PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady contract situation (Merged - UPDATED:Deal Done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's a 2 year contract worth 23 million this year,do signing bonuses count at all against the cap?

No. We don't know the full details yet. Signing bonuses count, but they are pro-rated over the lifetime of the contract.

Basically....a cap number = base contract + signing bonus pro-ration + any other LTBE* bonuses.

*LTBE= Likey To Be Earned (e.g. Brady will play 80% of the offensive snaps)

They're going to try to somehow push cap cost into his retirement and there will probably be a rules change after it works.

The only money that doesn't hit the year it's paid is pro-rated signing bonus, and that can't be spread out more than one year after the player retires.

I posted this on Twitter.

Way to soon to conclude this deal will keep Brady in uniform beyond this season.
Need to know the guaranteed figures

Assumptions (based on things I've read. May be wrong).
* 2019 cap was $27mil
* Brady 2019 cash to be paid was $15mil (based on reports saying he's now getting paid $23mil and that was a $8mil raise).
* Therefore 2019 dead cap is $12mil (since $15 + $12 = $27)
* New deal freed up $5.5mil in cap, which means his new cap hit is $27-$5.5 = $21.5
* (Big assumption here) New deals cannot affect pre-existing dead cap for that year.

If so, that means that the $21.5mil cap hit consists of the $12mil dead cap and a $9.5mil cap hit from the $23mil cash he's getting paid in 2019.
To pay out $23mil cash with a $9.5mil cap hit means a $2.75mil salary and $20.25mil signing bonus.

That bonus will cause a $6.75mil add-on hit in 2020 and 2021, meaning hits of $36.75mil and $38.75mil in those years. Yow!!

However, Field Yates is reporting that 2020 and 2021 are "void years", meaning there are no guaranteed dollars associated with them and NE could cut Brady and not pay him anything. If so, as I understand it that would mean their cap hit would only be $6.75mil in 2021 if he was cut just before that season or $13.5mil in 2020 if he was cut just before that season.

It seems that the 2020 cap is deep trouble.

TB extension + Gordon applies for reinstatement = a pretty nice Sunday off from practice

TB extension + Gordon applies for reinstatement = a pretty nice Sunday off from practice

step 1 is accomplished on my wish list for the Patriots training camp
step 2 would be get Gordon back
step 3 get out of camp without significant injuries

but so far so good.

It seems that the 2020 cap is deep trouble.
It’s certainly not the same tune that many here have been whistling over the past year, that’s for sure.

They're going to try to somehow push cap cost into his retirement and there will probably be a rules change after it works.

Cap gets pushed into a player’s retirement all the time. $2 million has been pushed into Gronk’s “retirement”. More than likely it will in Brady case as well. His 2020 cap figure is currently at $37 million, so it’s very likely a good chunk of that will be thrown forward into 2021 or beyond.

Assumptions (based on things I've read. May be wrong).
* 2019 cap was $27mil
* Brady 2019 cash to be paid was $15mil (based on reports saying he's now getting paid $23mil and that was a $8mil raise).
* Therefore 2019 dead cap is $12mil (since $15 + $12 = $27)
* New deal freed up $5.5mil in cap, which means his new cap hit is $27-$5.5 = $21.5
* (Big assumption here) New deals cannot affect pre-existing dead cap for that year.

If so, that means that the $21.5mil cap hit consists of the $12mil dead cap and a $9.5mil cap hit from the $23mil cash he's getting paid in 2019.
To pay out $23mil cash with a $9.5mil cap hit means a $2.75mil salary and $20.25mil signing bonus.

That bonus will cause a $6.75mil add-on hit in 2020 and 2021, meaning hits of $36.75mil and $38.75mil in those years. Yow!!

However, Field Yates is reporting that 2020 and 2021 are "void years", meaning there are no guaranteed dollars associated with them and NE could cut Brady and not pay him anything. If so, as I understand it that would mean their cap hit would only be $6.75mil in 2021 if he was cut just before that season or $13.5mil in 2020 if he was cut just before that season.
Your math works based on the information that’s been released to date. We’ll see what additional detail is to come.

However, Field Yates is reporting that 2020 and 2021 are "void years", meaning there are no guaranteed dollars associated with them and NE could cut Brady and not pay him anything.
I love how Yates is acting like he just discovered plutonium or something like that. The vast majority of contracts in the NFL have "void years" - which is just a fancy way of saying it isn't guaranteed money.

Last edited:
Great news, even as predictable as it was!

My only question is whether Social Security can affect Tom's cap hit in 2039 ? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes