PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bold Prediction: Super Bowl Rematch

I'm thinking it comes down to Saints, Eagles.

Some other teams that could make a surprising (to me) run: Falcons, Cowboys if they survive the suspension, Seahawks if they get their defense together

So they are 2 games back and have 2 games vs the Saints and one vs Minn and Carolina. Thats a rough schedule.

I still like them for a wild card but probably gonna be tough to win the division.

I do agree they will be tough out as a wild card. Would kind of suck to get the defending conference champs as your wild card match up.
Sweep the Saints and they are ahead of them.

I'm thinking it comes down to Saints, Eagles.

Some other teams that could make a surprising (to me) run: Falcons, Cowboys if they survive the suspension, Seahawks if they get their defense together
Falcons, IMO, are a better team than the Saints, and will have the opportunity to prove it.

There will be a rematch alright - Pats-Eagles
I would bet an awful lot of money if you gave me the NFC field vs the Eagles. I would sleep well after making that bet too.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
Falcons are ****. I would love for this to be the year where NE wins the SB in blowout fashion, but the Falcons aren't sniffing a SB berth. It will be Philly or New Orleans. NE will beat either one, but it should be more competitive than it would be against Atlanta.
Atlanta is pretty much the same team as last year. Hard to imagine a more competitive game than last years SB

Honestly, I would root against a rematch if they get from here to the NFCCG because they will be on a huge roll.

I'd be rooting hard against a rematch but for much more juvenile reasons.....

1.) I think it's cool that the Brady has won five Super Bowls against five different teams. I'd prefer we face a team we haven't already defeated in the Super Bowl.

2.) The 2016 game was sooooo magical that I wouldn't want a rematch that would have the ability to not taint (too strong of a word) but somehow lessen (even if extremely minimally) our win in 2016. Think about it, if we play the Falcons and somehow lose, when we watch our Three games to Glory V we'll still cherish the memory but still have in the back of our heads (these guys got the better of us the next year). The 2016 season was so perfect I'd prefer the books to already be closed. Even if we beat them again, I feel like it's a 'been there, done that', I'd prefer to beat another team. Sure, beggars can't be choosers, but since we're talking preference....there it is.

Last edited:
Atlanta is pretty much the same team as last year. Hard to imagine a more competitive game than last years SB

Atlanta took NE by surprise by using more man coverage than anticipated. That was the reason for their 28-3 lead. We saw what happened once NE figured them out in the 2nd half, and in this year's game.

NE would win by 20-30 points in a SB rematch.

I don’t see anyone beating philly at the Linc. Most NFC contenders are warm weather and/or dome teams. A team like NO or Atlanta has to have HFA to get to the super bowl.

Right, I think there was a stat that no indoor team has ever won a Super Bowl if it had to play ANY playoff game outdoors........until Peyton and the Colts won in 2006. They defeated Baltimore on the road and Chicago in a rainy Super Bowl.

So your point still stands and I agree with it. Even though the Colts overcame the odds, they are the outlier.

Sweep the Saints and they are ahead of them.
Split with the saints and they are still 2 back with those other games to consider.

Sweep the Saints and lose one of those 2 and they are still behind.

Win all 4 then you're probably right.

I still see them as a legitimate threat in the NFC but it's looking like it will probably be as a wild card.

Can you imagine a Saints-Falcons NFCCG? Sox-Yanks on roids.

Reactions: ALP
Let me see how they do against the Saints first. The Saints have a defense and they can run the ball this year. Those are two ingredients for being able to go out of the dome, into the elements, and win.

I’d say the Atlanta defense is better than last years with trufant and another years experience with their youngsters. That offense is definitely less explosive than last year even with the same players. OL hasn’t been as good, and sark has so far been a downgrade as OC from Shannahan. It seemed like last year we were seeing explosive plays from guys like freeman Coleman and Gabriel. To this point it hasn’t happened this year

Atlanta took NE by surprise by using more man coverage than anticipated. That was the reason for their 28-3 lead. We saw what happened once NE figured them out in the 2nd half, and in this year's game.

NE would win by 20-30 points in a SB rematch.
The Patriots got behind 28-3 because they didn't know what to do when a team played man coverage. Oh brother.
Lets just agree to disagree, probably on everything football related.

The Patriots got behind 28-3 because they didn't know what to do when a team played man coverage. Oh brother.
Lets just agree to disagree, probably on everything football related.

Who do we trust? Some random guy online, or literally every single member of the NE organization who said they were taken by surprise when ATL decided to play more man coverage and that it took them a while to adjust?

Seems like an easy one.

Split with the saints and they are still 2 back with those other games to consider.

Sweep the Saints and lose one of those 2 and they are still behind.

Win all 4 then you're probably right.

I still see them as a legitimate threat in the NFC but it's looking like it will probably be as a wild card.
You are assuming the Saints run the table. They can lose other games too. Sweep and they are tied with the tie breaker, pending 4 ther games.
Saints also play Carolina and AT the Rams, so the schedules are very equal.

Well, DAL's defense didn't show up but Dax and Zeke came to play.
Not early though - dug a hole, and though they came back, GB stayed in striking distance.

I’d say the Atlanta defense is better than last years with trufant and another years experience with their youngsters. That offense is definitely less explosive than last year even with the same players. OL hasn’t been as good, and sark has so far been a downgrade as OC from Shannahan. It seemed like last year we were seeing explosive plays from guys like freeman Coleman and Gabriel. To this point it hasn’t happened this year
Agree with that. I'm saying the potential is there for the offense and if they put it together they become the best team in the NFC, even if they have been medicore so far.

The Falcons are a very talented team. It would not surprise me if it comes down to them and the Eagles in the NFC Championship game in January. They are an indoor team though and not sure how they would do in the cold weather if they had to play in Philly or Minnesota. There are not that many teams that I am impressed with in the NFC though....I'm not sold on the Rams and I think the Saints can be beat. I think overall, there are a lot of average teams.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back