PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bourne talking up Cam

Let me guess, covid, injuries, lack of knowledge of the routes, lack of trust in the receivers to win routes, lowered confidence in general, etc. couldn't possibly contribute to any poor throws, right? Still managed a 65.8% rate so those haunting images in your head of balls hitting the dirt might be a bit overblown.
Come on dude, you were watching the games. It wasn’t just balls in the dirt. It was passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, awful interceptions, zero touch on the ball especially with dump offs to the RB. His mechanics were god awful.

Why are we lying to ourselves? Cam sucked and we all know it. Now we’ve got this sunshine and lollipops narrative surrounding him as he is looking like our starting QB this year. It’s only acceptable if we go QB with our first draft pick.

Come on dude, you were watching the games. It wasn’t just balls in the dirt. It was passes batted down at the line of scrimmage, awful interceptions, zero touch on the ball especially with dump offs to the RB. His mechanics were god awful.

Why are we lying to ourselves? Cam sucked and we all know it. Now we’ve got this sunshine and lollipops narrative surrounding him as he is looking like our starting QB this year. It’s only acceptable if we go QB with our first draft pick.
Look man, I'm providing reasons that I believe could explain his poor play. You guys keep responding with, "but he played so poorly!". Do you see the silliness of this? Do you honestly think there's no reasonable hope that he could perform significantly better this year? I'm not suggesting he can play at an all-pro level, but I can see top half of the league statistically.

Let me guess, covid, injuries, lack of knowledge of the routes, lack of trust in the receivers to win routes, lowered confidence in general, etc. couldn't possibly contribute to any poor throws, right? Still managed a 65.8% rate so those haunting images in your head of balls hitting the dirt might be a bit overblown.
Part of the reason why I'm leaving the door open for a better season from Cam in terms of the mechanic/yips stuff is that with a better supporting cast he very well might not fall into those panicky/bad habits.

We're too used to having the most mentally-tough player of all time under center.

I think its fair to say cam newton looked horrible last year. he did, his mechanics started out well and degraded by the end of the year. In the beginning of the year, I remember his mechanics looked good and we heard Josh McDaniels was working with him. by the end of the year, it was all down the toilet. And, 8 TD passes is bad by any level. He also had poor pocket awareness and couldn't see the blitz coming.

But, its also fair to say he wasn't given the best situation. he had the worst collection of skill players in the league. 2 nfl caliber wide receivers, no tight ends. Threw near league lows in passes thrown per game (because the patriots didnt have the personnel to field a passable passing offense) and had a limited offseason. he then had the abdominal injury which i am not sure if that also lead to his passing woes. Tom Brady went from 25TD's in 2019 to 40 TD's in 2020 a jump of 15 with new receivers. So, we cant totally discount the talent around Cam not having an effect on his play/stats.

now, none of this is excusing cam newton. theres a percentage of last year that is on him, and a percentage of last year that is on the talent/circumstances around him. Judging by the fact that Bill re-signed cam newton and went crazy in free agency, he clearly thinks that most of the issues were due to the talent around cam newton and can be coached up/resolved with a full offseason.

maybe hes wrong, but im willing to give Bill the benefit of the doubt. we also have to realize its only March. lets see what happens in the draft. Bill may trade up and get a top guy and at that point does anyone care if Cam newton quarterbacks this team for a year?

Cam has holes but he isn't a bum either. He is better than Suckbisky, Mariota, the shell of Alex Smith, and any other QB was that reasonably available during FA.

Getting Russ or Watson, before rubbed gate, was never attainable.

Cam isn't elite, but he can be serviceable, and with the right weapons, which I think Bill got him, can do good. The draft is where a franchise QB will have to be found
I used to be a bigger critic of Trubisky than I am now. I think he could develop with the Pats, as could Mariota. Smith has never been my cup of tea and that was before he almost lost his leg.

I agree that Watson and Wilson are not realistic, but I'm still hopeful that something could come up on draft day, including a trade for a QB on another team. There's also a possibility that Stidham has come around.

If we go with a draft pick then we'll probably be stuck with Cam for another year or more and I don't think he has the ability to reach good. I also personally don't like him and never have. I think he's mostly a smooth talking bullsh!tter.

Whatever this means as far as Cam, if anything, Bourne sounds like a motivated dude. Like him already.
Talk is cheap. I'll like him and Cam, the best talker of them all, when they make plays and win games.

Bourne: "I'm just excited to play with him. I told him, 'Bro, I've been watching you since I was a young guy, man. It's an honor to play with you, pick your brain, and get out there with you, help you get better. I know you're going to help me get better.' "

Can't discount this reverence that MANY NFL players hold for Cam Newton. It's not faked. Injuries have taken Newton off the front pages in recent years, but go back just a few years and the guy was a football god to many. Which makes Bill re-signing him BEFORE FA important.

Cam started off pretty well last year, got taken off the field with COVID, had a few weeks of interrupted practice, and fell off the face of the earth. If this year's Cam looks like Cam from last year (other than the last game), he won't last long behind center. But I don't know that that's the Cam we get this year. Could be a pleasant surprise.

I love how sure some people are that going into the Patriots system with no offseason, catching covid, an injury(?), and high school level receiving corps couldn't possibly explain Newton's struggles. I'm not even saying he played well last season after his return. But to act like there is no hope for improvement is.. interesting.
We're all hoping that he improves. After how he played last year what Pats fan wouldn't be hoping for that? But that doesn't mean that we're all confident or willing to keep making excuses for him.

We're all hoping that he improves. After how he played last year what Pats fan wouldn't be hoping for that? But that doesn't mean that we're all confident or willing to keep making excuses for him.
I'll rephrase: there are plenty of reasons to have an expectation for improvement.

We've got the best scouts in football on this forum
What we have are some of the best fans, even if they don't all agree on what's best for the team. In the end, we're the ones paying the salaries of the coaches, players and the scouts.

I'll rephrase: there are plenty of reasons to have an expectation for improvement.
I'll believe it when I see it. It's actually possible that our opponents have learned how to exploit Cam's weaknesses and even an easier schedule and a year under the system might not equate to more wins.
I also think we may have different expectations of what improvement means. A record of 9-7 would be an improvement but not satisfactory to some of us.

Why on EARTH do posters still mention this "passing" BS ? No passing. None. Zero.

6 OL, all blocking for TE / WR ! Cam and friends RUN !

Why on EARTH do posters still mention this "passing" BS ? No passing. None. Zero.

6 OL, all blocking for TE / WR ! Cam and friends RUN !
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you promoting the running game or conceding that Cam can't pass? I've always favored a running game but the Polianization of the passing rules for PEDton has made that a less successful option.

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not sure what you're saying. Are you promoting the running game or conceding that Cam can't pass? I've always favored a running game but the Polianization of the passing rules for PEDton has made that a less successful option.
BOTH !

I'm a fan (2018 season turned once NE relied more on the running game) and I don't think Cam will magically light it up passing this season.

He had less than 175 yards passing in 10/15 games.

Cam has holes but he isn't a bum either. He is better than Suckbisky, Mariota, the shell of Alex Smith, and any other QB was that reasonably available during FA.

Getting Russ or Watson, before rubbed gate, was never attainable.

Cam isn't elite, but he can be serviceable, and with the right weapons, which I think Bill got him, can do good. The draft is where a franchise QB will have to be found

This will come down to his health. If he was really injured last year (ditto covid) then that explains much.

The whole franchise QB thing works if the opponent doesn't have an elite secondary.

BOTH !

I'm a fan (2018 season turned once NE relied more on the running game) and I don't think Cam will magically light it up passing this season.
A little of both would be great.

When I watch power type runners I find myself leaning over and pushing for more yards with them when they're in the pack. :)

I also get a charge out of the make 'em miss runner types. Fournette put on a great spin move in the SB that was great. He's no Gale Sayers though.

He had less than 175 yards passing in 10/15 games.
Ok.. With all of the aforementioned issues alleviated I think we can expect that to change pretty drastically.

Bourne: "I'm just excited to play with him. I told him, 'Bro, I've been watching you since I was a young guy, man. It's an honor to play with you, pick your brain, and get out there with you, help you get better. I know you're going to help me get better.' "

Can't discount this reverence that MANY NFL players hold for Cam Newton. It's not faked. Injuries have taken Newton off the front pages in recent years, but go back just a few years and the guy was a football god to many. Which makes Bill re-signing him BEFORE FA important.

Cam started off pretty well last year, got taken off the field with COVID, had a few weeks of interrupted practice, and fell off the face of the earth. If this year's Cam looks like Cam from last year (other than the last game), he won't last long behind center. But I don't know that that's the Cam we get this year. Could be a pleasant surprise.
It says more about the MANY NFL players than about the achievements of Cam Newton (75-63-1 regular season record, 85.5 QBR, 3-4 playoff record, 87.7 QBR) if he is revered. He isn't in the same universe as Tom Brady.

Bourne working on his merit badge along with Sanu

if you Play wide receiver in the nfl, and your resume consists of being a Boy Scout leader who can’t run faster than a 4.6, the patriots will sign you immediately

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back