PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady’s contract with Tampa Bay - $25m/yr for 2 years?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s also possible BB is wrong.
It is. But he's the one making the call, and more than not he has been right. We'll see.

man Tampa Bay, with all due respect, is a ****ty market, Brady had no other options left. There wasn't a big market for him because many teams already have a franchise QB or are in the process and don't want to disrupt whatever they have in there.

Tampa Bay had a good roster , specially on the offensive front, and a need for a QB. Ok it was a fit. But do you think Brady wanted to go there???

Answer: NO, NO ****ING WAY. No way he wanted to end his marvelous career like this. And I don't think the question was money either.

He left because he still wants to play football and there was no other option because NE can't field a decent roster because they can't draft and he's saving that franchise for years but it comes to a point he needs some help and the GM doesn't give a ****.

It's a shame this happened. I think Brady struggled a lot because he is a good soldier but man he had to desert.

So Brady is old and the team treated him like ****. So take that, the GM is old as well almost 70 and can't draft to save his life. What about that ******** he's only going to draft the players he wants to coach?? What the **** that means, draft those so called coaches on the field? Like Jordan Richards, how's that working out lately? So he is going to pass on a better talent because guys have a bit too much confidence on themselves or guys that in the 4th year are going to say out loud that they wanna GET PAID? Are those unwanted players?

The coach is old as well and is seems to be reflecting of the field making stupid challenges and losing those smarts he had over any other coach in the league.

If its an age problem and lack of trust, I'd rather keep the old QB for another 3 years, he seems healthier than the average 35ish years old QB out there.

IT'S A SHAME, A COMPLETE EMBARRASSMENT THAT HAD TO END LIKE THIS.

Completely agree. That’s exactly how I see it too. This is a colossus blunder.

Matt Chatham said it better than I had words for but this pretty well sums up where I am with this divorce:

Outside of Biffins, who needed a replacement rant subject with the AB thing having run its course, I'd like to think when the dust clears most folks will end up here. Again kids, this divorce doesn't have to be a zero sum game. You don't have to pick a side and be on either Team Mom or Team Dad

Maybe you don’t recall but I had a massive rant last year about how the Pats bungled Brady’s contract extension and how it will end up in a situation where we lose Brady. Everyone laughed me off as being paranoid as Brady was too important for us to contemplate losing him. Now everyone is laughing me off as paranoid as Brady’s just a cog in BB’s machine and BB’s system will keep humming. The inconsistency is nauseating.

It is. But he's the one making the call, and more than not he has been right. We'll see.

More often than not, he had Brady. Brady‘s greatness retrospectively validated BB’s decisions, even the poor ones. Now the jig is up.

This non-stop repeat Biffins bot seems like an AI bot implemented poorly

Maybe you don’t recall but I had a massive rant last year about how the Pats bungled Brady’s contract extension and how it will end up in a situation where we lose Brady. Everyone laughed me off as being paranoid as Brady was too important for us to contemplate losing him. Now everyone is laughing me off as paranoid as Brady’s just a cog in BB’s machine and BB’s system will keep humming. The inconsistency is nauseating.

Myopia is fairly nauseating as well. In this instance it's also keeping you from comprehending anything that doesn't fit in your scope. I am not laughing you off as 'paranoid' at all nor do I believe the GOAT was just a spoke in BB's Great Big Wheel. Although I was being playful about the way you latch onto a subject like a terrier with a bone it was done in hopes of getting you to step back a bit and give it some thought.

The reality is the Pats have been so very good at kicking the salary cap can down the road that many fans didn't even realize they were doing it. If The GOAT hadn't continued to do GOAT things for well beyond any reasonably expected amount of time then most of those fans still wouldn't realize it. But Brady was greater for longer than even his biggest fan could have anticipated half a dozen years ago and here we are. That's the bad news, the good news is those years yielded his best run yet and while the piper must be paid we've had a helluva dance. There simply isn't cap space to pay Brady and put a playoff team around him and from the perspective of this fan of the GOAT if he's going to keep playing he deserves to be competing for a ring. The cap space that isn't there now was spent on the last 3 Lombardis. Talk about a hellacious ROI, it's good to be us even now when we have to answer the margin call.

Please don't spend so much time crying over what you no longer have that it diminishes the joy of what was. Me, I'm happy the marriage lasted as long as it did and was so incredibly fruitful. And NO ONE is going to get me to choose between 'Mom & Dad', I love 'em both even if they don't love each other anymore.

Last edited:
The Pats wanted to go year-to-year. Brady wanted that second year guarantied.

What's not to get? He's gone. The offense needs to be blown up and that process will be a lot easier with Tom gone. Now new WR's and QB's won't have to adapt to the "most complex offense in the league" and will have something that will play to their strengths.
Belichick also probably views the mobile quarterback and RPO offense as the future based on guys like Mahomes and Jackson. In terms of play style, Brady is a dinosaur and only getting more prehistoric by the day.

Hoyer is a great signing nonetheless. We aren't going to be relevant this year and Hoyer either teaches Stidham some tricks on the sideline or is a sacrificial lamb on the field.

I don't believe the statement that Belichick deprived Brady of weapons on offense. Seems to me BB did everything possible within the limits of the salary cap to provide weapons. He spend a 1st round pick on a WR, signed Thomas, signed Brown the moment he became available. Doesn't seem to me that he wasn't trying. Yes he traded Thomas after signing Brown, but who knew Brown would blow up the next day.

Unfortunately, the Pat's ran into a string of bad luck on offense starting with Harry, LaCosse, Wynn, Andrews, Develin, Edelman, Sanu, et al injuries (too many to name all). Brown blows up, Gordon backslides. Sanu injured two games after joining the team. Did BB take some risks? Yes, but that's what you do when you have a SB caliber team and a salary cap. BB tried. People need to knock off this "lack of weapons" line. Did TB have a "lack of weapons" last year? Maybe, but it wasn't because they didn't exist. If Tampa Bay experiences a similar string of injuries next year, TB will again be playing with a lack of weapons. Who will he cry to then.
I stand with the weapons argument. Brady had weapons but Belichick was moving the team towards a defensive focus in terms of contracts. I'm not complaining about that but it should be stated.

An alternate approach: Kansas City. They had far more cap resources dedicated to the offense and -- at least this year -- that emphasis resulted in a Super Bowl. I think Brady wants all the spending to be on weapons for him and Belichick couldn't stomach going "all in" on the offense with an aging Brady at the helm.

Myopia is fairly nauseating as well. In this instance it's also keeping you from comprehending anything that doesn't fit in your scope. I am not laughing you off as 'paranoid' at all nor do I believe the GOAT was just a spoke in BB's Great Big Wheel. Although I was being playful about the way you latch onto a subject like a terrier with a bone it was done in hopes of getting you to step back a bit and give it some thought.

The reality is the Pats have been so very good at kicking the salary cap can down the road that many fans didn't even realize they were doing it. If The GOAT hadn't continued to do GOAT things for well beyond any reasonably expected amount of time then most of those fans still wouldn't realize it. But Brady was greater for longer than even his biggest fan could have anticipated half a dozen years ago and here we are. That's the bad news, the good news is those years yielded his best run yet and while the piper must be paid we've had a helluva dance. There simply isn't cap space to pay Brady and put a playoff team around him and from the perspective of this fan of the GOAT if he's going to keep playing he deserves to be competing for a ring. The cap space that isn't there now was spent on the last 3 Lombardis. Talk about a hellacious ROI, it's good to be us even now when we have to answer the margin call.

Please don't spend so much time crying over what you no longer have that it diminishes the joy of what was. Me, I'm happy the marriage lasted as long as it did and was so incredibly fruitful. And NO ONE is going to get me to choose between 'Mom & Dad', I love 'em both even if they don't love each other anymore.
Amen to the piper needing to be paid but it being a helluva dance. I'm also hoping we can minimize that "payment" by just purging the roster of long-term veteran contracts. It's also time to trade assets like Gilmore in package deals with any bad contracts to get them off the books.

We might not even have a season this year, so maybe some of the painful on the field play will be minimized. Who knows.

Belichick also probably views the mobile quarterback and RPO offense as the future based on guys like Mahomes and Jackson. In terms of play style, Brady is a dinosaur and only getting more prehistoric by the day.

Hoyer is a great signing nonetheless. We aren't going to be relevant this year and Hoyer either teaches Stidham some tricks on the sideline or is a sacrificial lamb on the field.

The dinosaur just lifted a Lombardi 13 months ago. Also until the wheels came off, we had 1st seed in AFC locked up by some margin 11 weeks into 2019 season. You recall we were 10-1 at one point.

I stand with the weapons argument. Brady had weapons but Belichick was moving the team towards a defensive focus in terms of contracts. I'm not complaining about that but it should be stated.

An alternate approach: Kansas City. They had far more cap resources dedicated to the offense and -- at least this year -- that emphasis resulted in a Super Bowl. I think Brady wants all the spending to be on weapons for him and Belichick couldn't stomach going "all in" on the offense with an aging Brady at the helm.

Hard to say Brady wants "all in". Asking for an upgrade from Meyers, Harry, Dorsett, Gunner, and from TEs like Izzo and LaCosse is not same as going "all in". Clearly we've not been paying any piper on these positions. Patriots ranked 12th in Defense cap space and consequently 21st in Offense cap space. Excluding QB, the offense cap space ex qb Pats ranked 8th in NFL. So clearly we are bottom quartile in spending money to assist the QB. That's BB's decision. Maybe he can't draft anyone or recruit anyone in those positions. Or bring anyone in. What's clear is that BB can't whine about performance there when he's made a deliberate decision to starve that.

For 2019 people were saying "Wow Pats have an awesome secondary". Well it better be. Pats ranked 3rd for cap space allocated to S and CB, after Ravens and Dolphins. All numbers from the below.

Positional Spending | Over the Cap

So you can't say "Awesome secondary. Well done Gilmore, NFL DPOY. Great job DMAC, here take another contract. Awesome play." Meanwhile you all lambast Brady "Yeah he was a step slow. Yeah the completion rate fell off. Yeah he threw a lot of balls away". Meanwhile we're ranked 3rd in CB + S cap space and in bottom quartile for cap space allocated to Offense ex-QB. Well what did you expect?

And for Brady to ask there to be some balance is for him to demand "all in". Come on. Patriots had the lowest cap space ($2.6m) dedicated to the TE position in the entire league, after running a TE heavy offense all decade. It was like running into a brick wall. BB didn't position the offense to succeed.

The dinosaur just lifted a Lombardi 13 months ago. Also until the wheels came off, we had 1st seed in AFC locked up by some margin 11 weeks into 2019 season. You recall we were 10-1 at one point.
I also recall us playing the easiest schedule in the NFL the first eight weeks. I'd take last year's early success with a grain of salt considering we were 4-4 when things got remotely challenging. That weighed on Belichick's mind.

Last edited:

Surely you must be joking...

What Brady perhaps wanted was for Billy to stop shopping for groceries that mostly sucked.

Sorry, but you guys don't deserve the GOAT.

NEP should have treated Brady like Kobe, after all, the man took paycuts every single year, made everyone around him better and, most important, gave Bill a hugeeeeee margin for error, leading everyone by example, winning 6 SB rings. SIX!!!!!!!

And he should have won 7, if not by Bill sabotaging the team benching Butler.

Now you guys are telling me he deserves the same cold treatment as everyone else?
Give me a ****in break.

28-3, did you remember?
Seahawks leading 24-14, did you remember?

Frankly, I am disgusted.

Yes, I am a bandwagoner, so what?

Deal with irrelevance now.

NEP should have treated Brady like Kobe, after all, the man took paycuts every single year, make everyone around him better and, most important, gave Bill a hugeeeeee margin for error, leading everyone by example, winning 6 SB rings. SIX!!!!!!!

Now you guys are telling me he deserves the same cold treatment as everyone else?
Give me a ****in break.

28-3, did you remember?

Frankly, I am disgusted.

I choose patriots above bill and brady.

But people's willingness to swallow the party line and kick brady to the curb is my issue.

Brady being here next year does not hinder nor prevent this team from winning and if winning is the goal then wtf are we doing here?

Horrible classless decision

Surely you must be joking...

What Brady perhaps wanted was for Billy to stop shopping for groceries that mostly sucked.

exactly.

Sanu instead of Sanders

No Gronk Replacement

Michel instead of Chubb

Harry instead of Brown or Metcalf

passing on DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley

list goes on

Brian Hoyer has never been, and will never be, a "great signing".

exactly.

Sanu instead of Sanders

No Gronk Replacement

Michel instead of Chubb

Harry instead of Brown or Metcalf

passing on DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley

list goes on

Bill had two or three great drafts

Hes had way more bust though and if anyone can nit pick bill for anything it's his ability to draft

NEP should have treated Brady like Kobe, after all, the man took paycuts every single year, made everyone around him better and, most important, gave Bill a hugeeeeee margin for error, leading everyone by example, winning 6 SB rings. SIX!!!!!!!

Give me a ****in break.

28-3, did you remember?

Frankly, I am disgusted.

387902A2-D3E1-4477-9CE8-EDBBC3AAD640.jpeg 32F1DE61-C9EC-4E65-8F8B-67B43CD24F46.jpeg

Bye, Felecia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes