PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blount on the outs in Philly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take Blount back over Burkhead without a 2nd thought.

Blount is better at rushing and Burkhead's receiving is very redundant with Lewis and White

Seriously, I mean what does BB know about football to overrule a majority of people in the front office and pursue Burkhead. Someone has to rein him in a bit otherwise he will screw up yet another season. Amirite ?

I don't take him as things stand right now, but if we have an injury (Gillislee is hurt right now, Lewis has a history of injury) and he can add back the depth to the running game we will have lost, I see no problem with that.

Seriously, I mean what does BB know about football to overrule a majority of people in the front office and pursue Burkhead. Someone has to rein him in a bit otherwise he will screw up yet another season. Amirite ?

same as with Pittsburgh in 2014, it was a $ decision rather than a production one.

Blount was a FA and was going to get more money than Bill wanted to pay a 30 yr old RB so he moved on

Same exact thing he just did with Bennett too.

This team will pass a lot, Brady will pass over 5000 yards this season so even if Gilleslie is banged up let him recover 100% we can go with the small guys for the first few games without a problem.

Burkhead is an excellent signing, it's strange it was only a 1 year deal. You could see since the signing it was going to work well, he's perfect for this system and he can run and get some tough yards.

Last edited:
Burkhead is an excellent signing, it's strange it was only a 1 year deal. You could see since the signing it was going to work well, he's perfect for this system and he can run and get some tough yards.

Putting Mr Peabody's Wayback Machine in reverse polarization, Josh McD goes to his new HC job next year. Trades for JAG. And if Burk is what we expect, signs the UFA to his new team. Got it.

I wonder what Blount was asking the Pats for, and what the Pats were wiling to give.

Blount is better at rushing and Burkhead's receiving is very redundant with Lewis and White

The choice is not Blount v. Burkhead.
The choice is Blount v. Gillislee.

Gillislee = Blount/Maroney/Dillon/Ridley ..... a/k/a early down, run oriented backs
Burkhead = Lewis/Woodhead/Faulk ...... all down, run and pass guys who lend themselves to match up wins
White = Vereen ..... pass catchers

Again the BB adage better a year early then a year too late. Rings true again

Philly HC Doug Peterson says he's going to be a big part of their plans this year, per PFT.

Belichick has repeatedly said we were too one dimensional and predictable. Blount in the game on 1st/2nd down. Ok they're rushing. White back in the game on 3rd down, ok watch for the dump off to the RB.

He wants to mix things up like we used to have for a while when we had Vereen and Woodhead who could do all things. With our current field who can all catch a pass, we should be less predictable.

Belichick has repeatedly said we were too one dimensional and predictable. Blount in the game on 1st/2nd down. Ok they're rushing. White back in the game on 3rd down, ok watch for the dump off to the RB.

He wants to mix things up like we used to have for a while when we had Vereen and Woodhead who could do all things. With our current field who can all catch a pass, we should be less predictable.

Do you have the link to where the said that?

Belichick Hoping for Ground Balance

“Hopefully we will be a little bit less of a Blount on first down [and] second-and-short, Lewis on second down, White on third down — that type of [set-up],” Belichick said on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

“Part of that for us was getting our best player to do what he does best type of thing. Hopefully, this year, we’ll have a little more balance between the running game and passing game. Again, LG was primarily a runner. He didn’t have a lot of receiving production. The reverse is true of James White. So hopefully with our backs this year we’ll have a little more balance and be a little less predictable from that spot.”​

In revamping RB position, Bill Belichick sees more versatility, unpredictability

"We'll have to see how that all comes together. I would say that I think this year we're trying ... we have a little bit more versatility than we had in the past. LeGarrette was a very good short-yardage, first- and second-down type of guy," Belichick said on the "Movin' The Chains" show hosted by Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller.

"I think Burkhead has ability on all four downs. I think Gillislee maybe has a little more overall versatility. Dion Lewis can play on all three downs. James White, as we saw later in the year last year, can play more on all three downs, although we used him more as a third-down player. [Brandon] Bolden can play on all three downs, so it will be interesting to see how all that competition unfolds."​

same as with Pittsburgh in 2014, it was a $ decision rather than a production one.

Blount was a FA and was going to get more money than Bill wanted to pay a 30 yr old RB so he moved on

Same exact thing he just did with Bennett too.
Didn't Bennett overvalue himself and get less than the Patriots initially offered?? By the time he realized this, they had moved on to Allen.....IIRC

Loved the guy as a Patriot and loved it when he came back, but his day has passed. RB is not a position of need at this instant.

While he's no longer a 5 yard a carry guy, Belichick stopped using him that way awhile ago - and 18 goal line TDs is still nothing to sneeze at

Philly would be fools not to give him a chance and see what he can do in the regular season (assuming they can block for him) - but at his age I can imagine him being a mid season cut

At that point, should the injury bug hit on the Patriots majorly upgraded RB roster, he's an easy "shadow roster" guy.

But shame on the Eagles if they give up on him too soon. He'll always have my admiration as a guy who contributed in a big way (and even did his best to get cut by the Steelers to work his way back here!)

No thanks. The Blount days are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand