PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS BoB officially back

Breaking New England Patriots Team News

Was hoping a little that Bill would venture outside his comfort zone but I will take it. BOB is the most logical choice and at least it shouldn't be a completely new offense for Mac. Now go out and get a true number one receiver and see if Mac is the guy.

I'd like to see a dedicated QB coach too. Spend some resources to maximize Mac.

I'd like to see a dedicated QB coach too. Spend some resources to maximize Mac.
I think I heard BOB is going to do both. I prefer one voice talking to him during games.

I think I heard BOB is going to do both. I prefer one voice talking to him during games.
I'd rather see another guy in there coaching him up.

Yeah let’a not act like the OC was the only issue last season with the offense, BOB is only step 1 in a multi step process this offseason.

We now have the cake, the rest is icing. Had BOB succeeded McDaniels this past season the Patriots would've been in the playoffs. The roster will get tweaked via the draft plus suitable cap $$$ available to spend in free agency. Given reasonable health there should be absolutely no reason for New England not making the playoffs in 2023.

I'm pretty sure NFL coordinators can leave for promotions even if they sign multi year contracts. I've never heard of non-compete clauses for NFL coaches not sure if that's a thing, but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong.
I assume it’s being mentioned as a possibility because it was in Caserio’s contract in 2019. The NFL later made a rule against that clause in front office contracts, and I’ve never heard of it being a thing for coaches before or after that.

Should be a plus to the offense, and a plus to the defense (less time on the field, more attention from BB). Now if we can Scar 2.0 for the OL.

BOB is a very good OC my fear is that he will be gone next year to be a HC
Quite possibly could happen, but after the disaster that was this year, I would be very hopeful they will have a succession plan in place. Maybe get Caley another year of development. They HAVE to be prepared to be in a better place by then…right?!

Remember, O'Brien wasnt fired for HC, he was fired bc of his bad gming. I am happy he is back as OC. He will bring Mac to where we expected him to be at the beginning of the 2022 season. Coaching last season has made Mac regress. Hoping Bob can turn him around!

an OC is only as good as his QB, and a QB is only as good as his OC......when both are on the same page in terms of understanding of the concepts and what they are trying to do, things work.......see Brian Callahan & Joe Burrows......they both understand their offense and what they are trying to accomplish - Burrows knows his reads & progressions and works through them flawlessly for the most part.......yep, he's got the weapons, but it's the same reason Brady was able to do more with less, he understood what the offense was trying to accomplish and why things were being done, and he was like another OC/playcaller on the field

let's face it, if you've made it to the upper tier of NFL coaching ranks (coordinator level and above), you know the game, you know X's & O's - success at that point becomes far more nuanced, and relationships and trust are a huge part of it.......for that reason alone BoB is a huge upgrade, there's history and an established relationship here
As a Bama fan I can tell you that that our fans that were upset with him were because deep down he is a NFL OC.
Calling plays in college and the NFL is just different. BOB is a really good NFL OC, but not a good college OC.
Just 1 example, in college you rarely throw inside the 5 yard line, BOB called it all the time and we turned it over numerous times. He even did it with a red shirt freshman playing when Bryce was out.
Honestly he was also very predictable and lacked creative plays. His best game was our last game against in Sugar Bowl. We all were saying, where were these plays the last 2 years?
In his defense, we had a horrible DC that was giving up way too many points and this past year Bryce Young was injured.
Bama fans feel this really is the right move for both sides, BOB goes back where he was so successful and we hopefully can land a college OC.

I don't know about this. Alabama fans seem incredibly happy at this news.

Saban forces his coordinators to run his system and not their own. So it is hard to judge O’Brien from his time in Bama. He just might not have been a good fit for Saban’s system.

I was at that game vs. Redskins and saw this happen live. Underwood rounded out his route at the back of the end zone allowing the defender to get in front of him and Brady threw a pick. Brady got on Underwood's case and BOB intervened. You can read Brady's lips yelling multiple times at BOB, "No sh!t!"

This is the best possible hire for determining Mac's future. We can only hope now that BOB has leeway to fill out the offensive staff.

From this video, it sounds like it wasn't all on Tiquan Underwood.

I loved that this video gives Bill O'Brien's nickname: Teapot. :)

Edited to add: Stephen A Smith is such a dink in this video. He's arguing with a guy who has been on a Patriots sideline and acting like he knows what happens there.

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back