PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Blocking Harry

Shannon Sharpe was a receiver initially and struggled. He then switched to tight end where he was great. I don’t really know why he was so much better at TE, different types of routes I guess and he was big and strong enough to block. He was similar in size to Harry, at least initially.

I wonder if Harry could make the switch as well given his struggles at WR and his blocking ability. I have no idea if it could work, but I’m curious what others think. And if anyone has insight into why this worked so well for Sharpe.

Harry is our #4 WR and will be here next year at $1.2M of new money. His 2021 salary was all guaranteed.

It is good that we are getting some value from him.

Maybe Harry is learning to block and then he will be released into routes against linebackers. Harry would destroy linebackers and if the other defense substitutes to add a CB to cover Harry, then run the ball. I think BB developed this cunning plan why scouting Kyle Pitts for the draft. ;)
Honestly, I think this is why gronk was (is) a once in a generation player. He could beat any linebacker in man coverage and could both run AND pass block effectively against defensive ends. There was a mismatch no matter what personnel the defense put on the field. He's an OT with freak athletic skills and amazing hands.

Shannon Sharpe was a receiver initially and struggled. He then switched to tight end where he was great. I don’t really know why he was so much better at TE, different types of routes I guess and he was big and strong enough to block. He was similar in size to Harry, at least initially.

I wonder if Harry could make the switch as well given his struggles at WR and his blocking ability. I have no idea if it could work, but I’m curious what others think. And if anyone has insight into why this worked so well for Sharpe.

Did you just compare hall of fame, multi-champion Shannon Sharpe, to NKeal Harry. OK.

I believe Zolak said yesterday it's a big time tell that it's a run play when Harry is in.

Find a use for the player, boost their confidence, see if it helps other areas of development. I'm kinda all for using Harry for whatever at this point, there isn't much to lose if it at least gives a great block and defenses have a hard time with it, even if him being on the field telegraph's a run.

However, if he gets some decent hands, Harry being on the field will be a great tool for McDaniels. Nowhere close to Gronk obviously, but a tough body that can block well and catch, on a team that has a power-run game, makes the defenses job of reading the play that much harder.

I believe Zolak said yesterday it's a big time tell that it's a run play when Harry is in.

Everybody knows we're gonna run a Bolden screen on second and long in the red zone and yet it's worked recently:cool:

Harry is by far our best blocking WR. He should be out there when it's a running play.

Harry's been targeted 8 times this year, with 6 catches for 103 (17.2 per). He's also got a first down DPI against him.

Spread it around offense. He'll get his chance if he keeps putting in the work.

Find a use for the player, boost their confidence, see if it helps other areas of development. I'm kinda all for using Harry for whatever at this point, there isn't much to lose if it at least gives a great block and defenses have a hard time with it, even if him being on the field telegraph's a run.

However, if he gets some decent hands, Harry being on the field will be a great tool for McDaniels. Nowhere close to Gronk obviously, but a tough body that can block well and catch, on a team that has a power-run game, makes the defenses job of reading the play that much harder.

BB lets McD dial occasional Harry play just to keep Ds honest . but he wants to keep the good stuff for January ..

-.-

Angry Harry must have read some forum posts for blocking inspiration..

But Harry still seems to have trouble with the playbook. Life as a TE here is way more complicated - Belichick has said its the hardest position to pick up here in NE after QB.

But Harry still seems to have trouble with the playbook. Life as a TE here is way more complicated - Belichick has said its the hardest position to pick up here in NE after QB.

Agreed. Seems a difficult spot for Harry. Baby Gronk? Hernandez? Seems like a great weapon if he can figure out that hybrid role - very few guys can play that role.

Garbage time blocking with Hoyer?! Or did he see the field in the first half?
He was on the field for running plays the whole game.. Didn't you bother to watch it or the videos posted?

@DropKickFlutie - Please Read this series of Tweets. And then RE-READ them. And RE-READ them again and again and again until you actually understand what Chatham is saying. And, since you don't know, Matt Chatham is a commentator who's actually played the game so he had a good handle on what he's talking about.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back