PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS BoB officially back

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
I don't know about this. Alabama fans seem incredibly happy at this news.

And why does anyone care? I was upset when he left and went on to do some successful things at other coaching stints. Do I just wipe all that out because some Alabama fans are stoked he’s leaving? BoB is a damn good coach. He’s gained even more experience over the years, and has no doubt added more wrinkles to his book. He has connections to the college ranks. He has the balls to speak his mind to anyone in that building. This is the kind of hire that makes Bills job easier, and the less extra things that man has to do, the better.
This is a positive first step. Now they need to fill the staff up with some more young, and talented guys to develop.

He is a very good coach. Alabama lost 4 games in 2 years with O Brien where offense scored 49 points, 38 points and then lost in OT where they scored 15 in the 4th to force OT. They lost to Georgia in championship in 2021 with only 18 but put up 41 on them previously. Georgia had maybe the greatest college defense of all time mind you. The offense was worse in 2019, arguably better in 2020 but Alabama did not win the championship with O Brian, so some message board fans like to blame the OC. Brady had 2 of his best years with him calling the plays. I would not put much stock in a few Alabama message board fans.
I didn't know all of this. Interesting. Has he won in any other college he coached at?

I wonder what they told Caley to apparently have him stay?
I imagine most of the assistants will stay - while bringing in a few extra positional guys.
I still hope they bring in a true OL coach, and while BOB has the QB coach title too, maybe a guy to groom there.
Wonder what they say to Judge?
Where'd you hear Caley is staying on?

He will be good for Mac, he was successful using two TE offense ( Gronk & Hernandez).

I believe he is using this to be a head coach again, if he turns this offense and Mac around that will be a good look for him for GM’s around the league.
I always find this line of thinking weird. He was successful with the greatest QB ever, the greatest (or top 3) TE ever and another TE who would have been a hall of famer if... I would have been successful with that set up.

It is a good hire because it is better than what we had and keeps Mac in the same system. That's it. Nothing he showed after leaving NE is anything special. He was the definition of average as an NFL HC with a 54-52 record.

I didn't know all of this. Interesting. Has he won in any other college he coached at?
BOB took over as HC at Penn State immediately after the Jerry Sandusky scandal, replacing Joe Paterno himself. Most folks thought that was going to be a train wreck but he turned them around in the very first year and had them competing with the big dogs despite most of his good players ditching to go to other schools due to the scandal. They finished 8-4 in his first year and he was named Big Ten Coach of the Year. They went 7-5 his second year, and then he went to the Texans the year after that.

Zo just said: this was probably talked about and done a while ago.
X Files GIF by The X-Files

BOB took over as HC at Penn State immediately after the Jerry Sandusky scandal, replacing Joe Paterno himself. Most folks thought that was going to be a train wreck but he turned them around in the very first year and had them competing with the big dogs despite most of his good players ditching to go to other schools due to the scandal. They finished 8-4 in his first year and he was named Big Ten Coach of the Year. They went 7-5 his second year, and then he went to the Texans the year after that.
This is a great point. Additionally they lost 40 scholarships and had a 4 year ban on all postseason play. Makes it near impossible to recruit.

BOB is the easiest transition to making this a truly productive offense. However, he may be the most likely of the candidates to bolt for another head coaching position.

Also, we’ve got three former head coaches on staff—Texas displacing Detroit at OC—and we all hope there’s no behind-the-scenes drama.

I fully expect Patricia to stay as OL coach and be given several other titles like what Adrian Klemm has at Oregon: run game coordinator and assistant head coach.

I agree with many on the necessity of Joe Judge going back to ST.

A big question going into next season will be Nick Caley and the lack of production from the TE group. I have doubts about him.

The new OC won’t get much done until the OL performs consistently. A healthy, motivated Trent Brown, likely moved back to RT where he belongs, and a new LT.

One free agent tackle to consider is SF’s RT, McGlinchey. That might mean Brown stays at LT where his effectiveness is diminished because of lack foot speed.

BOB’s first tough duty will be bringing in a new WR coach. Love Troy Brown. But there was a lack of development and coaching in that group.

Kendrick Bourne will have a big season coming up.

It was one of the remarkable coaching jobs of all time. Great point, Ross. And they ran a sophisticated pro-style offense. And the kids were able to be taught it.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back