PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Boston has lost its charm"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boston had charm to lose?

**** Deford, the guy sucks. He and Bryant Gumbel's unholy alliance has spawned just about the most unwatchable sports show in history, and, while I know he's been published in virtually every medium, he's now at the point where he sounds like a senile, incoherent old man in all of them.

Last edited:
This doofus has written other brainless articles concerning the Pats or other Boston teams. Some have been discussed on this board as I recall. If I cared more I'd do a little research, but...well I don't care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Boston was never charming. I've heard (ignorant) people come on these boards and accuse us Mass-Holes from everything from being rude and provincial to out-and-out racists.

Since when are we perceived as charming? And when did we lose that charm? You want charming? Drive up 95 on a Monday morning to see how charming us Massachusetts residents can be.

f*** yeah, that's what i'm talkin about, i'll run your as$s off the road if your not going 85 in the left lane.

Last edited:
Ever heard Deford on the radio? He sounds like the old geezer on the Empire Carpet add.

I gotcha fukin chahm right heyah, Francis!

so the actual Washington Redskins were 'ours' Boston Redskins before Patriots were founded from Mr Billy Sullivan ?

Remember the Boston Breakers? What, one season before they moved to New Orleans?

Btw I want to thank all you guys who find these articles and post them here. I've loving the jealous hatred coming our way. Hope you guys are too!! Few if any sports fans see this kind of success from their sports teams. Enjoy this ride of a lifetime we're on as New England sports fans and embrace the hate.
It's ALL good!! :D

You bring up a great point that got me thinking Rhody! Despite the fact that so many of these articles piss me off, I think I'm actually enjoying getting pissed off. Why else would I constantly jump to these articles I know are going to criticize the Patriots, New England or our fans?

I often write the authors of such articles and tell them they are full of sh** in hopes they'll change their ways. But you uncovered the sudden realization that in truth, I don't want these people to stop!

I think I'm addicted to getting an ATTITUDE! I must be a REAL Patriots fan!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is this guy Deford retahdit or what? How can this chump whose prolly nevah been to the 'Ol Gahdin to watch the Bruins or the Celts evah say such crap...huh, what? We have no CHAHM? OK, yah right Deford Copella or whatevah...and your mothah prolly gave birdth to you whilst she wuz sippn a brew on Comm Ave and listenin' to ken coleman talkn' bout the weathah on a wahm breezy day at Fenway wishn' she could just flush you down tha toilet...but whose to say, I'm just a guy from Boston:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Deford is one of the preeminent writers of his time. While I disagree with the "charm" phraseology, there is much truth to the piece. Like it or not, we were once the tormented "lovable losers". I think the author is simply pointing out the paradigm shift for New England area sports fans.

You don't have to be insulted that someone says we aren't what we used to be. It's true. And, quite frankly, I'm loving every second of it. I mean, if the rest of you want to go back to the pre-Kraft, pre-Henry, pre-Wyc days, then just move to Cleveland where you can enjoy teams that repeatedly kick their fans in the teeth.

I love Boston, I've been there a few times. Stayed at the Beacon st guest house and walked to Fenway to watch my mighty Blue Jays destroy the lowly Red Sox.

The first time we ever went down my Mom was driving, and if you think men never ask for directions, you've never met my mom. We drove around for 2 hours looking for Boylston st until finally I told her to pull over and I asked a cab driver to drive me there while my mom followed his car.

Anyway, my impression of Boston was: Hot women, nice subway, (oh my God, public transit that doesn't suck!) I loved the trollies that were going around all the time giving tours, and checkin out the Prudential Center. Also took the tour of Fenway and touched the Green Monster.

Boston is an awesome town, and as soon as I hit the lottery I'll be there often. ;)

I love Boston, I've been there a few times. Stayed at the Beacon st guest house and walked to Fenway to watch my mighty Blue Jays destroy the lowly Red Sox.

That must have been a long time ago. ;)

so the actual Washington Redskins were 'ours' Boston Redskins before Patriots were founded from Mr Billy Sullivan ?

I can't remember who those stupid Breakers were, but I believe the pro football teams we've had here were the Boston Bulldogs(2 versions),Boston Shamrocks, Boston Yanks(who are now the Colts), and the Redskins. They won their division during their final year, but the team was moved to Washington for the championship game. That's up there with Fairbanks & the Tuna in treachery.

Deford is the most overrated writer in the country, and has been for some time.

There are certainly charming parts of Boston: the Back Bay and Beacon Hill, Newbury Street, the North End, historic places....and I am pretty certain they still exist.

If you are looking to a sports team to give a city "charm", then you are warped to begin with.

You bring up a great point that got me thinking Rhody! Despite the fact that so many of these articles piss me off, I think I'm actually enjoying getting pissed off. Why else would I constantly jump to these articles I know are going to criticize the Patriots, New England or our fans?

I often write the authors of such articles and tell them they are full of sh** in hopes they'll change their ways. But you uncovered the sudden realization that in truth, I don't want these people to stop!

I think I'm addicted to getting an ATTITUDE! I must be a REAL Patriots fan!:rolleyes:

Didn't I tell you two weeks ago to sit back and EMBRACE this? We'll never be this lucky to experience this again.

These are the BEST of times!

Deford is one of the preeminent writers of his time. While I disagree with the "charm" phraseology, there is much truth to the piece. Like it or not, we were once the tormented "lovable losers". I think the author is simply pointing out the paradigm shift for New England area sports fans.

The paradigm hasn't shifted for us. It's shifted for THEM.

I know I didn't enjoy watching our "lovable losers". Perhaps someone from Baltimore thought it was "cute" when the Fridge plowed in for a TD to make it 46-10 in the '86 SB. Maybe Mr. Deford thought it was "sweetly poignant" when the ball skipped under Buckner's glove. I'm sure Nebraskans thought it was "charmingly sad" when Larry Bird couldn't lift his bad back off the floor in the '88 playoffs.

.......but I didn't.

Deford is condescending. We've gotten "too uppity" for him. He's upset that HIS paradigm has to change.

I have advice for you, Mr. Deford: Deal with it.

What a dope.
HIs whole article can be boiled down to two sentences.

It's too bad that Boston is no longer a town of loveable losers.
Now they are just winning every championship in sight, no fair!!!

I can't remember who those stupid Breakers were, but I believe the pro football teams we've had here were the Boston Bulldogs(2 versions),Boston Shamrocks, Boston Yanks(who are now the Colts), and the Redskins. They won their division during their final year, but the team was moved to Washington for the championship game. That's up there with Fairbanks & the Tuna in treachery.

The Boston Breakers were Boston's USFL entry in the late 1980s, the league Flutie played in. My brother-in-law played ORT for the Bills and the Breakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down