PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bold Prediction: Super Bowl Rematch

Yeah but I want to beat all the NFC birds.... so we need Arizona to get hot and win out.
But then Arians wouldn't have anybody to "throw under the bus".........He is very good at it....

There is really nothing bold about predicting the Patriots to go to the SB at this point. I'd imagine most would put that at 50/50 odds.

But, the Falcons look like a team looming and ready to put it together. Talented teams that underperform early in the season then get it together in November and December are dangerous.
Atlanta's defense is a big step better than it was last year. The offense hasn't really put it together yet, but all the pieces are there and they seem to be figuring it out. When you get to the playoffs, playing like a good offense THEN is much more important that what you played like over the course of an entire season. This offense has clearly been limited by transition and coaching, not talent, and adjusting to a new OC can take time.

They are 2 games behind the Saints and have 2 left with them, and I see a good chance they can sweep them.
They will also face Minnesota and Carolina. They will get battle tested over the next 6 weeks with little room for error and if they come through that they will be playoff ready.

The negative is that they were an 11-5 2 seed last year and the 1 was a fraud.
Getting to the 2 seed may be tough, even if they run the table and at 11-5 again, it seems unlikely.

Honestly, I would root against a rematch if they get from here to the NFCCG because they will be on a huge roll.
My money is on one last ride for Drew Brees. The Saints have the quarterback and coach to get the job done. The Falcons aren't likely to make the playoffs unless they run the table and I can't see that happening. Otherwise, I don't see the depleted Seahawks, inconsistent Panthers, or fluke L.A. Rams doing any real damage. That leaves the Saints and Eagles. With the Eagles, I'm not sure they are ready to make the leap to postseason contender. My money's on the Saints.

In our conference, the Steelers are an even bigger threat than the Saints or Eagles. Otherwise, it could be an unknown threat (Jaguars, Titans) with an elite defense that gives us trouble.

My money is on one last ride for Drew Brees. The Saints have the quarterback and coach to get the job done. The Falcons aren't likely to make the playoffs unless they run the table and I can't see that happening. Otherwise, I don't see the depleted Seahawks, inconsistent Panthers, or fluke L.A. Rams doing any real damage. That leaves the Saints and Eagles. With the Eagles, I'm not sure they are ready to make the leap to postseason contender. My money's on the Saints.

In our conference, the Steelers are an even bigger threat than the Saints or Eagles. Otherwise, it could be an unknown threat (Jaguars, Titans) with an elite defense that gives us trouble.

I agree.

The Saints check a lot of the boxes that you would look for in a good team. QB, running game, good defense including a great rookie CB, good coaching. Brees and Payton are the strongest coach/QB duo in the NFC for a while now, they could never field a good defense until now.

Philly is intriguing and they have a great DL. I think their LBs and secondary can be had. Wentz spreads the ball around a lot with the big play. Make him dink and dunk to beat you.

Not a bad analysis. But why is Pitt a greater threat to the Patriots than the Saints are to the Eagles. Seems to me both scenarios look pretty similar.

Many are frowning on Philly but I like their chances best in the NFC -- where they have the best PF and are very close to best PA. Owning these two stats have a fair amount of prediction value (of course there are 6 more games left to alter stats as well as stats trending the wrong way as the season wraps would raise a red flag).

I'm finding slightly odd the Jags get no mention at all. They may be running away in the PA category. But I do see concern that if their D doesn't play well their O doesn't seem potent enough to keep up. But we've seen best D's win through even with a middling O.

Vikes?

I forgot to list them and that says everything about my current opinion of them as a Super Bowl team. They beat a Saints team still figuring things out, lost badly to the Steelers (the best team they've played), beat the Packers without Rodgers for the majority, defeated the Ravens in a close one, smacked down the Rams, and won by a touchdown over the Lions. Against top competition like the Steelers early in the season, the Vikings struggled. Maybe the Ravens and Rams games point to the Vikings becoming a Super Bowl caliber team, as both of those teams have looked solid. However, I'd say the jury is still out on them being ready for the playoffs until they can test their mettle against the Falcons and Panthers the next two weeks. If they beat both of those squads in a convincing fashion, we'll know they are a legitimate contender. My guess is that the desperate Falcons curb stomp them.

I forgot to list them and that says everything about my current opinion of them as a Super Bowl team. They beat a Saints team still figuring things out, lost badly to the Steelers (the best team they've played), beat the Packers without Rodgers for the majority, defeated the Ravens in a close one, smacked down the Rams, and won by a touchdown over the Lions. Against top competition like the Steelers early in the season, the Vikings struggled. Maybe the Ravens and Rams games point to the Vikings becoming a Super Bowl caliber team, as both of those teams have looked solid. However, I'd say the jury is still out on them being ready for the playoffs until they can test their mettle against the Falcons and Panthers the next two weeks. If they beat both of those squads in a convincing fashion, we'll know they are a legitimate contender. My guess is that the desperate Falcons curb stomp them.
How do the saints get a pass for losing to the Vikings in week 1 because they were still figuring it out but the Vikings are fraud because they lost to the Steelers week 2 in Keenan’s first game when he barely got practice reps yet?

Also if you are saying teams still need to prove themselves because of who they beat the saints have beaten
Newton
Cutler
Stafford (allowing 38)
Hundley
Trubisky
Fitzpatrick
Taylor/peterman
Cousins

My money is on one last ride for Drew Brees. The Saints have the quarterback and coach to get the job done. The Falcons aren't likely to make the playoffs unless they run the table and I can't see that happening. .
The saints have had that coach and qb
for over a decade and got it done just once. The falcons coach and qb just got it done last year.
How does Atlanta have to run the table to make the playoffs?as of today they are in.

Falcons now just a game behind saints and play them in 2 weeks then again in 4.

Lost 14-9 to Minnesota. Not a good start. Elsewhere in their division, Saints beat the Panthers and have won 9 of their last 10. That makes Thursday night a must-win or you can stick a fork in them.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back