PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Polian: Pats are not that good

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of that said I guess my point is all it takes is an off week or one of the playoff teams playing really well for the pats to lose a game. They are not SO much more talented then the other teams that they can just show up. What they are better at then anyone else is if an injury hits they can fill in without missing a beat and as we have seen Super Bowl winners tend to be the healthiest team left in the tournament so I like their chances. A lot.

You have hit on several unknown factors that will determine level of success in the coming season. Consistency and minimizing impact of injury/negative incidents are key to surviving the season and advancing in the post season. Other unknown factors are whether the team will bond, and have the chemistry that leads to ultimate success, and most important of all will they have mental toughness, as individuals, units and a team. It only takes the addition of one inharmonious ingredient to destroy a recipe, and there will be over a dozen new faces to integrate into the 2017 squad.

Much as I dislike Polian, he is not wrong in asserting that the Patriots are not invincible. However it is an easy platitude given how hard it is to put together a SB winning team in the first place, let alone a perennial post season competitor. He also took the easy way out of the original question, by focusing on a commonplace observation about a team that stands between the Bills and any immediate success of their own. He would have gained much more credibility if he had provided some insight into the real challenges faced by one of his old teams. Instead he took the click-bait route.

When "they're not invincible" counts as trash talk, you know you have it good. :cool:

This

Pollian wants so badly to rip on the Patriots yet the worst he could do was

The Patriots almost didn't win the Super Bowl-True, he apparently unremembered that instead they had the greatest comeback in football history. Led by ........Tom Brady.

Tom Brady is not going to play forever-True. He is however going to play longer than Pollian will live.

Harsh, but true.

Tom Brady is human-True, but it's "SUPERHUMAN" to you, motherf*cker.

The Patriots aren't invincible-True. They are however the closest thing in sports to it.

Scathing criticism, I'm sure Don Shula was nodding along right through it.

That blowhard put some of our teams together. And rode Matt Cassell to the playoffs.

I know we have this fantasy in this region that everyone who leaves our teams, for whatever reason it may be, must be and retroactively always have been a bum with no brains, but Polian was a very smart manager, not least because he listened to Belichick.
Never mind, saw the Pioli thing.

I think Polian might have been saying they're not as good as 12.5 win money line. I think they are, but 13 wins is a high bar. Oh, wait, I forgot about 19-0.

Last edited:
Polian is slowly being exposed as a fraud and the luckiest GM of all time.

Buffalo Bills (GM 86-92) - took over as GM in 86 for a 2-14 team, but inherited a HOF QB in Jim Kelly (84), HOF DE in Bruce Smith (85) and HOF WR in Andre Reed (85).
Buffalo Bills All-Time Draft History | Pro-Football-Reference.com
-his drafts were horrible. The success of the Bills were because of Marv Levy and Jim Kelly/Bruce Smith
-he lasted 6 years for one of the great teams over that period, because his drafts were horrible

Colts - he took over a team that had the #1 pick and Peyton Manning, they already drafted MArvin Harrison a couple of years earlier. His defenses were always subpar. When Manning was out, the team was so poorly constructed that they were the worst team in football.

It's an embarassment to the HOF that Polian is in there.

Colts

First of all. WTF would I give a crap about anything Bill Polian has to say, even if it was complimentary.

That being said, sometimes I get uncomfortable with all the overly exuberant love the Pats are getting from mediot types and fans. Winning a game in the NFL is HARD, regardless of the record a team has. I worry about the high expectations this team has already without ever putting pads on.

Think about it.

Are there other teams with better OL's? Yes

Are there other teams with better WR groups? Yes.

Are there other teams with better RB's Yes

Are there other teams with better DL's Yes

Are there other teams with better LB groups's Yes

We DO have the best QB and TE tandoms, a top 3 secondary, and most importantly, the best coaching staff in the league.

Granted the OL is "good". The WR's are deep. The RB's are competent, and the DL and LB's have been adequate. AND we all know that with the Pats the sum is always going to be greater than the individual parts.

So while I know that the Pats are going to be a very good team this season, I don't understand why the mediots and some fans have them being so heads and shoulders above every other team. So much so that if they lose a game it will be a shock. Sure they got better this off season, but so did just about everyone else.

Now I think Bill Polian is a collossal assh*les, and is a far bigger cheater in reality than BB has even thought of being by his critics. But the fact is, when you read what he said in full, there isn't much you can disagree with. The Pats are a great team, well coached and prepared, BUT on any given Sunday, they CAN be beaten.

I will always HATE Bill Polian, but this time I can't hate what he said.

He was basically asked to give Bills fans hope. He basically said "If you get really lucky, you can catch them on a bad day, and Brady can't play forever.".

Did people really expect him to say "Well, I know what you're asking me, but snow will fly out of a camel's ass before the Bills will get past the Patriots again."?

Are there other teams with better WR groups? Yes.

Are there?

On paper, who has a better 1/2 tandem than Cooks and Edelman? Pitt, NYG, maybe Oakland and Tampa?

No team in the league goes deeper at 3 - 5 than the Pats do with Hogan, Mitchell and Amendola.

When will morons like Polian, Tomlin and the other deplorables realize every time they open their mouths they show how butt-hurt and inferior they think they are. It almost like they use shade and criticism as a coping mechanism.
Most, if not all of us, do sometimes.. It is the frequency and lengths to which they go to do so that is disturbing.

We know it's biased and partial the moment they put "impartial" and "unbiased" in the same sentence.
Um...I think the tweet was sarcastic...

Isn't that the same number of Super Bowl's Polian has lost? Or has he lost even more than that?

Polian teams have an 18-15 playoff record and are 1-5 in SBs.

He should be 1-6 but he left BUF after 1992 and 99% of the '93 roster was his

This

Pollian wants so badly to rip on the Patriots yet the worst he could do was

The Patriots almost didn't win the Super Bowl-True, he apparently unremembered that instead they had the greatest comeback in football history. Led by ........Tom Brady.

Tom Brady is not going to play forever-True. He is however going to play longer than Pollian will live.

Harsh, but true.

Tom Brady is human-True, but it's "SUPERHUMAN" to you, motherf*cker.

The Patriots aren't invincible-True. They are however the closest thing in sports to it.

Scathing criticism, I'm sure Don Shula was nodding along right through it.

That wasn't nodding in agreement, that was Don trying not to fall asleep again before they hand out the pudding and he gets skipped again.

I think everyone needs to calm down. That fool said what he said for attention, but at the same time, he's telling the truth.

Last year, I did not think we were that great of a team, we were just better than anyone in the AFC because other teams lacked a decent QB. If the Texans had a QB, we would not have played in the SB. That D had the blueprint and Brady was embarrassing himself at times. Yes, I'm going by what I saw in the game and it was not good. Then we had to face sorry Pittsburgh, who unfortunately still gets hyped because of the past and a good receiver -- the team sucks and have sucked since Tomlin took over, no ring will change that fact.

That Superbowl, like it or not, was rigged and rehearsed. As soon as I saw all the Muhammad Ali references in the preshow, I said they were foreshadowing the game and Brady would have some type of comeback, but dang, I didn't think they would go all out and recreate Ali vs Frazier in NFL format. The plagerism or tribute was straight uncanny and the suspension of disbelief was even worse.

Nobody is going to convince me that ATL's defense got tired from the old rope-a-dope and Brady knocked them out. Again, my judgement on the matter will not be blinded by my fandom. Brady or ATL's D had nothing to do with Matt Ryan and his offense playing completely out of character towards the end, they go from practically walking into the end zone all night, to Ryan standing in the pocket, waiting for hits/sacks or to intentionally overthrow his receiver, he could've at least managed the clock, the mess was outright comedy at that point . They were practically waiting or hoping that Brady would outscore them. At no point, did I think we would lose, while watching the game, because I knew in my gut that it was rigged in our favor.

Brady clearly stop pursuing his appeal of Deflategate because the *32 gave him an offer he couldn't refuse, which was likely the next 2 SBs and a chance to recreate the dynasty aura in New England before his retirement, as long as he didn't expose the league for the frauds that they are. Sad.

I didn't even get excited after the Superbowl, I was actually disappointed with the product. I did shed a tear, when the overwhelmed Brady fell to his knees, the guy truly deserves an Oscar for that gratifying moment, it was almost as good as Game of Thrones, when the North rallied around Ned Stark's bastard, Jon Snow instead of the legitimate Stark girl and crowned him the King of the North. They've been my favorite characters for years and they deserve every honor; However, Brady's story was horribly written last season, compared to Jon Snow's.

As I said before, I have to start thinking of the NFL as I do with the WWE and talk about it in kayfabe. I would actually find myself more happy for my team and fussing about the audacity of Bill Politan, if I did. Otherwise, the storylines last year sucked and the league could definitely use new writers, better halftime performances, and a decent commercial for the SB. The whole show was garbage last year.

The rant is over and now I'm going into my shell until the season starts with the "One more for Brady campaign." The story of Brady v Garrapolo should be fun, almost like Jon Snow v Sansa Stark if it comes to that. I'll be watching... I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes