PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Polian: Pats are not that good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the entire quote was ...

"They are a great team. They are not as great as people think they are. They're not invincible. What they are is exceptionally well-constructed and exceptionally well-coached."

Thus proving once again that any remark can be quoted out of context to make it seem worse than it was for the purpose of getting re-tweets.

Also, please note that Polian said this in response to a question about whether or not the Bills could compete with the Pats in 2017 - instead of simply laughing his ass off, like he probably wanted to do.

I'm sorry, but i don't see how "they are not as great as people think they are" is taken out of context. What he should have said is "NE is tough but not invincible," which I agree with.

I agree it was out of context but saying the words "not as great as people think they are" sounds exactly how it sounds.

Not the best choice of words unless he really believes they are not as great as people think.

Wow, Polian is strongly refuting the opinion that the Patriots are completely invincible!

The thought that the Patriots are completely invincible was put forward by...

.....hmmm....

....wait...

absolutely nobody. Correct, nobody thinks that at all. Well, except for the guy who started the "we will go 19-0" thread. Polian really put that guy in his place!

It's hard for me to generate some added hate for Polian based upon that remark. There have been so many much more moronic things he's said over the years that this doesn't even register, for me.

That blowhard put some of our teams together. And rode Matt Cassell to the playoffs.

I know we have this fantasy in this region that everyone who leaves our teams, for whatever reason it may be, must be and retroactively always have been a bum with no brains, but Polian was a very smart manager, not least because he listened to Belichick.
WTF? Drinking before 10:00 am? I hope you're on vacation...

I agree it was out of context but saying the words "not as great as people think they are" sounds exactly how it sounds.

Not the best choice of words unless he really believes they are not as great as people think.
That depends on how you define what people think.
If we use the definition if the poster who said aside from injuries the patriots are guaranteed to go 19-0 Polian is right on the money.

Wow, Polian is strongly refuting the opinion that the Patriots are completely invincible!

The thought that the Patriots are completely invincible was put forward by...

.....hmmm....

....wait...

absolutely nobody. Correct, nobody thinks that at all. Well, except for the guy who started the "we will go 19-0" thread. Polian really put that guy in his place!

It's hard for me to generate some added hate for Polian based upon that remark. There have been so many much more moronic things he's said over the years that this doesn't even register, for me.
Do you really have any room for added hate of Polian?

Oh for god's sake. Not the first time I mixed up Polian with Pioli. Not drunk, just had an insomnia-fueled all nighter.
Understandable.

I'm sorry, but i don't see how "they are not as great as people think they are" is taken out of context. What he should have said is "NE is tough but not invincible," which I agree with.

I'm old, and I've done a lot of public speaking - taught classes, conducted seminars (the last one just a couple weeks ago), even been interviewed by reporters on a few occasions - and been mis-quoted and had the meaning of what I actually said skewed by someone reporting only part of what I said.

OTOH, I still find myself thinking, in hindsight, "I could have phrased that better."

In this case, after reading Polian's entire response, I understood that what he actually said had an entirely different meaning from the excerpt that's been making the rounds. Could he have phrased things better (in the urgency of the moment)? Perhaps.

But I have to take a "Physician, heal thyself," on that.

WRT the sentence that you quoted (and then re-phrased), in terms of the sentiments of Patriots fans that I've seen expressed on this forum, as well as on others, I can't disagree with his original statement.

I'll agree they aren't invincible (who is?), but who are those people who try to make us think the Pats are better than they are? Other than us arm chair QB homers, I think most folks think like Polian (how the !@#$#! do they DO that?). See ya in the fall Bill, and the rest of the league!

Well, the entire quote was ...

"They are a great team. They are not as great as people think they are. They're not invincible. What they are is exceptionally well-constructed and exceptionally well-coached."

Thus proving once again that any remark can be quoted out of context to make it seem worse than it was for the purpose of getting re-tweets.

Also, please note that Polian said this in response to a question about whether or not the Bills could compete with the Pats in 2017 - instead of simply laughing his ass off, like he probably wanted to do.

Please don't bring reason into this.

I'm assuming that's sarcasm. Yet a large number of people who read that tweet won't get the sarcasm

Yes, they are either tweet brains - or Jets fans.

Actually, everything he said is true. The biggest problem is the person who said it.

Oh and in hindsight, is it possible ATLs man defensive schemes combined with the Pats' inability to beat said man coverage led to TB12s shaky performance until the D tired? Couldn't be that right?

Which is why BB went out and got Cooks as well as a nice couple of RBs. Not to mention Gronk coming back.

So take a team that went 14-1 with Brady and fix what BB identified as their weakness from the Super Bowl(which they still won).:cool:

"They're not as great as people think!"

- Won Super Bowl despite being down 25 points til late in the 3rd quarter
- Won Super Bowl WITHOUT their best non-QB player (Gronkowski)
- Most players returning; key re-singings i.e. Hightower
- Traded for Brandin Cooks, Dwayne Allen, Kony Ealy
- Signed Gilmore, Gillislee, Burkhead...

Yeah, those guys aren't really that good.

I can't take it anymore........................

We have the Goat QB, the Goat coach, the Goat TE.....wtf, this entire team is a goat herd.

How could they possibly lose a game in 17?
View attachment 17075
Kraft, Ernie & Nick are apparently GOAT herders in their leisure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News