about anyone else but there is no question with TB12 contract matters Krafty Bob calls the shots. I do think he and Jonathan do their best to respect BB's desires but Tom's situation demands special considerations.

I could see Tom as a veteran backup to Darnold. You know, teach Sam some tricks and so on...
Hahahaha! You wish in your wildest dreams! (although I agree if Brady ever became a free agent [and NO, Sh-messy, I am not saying that he will] the Jets would go after him with everything they've got).

What unbelievable whiplash over the past 48 hours.

We go from:
“Breaking: Brady finalizing two year extension basically guaranteeing he retires a Patriot, suck it doomsayers!”

To:
“Breaking: Brady extension is actually a sham, this remains his final year under contract.”

To:
“Breaking: Brady puts his fu.cking house up for sale.”

I’m pretty depressed.

The season cannot start soon enough.

I could see Tom beating out Darnold for the starting job.

Hahahaha! You wish in your wildest dreams! (although I agree if Brady ever became a free agent [and NO, Sh-messy, I am not saying that he will] the Jets would go after him with everything they've got).

I hear ya, Past-Deb!

I could see Tom as a veteran backup to Darnold. You know, teach Sam some tricks
You mean like how to read defenses and how to avoid throwing off back foot while under pressure? Or maybe, how to escape New Jersey?

Methinks they're likely not happy about all the media attention, so they removed it from MLS and will be looking to sell privately instead.....

Yeah, because who could have ever predicted the fallout of THAT?

No - it's insane to think the Patriots won't just pay him somewhere close to market value. Oh that's right...Stidham is the answer. Lol.
Two to tango. If a company in Birmingham, Alabama offered me 4x my salary, I wouldn’t move “just because they offered more than fair market value”.

You read that I suspect things will work out. Nowhere do I suggest Stidham is the answer, nor that I want him back there in 2020. I just think it’s not out of the realm that Brady moves on.

You mean like how to read defenses and how to avoid throwing off back foot while under pressure? Or maybe, how to escape New Jersey?

It's truly impressive that Kevin Arnold's OBVIOUS sarcasm consistently gets you red-faced on command. He's Pavlov to you, Scribe.

You should be concerned that darnold will be out of the league before Brady.
50/50 that he will start more games than Brady from today on a d brady will win more playoff games for the pats, from today forward than darnold will win in his Jete career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes