PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boomer Esiason Down On 2020 Patriots, Believes Cam Newton Is Bad Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
He said Stiddy would start, doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about.

Also did I miss this big injury that took Stiddy out of competition. Cam was the QB1 the moment he signed. I know he missed some time but Injury or we had nothing to do with it.

“The bottom line is (Jarrett) Stidham got hurt, Cam got in there and they are paying him no money whatsoever,” Esiason said

Pats Twitter has been this stupid all off-season as well. No one is saying we're better off with Cam but the fit is obvious.

He IS a bad fit for the 2019 Patriots. The question is, can Bill and McD pivot to a new paradigm that will allow Newton to thrive in a new look offense. personally I can't think of a duo in the NFL I'd trust more to get that done.

Let's not forget that McD did some miracles with Tebow back in the day who is a pretty similar QB to what this reduced-arm-strength Cam is gonna look like.

Probably gonna see some run and gun and a lot more play action passes than we've seen in this town since Grogan was young. We're going to use the pass to set up the run at times and I think soe people are going to be surprised what Michel finishes the year with in terms of numbers

Basically I expect an offense similar to what McD got out of Tebow or what they've been running in the last few years with Russell Wilson. It'll be interesting how the normally conservative Belichick handles an offense that is forced to play more open.

He said Stiddy would start, doesn't seem like he knows what he's talking about.

Also did I miss this big injury that took Stiddy out of competition. Cam was the QB1 the moment he signed. I know he missed some time but Injury or we had nothing to do with it.

“The bottom line is (Jarrett) Stidham got hurt, Cam got in there and they are paying him no money whatsoever,” Esiason said

Pats Twitter has been this stupid all off-season as well. No one is saying we're better off with Cam but the fit is obvious.
He got hurt for like a week but it wasn't so bad as to take him out of the competition entirely, seems like a stupid take. They seemed to be having a pretty legitimate shared rotation for maybe one week at the beginning and then it was all Cam.

I notice a lot of these "bad fit" takes boil down to saying Cam won't be as good at what Brady did in this offense as Brady was. Well yeah duh... but the NE offense has always been about molding itself to highlight its parts and Cam will most certainly do things in this offense Brady never did at all. Apples to oranges to an extent.

He is certainly entitled to his opinion and he does know football. However I think this is as unpredictable as it gets. I think the problem is not with Cam, but with the WR' and TE group that has been assembled to support him. Its an extremely inexperienced and unproven supporting cast that make "first year Cam" a risky bet.

He is certainly entitled to his opinion and he does know football. However I think this is as unpredictable as it gets. I think the problem is not with Cam, but with the WR' and TE group that has been assembled to support him. Its an extremely inexperienced and unproven supporting cast that make "first year Cam" a risky bet.
It is but isn't that why we're focused on being a physical, bully of a team. As opposed to asking Stid to work with that very group?

I'm not saying either will work. It just seems when comparing styles, what we have to work with from a personnel standpoint. That Cam/Strong OL, running game might give us the best chance. Again I'm just saying that's something I could buy.

He got hurt for like a week but it wasn't so bad as to take him out of the competition entirely, seems like a stupid take. They seemed to be having a pretty legitimate shared rotation for maybe one week at the beginning and then it was all Cam.

I notice a lot of these "bad fit" takes boil down to saying Cam won't be as good at what Brady did in this offense as Brady was. Well yeah duh... but the NE offense has always been about molding itself to highlight its parts and Cam will most certainly do things in this offense Brady never did at all. Apples to oranges to an extent.

Questionable OTs may lead to Cam being unable to get to the outside on runs, and limited time to throw from the pocket.
Questionable WRs may limit Cam's ability to push the ball down the field. In worst case, he may not even be able to rely on the short game.
Questionable TEs may get Cam killed, may lead to a weakened run game/or, and may mean there's not a reliable big outlet receiver.
A defense that may be able to be run on may mean that opposing teams can force this team to pass, and put Cam into "must throw" situations.

Not that such a situation is a good fit for any QB, and we saw it frustrating the hell out of Brady last year, but it's a bit worse for a QB who's not overly accurate, is not particularly fast, and is fragile.

On the other hand, "Questionable" is not yet proven to be "inadequate", and "may" is not yet "will".

No one is saying we're better off with Cam but the fit is obvious.
is the fit obvious?

Bill has inserted a run first/ career 60% passer to run a passing attack that has thrived from quick read/ high efficiency/ low risk passes within the confines of a highly choreographed system.

Maybe Bill can teach an old dog new tricks
Or
Maybe Bill has simply decided to toss away his blueprint for success and let Cam free wheel for as long as the QB’s body holds up to the inevitable pounding this style of QB subjects himself to.

From my lofty vantage point, the only fit I see is the one year/ low budget contract that secured NE a stop-gap starter during a cap crunched season

Last edited:
is the fit obvious?

Bill has inserted a run first/ career 60% passer to run a passing attack that has thrived from quick read/ high efficiency/ low risk passes within the confines of a highly choreographed system.

Maybe Bill can teach an old dog new tricks
Or
Maybe Bill has simply decided to toss away his blueprint for success and let Cam free wheel for as long as the QB’s body holds up to the inevitable pounding this style of QB subjects himself to.

From my lofty vantage point, the only fit I see is the one year/ low budget contract that secured NE a stop-gap starter during a cap crunched season
Cam came from a system is Carolina that ran versions of the EP. Bill definitely isn't tossing away his blueprint, just adapting. And yes Newton's price & circumstance had a lot to do with why he here's but the fit is obvious imo. Esp when you look at the roster and it's strengths/weaknesses.

Colin Cowturd writes that the Pats are a 5-11 team and BB is tanking the season on purpose. Lots of media guys with axes to grind from the past 20 years are now bundling wood around the stake they intend to set on fire this season.

Colin Cowturd writes that the Pats are a 5-11 team and BB is tanking the season on purpose. Lots of media guys with axes to grind from the past 20 years are now bundling wood around the stake they intend to set on fire this season.
While you are surely right re most media, I’m pretty sure CC has been a Brady & NE supporter for most of the last two decades.

Back to the original question : we are getting very close to game 1. We’ll see what tricks BB has in store for opponents. I will be rooting for Cam to succeed and shove it in the League’s face. But, I could see NE struggling in 2020 and I’m not convinced Newton is going to be the answer (unless the question is « which AFCE qb is going down with injury first ? »).

Newton is known acting up if things go south. Were still in the honeymoon phase right now and all you see and hear from Cam is love for BB and the Patriots. Lose a few game in succession due to mistake prone QB play and Boston fans will turn on you like a snake. BB starts looking at other options for QB at practice. I will not be shocked to see Stidham starting at some point this season.

The QB that has to follow Tom Brady is almost in a no win situation.

And I'll enjoy a couple frosties standing by that bonfire. Toasting the Patriots. Belichick wil be there,too but drinking orange juice.
Joker, we've both been privileged to be Boston/ New England Patriots fans for a loong frackin' time. We're old mfers.
But no other fanbase has had a ride like ours.
After the last 20 years, its all gravy. But in the awesome history of this great football kingdom, theres never been a year like this.
At first, it sucked when Tom was gone. Now, I'm really freakin curious about what this team can accomplish. Sure as hell aint gonna be 5-11. Might just surprise the **** outta some these clowns.

Newton is known acting up if things go south. Were still in the honeymoon phase right now and all you see and hear from Cam is love for BB and the Patriots. Lose a few game in succession due to mistake prone QB play and Boston fans will turn on you like a snake. BB starts looking at other options for QB at practice. I will not be shocked to see Stidham starting at some point this season.

The QB that has to follow Tom Brady is almost in a no win situation.

I don’t ever remember Cam cussing out coaches and teammates on the sidelines when “things went South”. Would that be OK?

I’m also down on the Pats roster for the most part but I’m not prepared to say Cam will fail here. Let’s at least watch a game first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes