PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill O'Brien Gone: new OC at Ohio State

I guess BoB didn't want any part in mentoring Mayo and helping him with his previous NFL head coach experience and was in Im outta here mode
Or, he was told he wasn't welcome back after being confronted with leaking the Mayo 'ruffling feathers' to the media. But you're probably right.

• -According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy and teammate Kanvavis McGhee following a February 1998 bar fight. Bieniemy was charged with disorderly conduct and fighting in public, but he pleaded no contest. He and McGhee each received deferred sentences and performed court-mandated community service.

• -According to the Orlando Sentinel, Bienemy pleaded no contest after allegedly shoving a firefighter on July 4, 1990. Colorado suspended Bieniemy for one game in the upcoming season.

• -Colorado police once again arrested Bieniemy, then in the NFL, in September 1993. The Orlando Sentinel reported that Bieniemy allegedly grabbed a female parking attendant by the neck and threatened her.

• -According to the Daily Bruin, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy on a DUI charge in April 2001, three months after he joined the football staff as a running backs coach. He previously had his driver’s license suspended after numerous violations. Bieniemy was also linked to allegations that Colorado’s football program “used alcohol and sex to lure recruits.” ESPN reported in 2004 that the university discovered there was evidence of drugs and alcohol being used to “entice recruits,” but no university officials were guilty of misconduct.
He's still banned from the Colorado campus, as far as I know.

It's the same reason he will never work for Bob Kraft in any capacity.

Edit - There's more. That should be enough to get the point across.
Sign the beast.

Yeah he was standing next to the rest of the media while Mayo said they needed good leaders and people who don’t whine, ***** and finger point on offense…(it was pretty sad).hardly anyone expects Mac to be back here next year from what is being said….move him for a 5th or so

We give up a 5th for another team to take Mac?

Anybody but McDaniels...anybody.

With O’Brien gone, the OC position is now open, so the search for the new (or old) OC can begin. I know most want a new shiny model OC off the Shanahan/McVay assembly line. I just don’t think that’s going to be the case.

The Krafts are going to want Josh McDaniels along with most of the coaches who followed him to Las Vegas back. They’re going to want experience on the staff especially if the Belichick boys follow their father to Atlanta, and Demarcus Covington becomes DC with a D staff of younger position coaches.

Now, Atlanta could entice McDaniels by telling him that he’s Bill’s successor. Otherwise, coaching in Foxboro, where his family never left when the Raiders hired him, running an offense with almost complete autonomy while collecting the balance of the $60 million the Raiders still owe him would be McDaniels’ best career choice you’d have to think.

Frankly, I believe this would be the best case scenario. The Pats are taking a QB at 3 overall. Williams, Maye and Daniel all have the physical traits and potential you can’t pass up with that pick. Look what McDaniels did with Mac Jones in 2021. Look at what McDaniels got out of the spent shell known as Cam Newton in 2020.

The Erhardt-Perkins offense has won plenty and is still a very relevant offense. It doesn’t have to be the ultra complex version it became with Brady because they needed to compensate for a lack of physical skills in their receiver group. A strong running game will be the rookie QBs best friend as he develops, and the Pats upgrade the skill level of their receivers.

Good. Nothing against BOB, but Mayo deserves to pick his own staff.

BOB just didn't work and it didn't make sense to keep him hanging around if you're going for a fresh start.

McD is coming back(for free, of course), AND Mac is going to get another full crack at it. Jon Kraft our new GM has deemed it so. Welcome to your new team, the dallas, er I mean the new New England Patriots. :rolleyes:

Dude, read the room. A black OC? Some folks will burn down the forum.

Who gives a ****?:p I'd make the whole coaching staff black for funsies.

If Mcds comes back I say the odds of Mac starting 24 go up. I don’t see Mac being the QB with his 4th OC in 4 years.

With O’Brien gone, the OC position is now open, so the search for the new (or old) OC can begin. I know most want a new shiny model OC off the Shanahan/McVay assembly line. I just don’t think that’s going to be the case.

The Krafts are going to want Josh McDaniels along with most of the coaches who followed him to Las Vegas back. They’re going to want experience on the staff especially if the Belichick boys follow their father to Atlanta, and Demarcus Covington becomes DC with a D staff of younger position coaches.

Now, Atlanta could entice McDaniels by telling him that he’s Bill’s successor. Otherwise, coaching in Foxboro, where his family never left when the Raiders hired him, running an offense with almost complete autonomy while collecting the balance of the $60 million the Raiders still owe him would be McDaniels’ best career choice you’d have to think.

Frankly, I believe this would be the best case scenario. The Pats are taking a QB at 3 overall. Williams, Maye and Daniel all have the physical traits and potential you can’t pass up with that pick. Look what McDaniels did with Mac Jones in 2021. Look at what McDaniels got out of the spent shell known as Cam Newton in 2020.

The Erhardt-Perkins offense has won plenty and is still a very relevant offense. It doesn’t have to be the ultra complex version it became with Brady because they needed to compensate for a lack of physical skills in their receiver group. A strong running game will be the rookie QBs best friend as he develops, and the Pats upgrade the skill level of their receivers.
A well reasoned post. Experienced coach with proven success as a OC and the ability to adapt schemes to the qb.

He knows the offensive players. Remember a radical change in scheme requires even more roster turnover. Not that there is much talent to turnover.

I wouldn’t hate Josh Mcdaniels I really respect his loyalty to the Pats.
Maybe I define loyalty differently than you do , but to me loyalty does not mean leaving every
time you get the chance and only returning once you've screwed up so badly nobody else will hire you.

Bob did not fit Mayo's ideals for a coaching staff, he's very in your face authoritative, old school. I think Mayo clearly stated he was looking for a different culture in the coaching staff and how they interact with this generation of players. I actually had the thought Bob was gone during the press conference; he just does not fit with what Mayo wants to do.

I love that Mayo has a plan, he knows what he wants to do and what type of coaches and players he thinks will be successful. Whether he hires the right people or actually has the right plan will be played out over time but he's saying, and doing, all the right things so far. Hard not to like Mayo, I think you can see why he has such a good reputation amongst people that have gotten to know him. Hopefully that all translates to success.

I get alot of people want to clean house totally and start totally fresh. But McDaniels has proven to be a really good OC with Whatever QB he was coaching in New England.

we got wins with Brissett, Jimmy G. and I would say he was the total reason our offense was #1 in 2021 with a rookie Mac Jones.

horrid head coach. but as an OC I do think he's one of the best. he may follow Bill to Atlanta. but to what end? Bill is gone in 2 years and his HC days are over...

Mac finished off two coaches.
Bill finished off two QBs. He tried to make it three but Brady threw a monkey wrench into his "plan."

I wonder if OSU pays better ?

I think the HC of OSU might be in danger if he can't beat Michigan this year.

I just hope it's not McDaniels coming back

Why? He’s a really good OC, and he’s he’s good with young QB’s.

I would be fine with them changing their offensive system, they have been running variations of E-P for over 20 years, but if they are keeping it then MacDaniels is their best choice. Either way I’m not going to ***** about it, O’Brien is gone and that enough to make me happy.

I get alot of people want to clean house totally and start totally fresh. But McDaniels has proven to be a really good OC with Whatever QB he was coaching in New England.

we got wins with Brissett, Jimmy G. and I would say he was the total reason our offense was #1 in 2021 with a rookie Mac Jones.

horrid head coach. but as an OC I do think he's one of the best. he may follow Bill to Atlanta. but to what end? Bill is gone in 2 years and his HC days are over...

In 2021 the Pats were #15 in yards per game and #5 in points per game. How'd you figure the Pats offense was #1 in 2021?

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back