PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bob Kravitz writes about Deflategate [Four Games in Fall Documentary]

Can someone clarify something else for me, wasn't there an issue with the pressure gauges used? like they used 2 different gauges, not calibrated or something?

Can someone clarify something else for me, wasn't there an issue with the pressure gauges used? like they used 2 different gauges, not calibrated or something?
Yes, one was mangled looking and they gave different readings between the two with one measuring like .4 pounds higher than the other. Not precision work with equipment like that and showed how this was not precision work by the refs before the game.

I would bet my bottom dollar that the pregame measuring of the balls was done entirely is a half-assed manner. The ref was probably doing 1,000 other things, took out a few balls, measured them with one of the ridiculously-poorly calibrated gauges, saw they were not obscenely irregular, then put them back in.

I would bet my bottom dollar that the pregame measuring of the balls was done entirely is a half-assed manner. The ref was probably doing 1,000 other things, took out a few balls, measured them with one of the ridiculously-poorly calibrated gauges, saw they were not obscenely irregular, then put them back in.
Exactly. It probably didn't matter to anyone at all up until that point. Brady tells Harbaugh to learn the rulebook and this is what we get. That's what happened.

As they basically have always done but sometimes maybe that's not the way to go. Would other owners have stood by as the league piles up on their star QB? To leak fake numbers like that right off the bat is basically insane. Would Jerry of let it all go for the 'greater good'?

Jerry Jones did a lot of blustering when Ezekiel Elliott's domestic violence investigation was going on, more than Kraft did. In the end, the other owners told him his only option was to accept the league's ruling and Jones caved. Jones didn't make the concession speech that Kraft did, but he turtled the same way.

Most teams and quarterbacks didn’t know wtf PSI actually was. It was a regulation for equipment managers to know. If you just submitted the balls to refs that weren’t within the range, the ref would just pump or deflate, though even the consistency on that is questionable because no one really cared.

That’s why Aaron Rodgers said on the radio he would pump them up to the max...not because this was some secret handshake scheme to skirt sacred rules and integrity, but because the the refs/players/staff relationship is an atmosphere of “Lol...cool man...save a slice for me” and not a CIA authentication process for high level clearance.

It would not be surprising, and would seem consistent with the overall story here, if some refs would simply feel the balls to make sure they felt normal.

Those pumps cost like $4.

Even the accusation against the Patriots for using “small balls” was made in utter ignorance of ball pressures and PSI. The Colts thought the balls were significantly underinflated which made the diameter smaller.

Jerry Jones did a lot of blustering when Ezekiel Elliott's domestic violence investigation was going on, more than Kraft did. In the end, the other owners told him his only option was to accept the league's ruling and Jones caved. Jones didn't make the concession speech that Kraft did, but he turtled the same way.
This is very true. He had no data to leak and help his player's case though. I don't expect any of them to go full "Al Davis" on the others over a player. Lets not pretend they care that much. I would of leaked the real data and dealt with that after.

As they basically have always done but sometimes maybe that's not the way to go. Would other owners have stood by as the league piles up on their star QB? To leak fake numbers like that right off the bat is basically insane. Would Jerry of let it all go for the 'greater good'?
Not saying it was right. I’ve said all along Kraft handled it horrendously and fans should consider harbor ill will toward him and his phoniness.
At least Jones is consistent. Kraft is a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

Not saying it was right. I’ve said all along Kraft handled it horrendously and fans should consider harbor ill will toward him and his phoniness.
At least Jones is consistent. Kraft is a wolf in sheep’s clothing.
A weasel in sheep's clothing. Wolves don't bend over for the 31.

Last edited:
In a nutshell there were 2 gauges present. They gave different readings. In order to test the readings you would have to know which one was used. Anderson said he used one. If that was correct the balls where perfectly fine. If he used the one he didn’t say he used then the deflation was more than science dictates.
The investigation concluded than anderson “misremembered” which one he used and relied on that assumption to “prove” their was manipulation. The pictures made it seem impossible to “misremember” because they look very different so in the report they purposely obscured the differences.
Had they taken anderson at his word, they would have immediately found no violation. (Actually they may have found the colts overinflated)

The ref said he used the gauge on the right. Using that gauge the Patriot balls match up exactly. For everything else they said the refs memory was impeccable and took it as fact but clearly he was wrong about this and used the one on the left. The hoops they had to jump thru to prove wrong doing is mind boggling.

Attachments

• 33945452-7322-4E6A-9B78-7D15FB0A95C1.jpeg
    33945452-7322-4E6A-9B78-7D15FB0A95C1.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 3
  • 1EE71B96-17D6-4BA4-AA6B-7EA982F283E7.jpeg
    1EE71B96-17D6-4BA4-AA6B-7EA982F283E7.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 3
During the “investigation,” the Patriots had the actual PSI numbers in their possession. They could have easily leaked those numbers and wrecked the NFL’s narrative, preemptively calling out the BS before the Wells bomb hit.

Bob trusted the other owners and Goodell, though, and trusted the process even while it was incredibly obvious to everyone they were being railroaded.

Imagine if another owner’s Hall of Fame quarterback was being railroaded, and the owner had in his possession clear evidence of his innocence for months but declined to share it with the press because the commissioner told him not to.

Bob spent four months getting played, got angry for a day, and then within three minutes at arriving at an owner’s meeting, espoused the ideals of surrendering to a false narrative (and abandoning his QB) for the sake of the greater good. It’s difficult to overstate his cowardice.
He can't unlatch from Goodell. He's eternally grateful to Goodell for CMGI/Gillette even though he was only here because Tagliabue sent him.

And he'll never unlatch from the flying elvis. He's in love with it and enemy blue jerseys and enemy silver helmets. The vast majority of real Patriots fans for 33 years who were and always will be against it were described by the media in 1993 as a "small faction". And the false narrative that the team sucked for those 33 years or were somehow worse than any other franchise persists in force to this day, fueling anti-Patriots rhetoric and denigration.

He can't unlatch from Goodell. He's eternally grateful to Goodell for CMGI/Gillette even though he was only here because Tagliabue sent him.

And he'll never unlatch from the flying elvis. He's in love with it and enemy blue jerseys and enemy silver helmets. The vast majority of real Patriots fans for 33 years who were and always will be against it were described by the media in 1993 as a "small faction". And the false narrative that the team sucked for those 33 years or were somehow worse than any other franchise persists in force to this day, fueling anti-Patriots rhetoric and denigration.
I know of only one fan who had an issue with the uniforms.

The documentary “Four Games in Fall” annihilates the NFL for the Deflategate scandal, showing it is highly unlikely, and certainly never proven, that the footballs Tom Brady used in the 2015 AFC championship game were even deflated beyond what Ideal Gas Law would dictate.

Rather than back down when confronted with the realities of science, the league used biased investigators, manipulated evidence and an effective, if pathetic, misinformation campaign to railroad Brady, who wound up suspended for four games.

The film is nearly two hours of scientists, lawyers and professors systematically debunking a story that is more about abuse of power than what did, or more accurately, didn’t occur.

Documentary takes air out of NFL's Deflategate case against Tom Brady, who continues to prove it wasn't about the balls

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back