PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Parcell had some amazing drafts during his time here

Status
Not open for further replies.
1996 NFL draft for the patriots have to be the best first 3 rounds in franchise history

good point, but if you break out the best 4 round draft, it's got to be:

1 Laurence Maroney Running back Minnesota
2 Chad Jackson Wide receiver Florida
3 David Thomas Tight end Texas
4 Garrett Mills Tight end Tulsa

Those guys came up huge in the following year to prevent the biggest blown lead in championship game history

my previous sarcastic aside, people have to compare Patriots' drafts under Bill and followed by Bill by comparing it relative to other teams. To say X number of players out of 7 sucked and it was a bad draft is akin to saying Albert Pujols only gets 35 hits for every 100 ABs and therefor he sucks. You can't see the forest from the trees.

good point, but if you break out the best 4 round draft, it's got to be:

1 Laurence Maroney Running back Minnesota
2 Chad Jackson Wide receiver Florida
3 David Thomas Tight end Texas
4 Garrett Mills Tight end Tulsa

Those guys came up huge in the following year to prevent the biggest blown lead in championship game history

And don't forget their next 4th-round pick, the Placekicker who made 2 clutch FGs to thwart the Jints' comeback hopes.

I don't think that is true. I think towards the end, Bobby Greer won over Kraft and Kraft stepped in and gave Grier more control. I think if Parcells wasn't shopping for the groceries before then, this would have blown up earlier.
Don't forget that when Bill Parcells came to Foxboro, Bob Kraft was just a fan with a season ticket (who also happened to own the stadium lease :D).

Parcells was picking the groceries at first under Orthwein. But Kraft didn't want the team run that way and when push came to shove, Kraft overruled Parcells and picked Grier's suggestion by going with Terry Glenn. That was the beginning of the end for Parcells' time in New England.

Ironic how Parcells ended up liking Glenn a lot and got the most out of him.

Last edited:
Parcells didn't have any drafts while he was here. Unlike BB who both cooks and shops for the groceries. Parcells only cooked and was not allowed to show for the grcoeries. That was the reason the tradior left us for the Jets.

Not sure if someone posted this already but #26 pick in first round of 1996 draft makes me sick to my stomach. The fact 25 teams failed to see how good he was gonna be is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST