PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

"Boston has lost its charm"

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks; honestly i did not knew they were the 'same' Redskins; i thought that the WSH Redskins had nothing to do with the Boston Redskins

today i learned something
Well, if that one doesn't confuse, there was also the Boston Yanks football team in the NFL from 1944-1948. This was the NFL East in 1947:

Eastern Division

Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburgh Steelers
Boston Yanks
Washington Redskins
New York Giants

The NFL West:

Chicago Cardinals
Chicago Bears
Green Bay Packers
Los Angeles Rams
Detroit Lions

That was it.

The paradigm hasn't shifted for us. It's shifted for THEM.

I know I didn't enjoy watching our "lovable losers". Perhaps someone from Baltimore thought it was "cute" when the Fridge plowed in for a TD to make it 46-10 in the '86 SB. Maybe Mr. Deford thought it was "sweetly poignant" when the ball skipped under Buckner's glove. I'm sure Nebraskans thought it was "charmingly sad" when Larry Bird couldn't lift his bad back off the floor in the '88 playoffs.

.......but I didn't.

Deford is condescending. We've gotten "too uppity" for him. He's upset that HIS paradigm has to change.

I have advice for you, Mr. Deford: Deal with it.

:ditto:

Except my advice to Deford would be: STFU and go away.

By the way, Frankie-boy, whatever happened to The National? Were you more loveable..or charming.... back when your ill-advised, flea-ridden and moth eaten venture crashed and burned? :rocker:

Didn't I tell you two weeks ago to sit back and EMBRACE this? We'll never be this lucky to experience this again.

These are the BEST of times!

Yeh, but I didn't feel like listening to you!:eek: But now, I admit you were right shmessy....did I just say that?:rolleyes: I MUST be losing it!

The Boston Breakers were Boston's USFL entry in the late 1980s, the league Flutie played in. My brother-in-law played ORT for the Bills and the Breakers.

Sorry for calling them stupid. I thought they were a soccer team.

wow...i could see the connection he was making when reading the title...but what a ****ty article...oh yeah IMO that is...

Deford is the most overrated writer in the country, and has been for some time.

There are certainly charming parts of Boston: the Back Bay and Beacon Hill, Newbury Street, the North End, historic places....and I am pretty certain they still exist.

If you are looking to a sports team to give a city "charm", then you are warped to begin with.

Parts of the city have certainly lost their charm. Newbury Street for example.

The Pour House was once a biker bar, and then it went Yuppie with neon. There used to be a Mexican restaurant on Newbury that served huge pitchers of margaritas, and I spent many a Spring/Summer afternoon there taking in the sun. Well, it's now a Tapas place that refused to seat me because I was wearing jeans. Whenever I'm in Boston now, I avoid the Back Bay at all costs. I head over the river to Cambridge, sometimes hang out in Allston. People still keep it real in those places.

the sox were never the lovable losers. that is the cubs. the sox were the "curse of the bambino" and always had to hear it from the ny lovin' media. sorry, i don't recall anyone calling boston "charming". what they need to be calling us now is winners and champs and that's all i care about.

Being lovable Losers is highly overrated. Where this guy has a point is that instead of causing your typical NElander to mellow out and be less of a rude, paranoid, depressive; it seems to have had the opposite effect and turned Boston into a little NY. Ah well, it must be the weather.

And that guy was right, the Russell era Celtics never sold out. Boston was a Baseball/Hockey town.

The paradigm hasn't shifted for us. It's shifted for THEM.

I know I didn't enjoy watching our "lovable losers". Perhaps someone from Baltimore thought it was "cute" when the Fridge plowed in for a TD to make it 46-10 in the '86 SB. Maybe Mr. Deford thought it was "sweetly poignant" when the ball skipped under Buckner's glove. I'm sure Nebraskans thought it was "charmingly sad" when Larry Bird couldn't lift his bad back off the floor in the '88 playoffs.

.......but I didn't.

Deford is condescending. We've gotten "too uppity" for him. He's upset that HIS paradigm has to change.

I have advice for you, Mr. Deford: Deal with it.
You're missing the point. Those "lovable losers", to the media and outsiders, were the fans moreso than the players; the heartache we felt is what Deford is referring to. The players are in an entirely different 'sphere.

You guys are really searching for any and all possible slights, real or perceived, huh? I think this all stems from people not knowing how to be comfortable with winning -- dominating, in this case. Everyone gave us that proverbial "pat on the head" when our teams were stinking up the sports scene. I don't think we were necessarily wanting everyone's approval for all those years. In fact, I'm fairly certain we weren't, but we sure did get used to it. And now? It seems people are having a hard time dealing with that being gone.

Again, I think people should be thrilled about this. Those old memories of being a sports fan here have been stomped into the ground. We should focus more on the winning than the fact that people don't like consistent winners.

The Pats are the ones that got this whole thing started. For that, I'll be ever grateful.

Funny to watch Flutie turn around and watch Ozzy as he runs out onto the field.

Deford is one of the preeminent writers of his time. Like it or not, we were once the tormented "lovable losers". I think the author is simply pointing out the paradigm shift for New England area sports fans.

You don't have to be insulted that someone says we aren't what we used to be. It's true. And, quite frankly, I'm loving every second of it. I mean, if the rest of you want to go back to the pre-Kraft, pre-Henry, pre-Wyc days, then just move to Cleveland where you can enjoy teams that repeatedly kick their fans in the teeth.

Who said anything about going back? Move to Cleveland? What are you talking about?

Speak for yourself about being "tormented." " Maybe others thought, "Oh those Red Sox and Patriots fans - they lose ever year and still root for their team. Isn't that cute."
But I wanted a winner every year and still do.

You can call Deford the "preeminent writers of his time" but he never did anything for me. Ever hear his pointless essays on public radio? He gets a pass because he appears to be "writer' in a sports world. But to be clear, I also think Leigh Montville is a joke. Sports journalism is about finding filler. Take a thought that should be a paragraph (or less) and stretch it into a column without adding anything of substance.

The honest title should have been "We liked Boston and Boston fans when they was losing." I'm ok with that and understand it. Just remember Frank, it was your perception and only that.

Speak for yourself about being "tormented." " Maybe others thought, "Oh those Red Sox and Patriots fans - they lose ever year and still root for their team. Isn't that cute."
But I wanted a winner every year and still do.

Did you even read what I wrote? It sure seems like you're just another one in the endless stream of posters looking any possible way to misinterpret what someone says in order to feel slighted.

You go through the histrionics of feeling offended and then end up agreeing with me. Riiight.

Charm? We don' need no steenkin' charm!

Ahriman,

I don't feel slighted.

You said, "Deford is one of the preeminent writers of his time. Like it or not, we were once the tormented "lovable losers." "

Disagree with both those.

You're fine to like Deford and to have been a tormented lovable loser. I don't think most fans would characterize themselves that way. As Shmessy commented, the paradigm has shifted for the Defords of the media and other outsiders.

If the Cubs ever win a World Series, Deford will write another puff piece about how it was all better when the Cubs were losing. He'll ponder, "Didn't we like Chicago more then?" It's probably already written with keen references to "The Goat", "The Fire", "Mayor Daly" and "Al Capone." Shoot, didn't hot dogs taste better on Clark Street?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes