PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Parcell had some amazing drafts during his time here

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL...slow down, cowboy. Ever heard of Stanley Morgan? If not, you may want to Google him. Your contention is (BY FAR) the most ludicrous I have heard in a long, long time...

wouldn't you love to see Tip,Blackmon and Nellie playing LB for the Pats today?

jeez...yeah...Morgan made the 50 yard catch and score almost routine in the 80's..the Steamah!!!!

Last edited:
In 4 years of drafting with New England, Parcells got

Drew Blesdsoe
Troy Brown
Chris Slade
Willie McGinist
Ted Johnson
Tedi Bruschi
Curtis Martin
Ty Law
Lawyer Milloy
Terry Glenn

On top of that, Wohlabaugh was a solid starter and Hitchcoch was ok. Rucci and Lane were starters for a while though they were not very good. But still to get that many starters in 4 drafts is damn good. Alot of those names on your list were key contributors to our dynasty.

1995 probably the best draft in Pats history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your giving Glenn a bad rap. Glenn got almost 1200 yards receiving as a ROOKIE(a record at the time)...He had insane hands, was very fast, made incredible catches, had great vertical, and put up very good numbers over his career. I actually think he underachieved a bit, his talent level was off the charts. He gave us the # 1 WR we desperately needed.

I know, I was all for Glenn to come here and was very happy with him under Parcells but to say BP was responsible for Glenn being here would be a untruth. Further, Glenn's play suffered after his injuries and always left his feet early instead of running underneath the ball..which led to his broken collarbone. Yes, totally uncoverable but simply wasnt a good PRO because of his notariety as a head case. BP would obviously rather have a solid DL who wasnt a head case than a diva WR with all the talent yet lacking the drive to be a truely great PRO, which is all that counts.

Glenn is such a shame, wish he didn't have a piss poor attitude.

He played one game with Brady and IIRC had 120 yards and a TD. Imagine if those 2 had a few seasons together.

The 1994 draft was a hit with Willie McGinest alone though. I mean how many times did that guy come up big for us in the clutch for 10 + years?

While it is true that McGinest came up big many times under Belichick, he was practically considered a bust during the first half of his career - at a time when players got far less scrutiny than they do today.

Chris Slade is another who had mixed reviews during his Pats career. Terry Glenn had three good years, three not so good years; overall not a really good return on expected production - though much better than that guy Parcells wanted to draft instead.

If their carers were just starting now or in the last few years, considering the standard that current fans and media fans impose, how would they be faring in the court of public opinion?

Question: if a current draft netted only one player, and it was the equivalent production of McGinest's first five years in the league, how do you think you, most other fans as a whole, and the media as a whole would think of how successful that draft was?

Stanley Morgan more talented than Terry Glenn? Glenn made some of the best catches I have ever seen. He was like a much faster, better route running version of Brandon Lloyd.

Terry Glenn and Brandon Lloyd is not a bad comparison.

Neither belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Unlike Stanley Morgan.

I specifically said glenn was a BETTER FASTER version of Brandon Lloyd. Terry Glenn absolutely had hall of fame talent. No question. Had he kept his head straight

Terry Glenn is still the most talented WR we ever drafted(BY FAR). Had he stayed and played with Brady, he would have been a consistent pro-bowl WR and maybe future hall of famer.

Yet Parcells didn't want to draft him and he was right. Terry Glenn is froot loops, are you sure you were following the team then?

There were more top receivers in that draft than any in recent history. Parcells could have drafted Marvin Harrison or Eric Moulds at the bottom of the round or Joe Horn etc. and traded down after grabbing a defensive player.

Anyway, here's the list. Everyone except Keyshawn went lower than Glenn which is why Parcells was so pissed to spend #7 on a receiver. Joe Horn was the 5th round, I believe, T.O. the 3rd.

Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Eddie Kennison, Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, Bobby Engram, Terrell Owens, Muhsin Muhammad, Amani Toomer, Jermaine Lewis, and Joe Horn

Last edited:
While it is true that McGinest came up big many times under Belichick, he was practically considered a bust during the first half of his career - at a time when players got far less scrutiny than they do today.

Chris Slade is another who had mixed reviews during his Pats career. Terry Glenn had three good years, three not so good years; overall not a really good return on expected production - though much better than that guy Parcells wanted to draft instead.

If their carers were just starting now or in the last few years, considering the standard that current fans and media fans impose, how would they be faring in the court of public opinion?

Question: if a current draft netted only one player, and it was the equivalent production of McGinest's first five years in the league, how do you think you, most other fans as a whole, and the media as a whole would think of how successful that draft was?

And a 4th overall pick. I can imagine some of the "fans" having patience enough to wait 5 ears for some better than average healthy play.

Ted Johnson too.

Yet Parcells didn't want to draft him and he was right. Terry Glenn is froot loops, are you sure you were following the team then?
Meanwhile, Parcells took SHE back with him in Dallas.

And a 4th overall pick. I can imagine some of the "fans" having patience enough to wait 5 ears for some better than average healthy play.

Ted Johnson too.
All it takes is one great draft and a few key free agent acquisitions to go from 4-12 to 12-4 or in the Patriots case 5-11 to 11-5.

All it takes is one great draft and a few key free agent acquisitions to go from 4-12 to 12-4 or in the Patriots case 5-11 to 11-5.

Actually, the Patriots didn't have a lot of draft picks when they turned the team around, but they did have Parcells players and a bunch of cheap free agents.

When you're at the bottom of the league and you stock up on extra picks you should do well with a good coach/gm. Parcells had some great picks and missed a ton.

Because of the 6th round pick we made, we never had any high picks except Seymour unless we traded for them.

Plus his picks got to play, which makes a huge difference. When you have three championship teams, rookies don't get to play much at a lot of positions.

Last edited:
Actually, the Patriots didn't have a lot of draft picks when they turned the team around, but they did have Parcells players and a bunch of cheap free agents.

When you're at the bottom of the league and you stock up on extra picks you should do well with a good coach/gm. Parcells had some great picks and missed a ton.

Because of the 6th round pick we made, we never had any high picks except Seymour unless we traded for them.

Plus his picks got to play, which makes a huge difference. When you have three championship teams, rookies don't get to play much at a lot of positions.
Richard Seymour and Matt Light were two key rookies on the 2001 New England Patriots.

Meanwhile, Parcells took SHE back with him in Dallas.

Terry needed a daddy. Different personalities. Parcells will try to work on someone like that, BB just says goodbye.

Richard Seymour and Matt Light were two key rookies on the 2001 New England Patriots.

Right. Then they won two more championships. Of course they still drafted, but they didn't have a whole roster to fill with players. Did I say they had zero rookies or something? I mentioned Seymour in my "only high pick" statement.

Light was a second round pick, not sure I get your point.

Last edited:
I specifically said glenn was a BETTER FASTER version of Brandon Lloyd. Terry Glenn absolutely had hall of fame talent. No question. Had he kept his head straight

I get that.

Just wondering why draft picks from a previous regime are given a pass on potential even after their career is done when assessing that draft, but when evaluating recent draft picks most fans and the media dismiss potential and label a player a bust after just eight games, or maybe a year and a half.

Obviously you are comparing Parcells to Belichick and implying that Parcells was the superior evaluator of talent and better at drafting, correct?

As for Glenn, sadly the world is overrun with unfulfilled talent. It is very unfortunate that he was unable to exorcise his personal demons.

Right. Then they won two more championships. Of course they still drafted, but they didn't have a whole roster to fill with players. Did I say they had zero rookies or something? I mentioned Seymour in my "only high pick" statement.

Light was a second round pick, not sure I get your point.
Cornerstone players.

I also remember watching Phil Villapiano mugging Russ Francis on third down in the fourth quarter of the 1976 AFC Divisional Playoffs played in Oakland, CA.

Obviously you are comparing Parcells to Belichick and implying that Parcells was the superior evaluator of talent and better at drafting, correct?.

Oh, is that what this thread is about? I wasnt sure. Its been a long time since i've seen any threads on BBs drafting............ :bricks:

and for the record, I agree with JMT57. If some of those guys were drafted today, they would be labeled a bust long before they developed....Bruschi? bust. Troy? bust....

P.S. nobody should ever mention Glenns name in the same sentence as Stanley Morgan :mad:

Cornerstone players.

I also remember watching Phil Villapiano mugging Russ Francis on third down in the fourth quarter of the 1976 AFC Divisional Playoffs played in Oakland, CA.

Dreith intentionally screwed the Patriots in that game...and admitted it 25 years later in an interview on his ranch in Montana...seems he hated easterners and especially New Yawkers and Bahstonites...there was NEVER a a hit by Hamilton on Stabler on 3rd down, forensic videography years later proved it and then Dreith admitted that he screwed the Pats ...

here's the Boston media on this dastardly villain...

Villains: Ben Dreith

here's a snippet from his bio

During the 1976 playoff between the Oakland Raiders and the New England Patriots, Dreith called a roughing-the-passer penalty on Patriots tackle Ray "Sugar Bear" Hamilton, nullifying a third down incompletion and giving the Raiders an automatic first down deep in New England territory, which led to Oakland's game-winning touchdown with less than a minute left. Replays showed there was no illegal contact. Partially because of the controversy, the league never assigned Dreith to officiate Patriots games again.

Jetdell would have him doing every other Patriots game today....

Last edited:
Cornerstone players.

Love your sig. I hope BB does. I say next year we don't draft any players from any schools in the state of florida. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST