PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Boomer Esiason Down On 2020 Patriots, Believes Cam Newton Is Bad Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read the article. Near all, maybe all, of his comments were reasonable and sensible, especially without a second of game tape to reflect on.

As someone else mentioned, Boomer predicted Stidham would win the starting job over Cam Newton weeks ago. I guess he is still digging that hole with this new take.

Boomer said “if he turns the ball over, then we could see a change at QB”. Great stuff Boom. Man, sometimes these analysts just go and prove they are no better than some joe sitting next to you at the bar.

Speaking of, watch the video in the middle part of this link (not the Lombardi one) for some truly awful takes from national media. This reminds me why I rarely watch or listen to ESPN talk shows. They still love pushing this hot take garbage. At least Jeff Saturday sort of calls them on their BS.
Why NFL Insider Wonders If Patriots Are 'Trying To Hide Something' With Cam Newton - NESN.com

Last edited:
Speaking of, watch the video in this link for some truly awful takes from national media. This reminds me why I rarely watch or listen to ESPN talk shows. They still love pushing this hot take garbage. At least Jeff Saturday sort of calls them on their BS.
Why NFL Insider Wonders If Patriots Are 'Trying To Hide Something' With Cam Newton - NESN.com

What was it exactly that Lombardi said that you disagree with ? He seemed pretty upbeat about Newton through the questions.

He has not been a run first QB for some time, certainly since 2018 when Norv Turner came on board.

That was definitely my impression as well - glad to see stats supporting it. Just not sure where the run first stuff is coming from - people making it up, or folks who know their stuff.

You mean Boomer?

Or do you mean the guys from the link I posted?

The link you posted had a video of Mike Lombardi talking Bill/Patriots where he was positive on Cam.

I guess you must be talking about a different video.

That was definitely my impression as well - glad to see stats supporting it. Just not sure where the run first stuff is coming from - people making it up, or folks who know their stuff.

Because people here rarely watch Panthers games and 5-6 games early in his career were enough so they could label him as a "run first" QB for the rest of his career.

Good stat - am I right in figuring this means Cam isn't a "run first QB" as is assumed by some here?

He never has been. But this stat really doesn’t address that. It shows where most of his actual passes were thrown from. And how it’s comparable to other QBs. This misconception is Cam throws most passes while scrambling or outside the pocket. And any Panthers fan would tell you is wrong because it was a huge complaint his whole time there.

The link you posted had a video of Mike Lombardi talking Bill/Patriots where he was positive on Cam.

oh I see, scroll down a bit and there’s another video with DanGraziano and Greg McElroy spouting nonsense. I edited the other post to clarify.

oh I see, scroll down a bit and there’s another video with DanGraziano and Greg McElroy spouting nonsense.

Gotcha. Yeah, will skip that nonsense. There is zero value in listening to any hot takes 5 days before we can see for ourselves.

Gotcha. Yeah, will skip that nonsense. There is zero value in listening to any hot takes 5 days before we can see for ourselves.

Exactly, and I get these guys are booked on shows to draw attention and generate headlines and clicks. ESPN has been running this model for years.

Because people here rarely watch Panthers games and 5-6 games early in his career were enough so they could label him as a "run first" QB for the rest of his career.

Funny enough, in his first game Cam actually broke Peyton Manning’s record for most yards thrown in an NFL debut with 422 yards. And he still holds the record for most yards thrown in the first two games of an NFL career. All that to say, Cam has really never been a run-first QB as many may have perceived.

Boomer is ALWAYS positive about the pats whenever he is on the WEEI morning shows. They could lose 2 games in a row by 50 and he would still say they are a great team and are contenders. Maybe instead of calling it a hot take listen to him because when he starts being negative there is probably a good reason.

I think Newtons best days are behind him but at the same time the pats have set him up to fail because beside Edelman who every single team should be double teaming, the receives and tight ends are a joke.

It is mind blowing BB is rolling with no tight ends and the same group of receives that could no get separation, run the right routes or catch the ball and expects any QB to have success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back