PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick: Highest Paid Coach in North American Sports at $20m per

Dumbest thing ever posted on this site?

It's dumb but we've seen dumber. Especially out of that poster. Heck, it may not even be the dumbest trolling thing he's posted today

They didnt pay Brady in 2020, because of "money/cap", once he signed in TB, they franchised Thuney, signed McCourty and extended Chung...Immediately...The money is never an issue.
If they were committed to him, they could have given him a long-term deal, kept extending it, and pushing it out and doing those things. When Belichick decided it was the end, he didn't do that to minimize the financial damage. But he could have kept him here and pushed off the inevitable and made it work. He just decided not to and then did the things you mentioned.

I wish he'd stayed, and I thought at the time if it was going to happen, they were fortunate to at least have Mac land in their laps the way he did, especially after last season. However, none of us, myself included, probably saw what happened this season coming. :rolleyes:

Not sure that Mac's development was stunted by Matt/Joe. The reason I think Allen would work is because his game is suited to having a bad OL forcing defenses to flush him out of the pocket. Mac is a statute like Brady/Bledsoe. I don't see him being inaccurate...I see him being unable to set his feet.

Now you could argue that it is our zone blocking scheme, or the failed Wynn RT experiement, or the lack of a RT currently, or the Shaq Mason trade (he is so-so in Tampa, BTW from what I have seen), Andrews missing 2 games, etc...etc...

Let's see how the season plays out...now that we have Andrews back under center and I assume that we'll be benching McDermott and playing Cajuste at RT on Monday. And Trent Brown cannot get the flu again, right?
Who knows. I don't think we have the infrastructure to help Allen and allow him to make plays but who knows.

I do think changing the offense and the crap play calling did not help Mac at all.

At least youre consistent, but logically, theres no reason to not have paid him if we are consistent

Sure they wouldve, no reason to believe otherwise

I disagree. If we paid him in 2017 with a LONG TERM DEAL...sure...

But where we were at that point in 2020...it was impossible. Brady would have taken that team to the playoffs, but likely would have ended on wildcard weekend the same as it was in 2019. We ended the 2019 season on a 2-7 run....following an 8-0 start. Then in 2021, we would have had a lot of money in FA...but probably wouldn't be able to sign Judon (after spending money on Hunter Henry, Jonnu, Bourne, Algholor, and the others).....that team was 10-7 with Mac under center...with Brady...maybe 12-5 even...but the ending likely would have been in K.C. or Buffalo on divisional weekend at best, IMO.

Now if we paid him with a long term deal in 2017...maybe the cap would have allowed us to build a team around him. Also, we could argue that Brady's results here in 2022 wouldn't be much better....I mean he has the same problem in Tampa...bad OL...good D...but he ALSO has two good receivers that can create separation...something Jones does not have....outside of maybe Meyers.

Reactions: Ian
If they were committed to him, they could have given him a long-term deal, kept extending it, and pushing it out and doing those things. When Belichick decided it was the end, he didn't do that to minimize the financial damage. But he could have kept him here and pushed off the inevitable and made it work. He just decided not to and then did the things you mentioned.

I wish he'd stayed, and I thought at the time if it was going to happen, they were fortunate to at least have Mac land in their laps the way he did, especially after last season. However, none of us, myself included, probably saw what happened this season coming. :rolleyes:
Hyped was right, doing this in 2017 would have been best case scenario

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
I disagree. If we paid him in 2017 with a LONG TERM DEAL...sure...

But where we were at that point in 2020...it was impossible. Brady would have taken that team to the playoffs, but likely would have ended on wildcard weekend the same as it was in 2019. We ended the 2019 season on a 2-7 run....following an 8-0 start. Then in 2021, we would have had a lot of money in FA...but probably wouldn't be able to sign Judon (after spending money on Hunter Henry, Jonnu, Bourne, Algholor, and the others).....that team was 10-7 with Mac under center...with Brady...maybe 12-5 even...but the ending likely would have been in K.C. or Buffalo on divisional weekend at best, IMO.
I dont disagree about 2020 as a whole, I think 2019 was influenced by Bradys poor attitude and buy in, which was caused by the contract/lack thereof. But his 2/50 deal, is a bargain for a quarterback, and would not have hindered them nearly at all financially...Like I said to Ian...Once Brady signed in 2020 with Tampa, the Patriots signed McCourty, tagged Thuney and extended Chung...They had money, and that didnt alter what they didnt in 2021/2022...2 of those 3 arent here and the other is way over the hill.
Now if we paid him with a long term deal in 2017...maybe the cap would have allowed us to build a team around him. Also, we could argue that Brady's results here in 2022 wouldn't be much better....I mean he has the same problem in Tampa...bad OL...good D...but he ALSO has two good receivers that can create separation...something Jones does not have....outside of maybe Meyers.

I didn't want Brady to leave personally...but understood the economics of it...if anything...we should have paid him back in 2017.

But I am not sure we would be Superbowl contenders with Brady in 2020, 2021, and 2022....even if we paid him in 2017.
I think we've read that it was only about money. Brady wanted a say in how the offense was run, who was on the team, and didn't want to be coached in Bill's negative style any further. Perhaps if they offered the money, he may have felt different. We will never know.

To your point, I don't think they are or were SB contenders with him, regardless. We can certainly extrapolate that Gronk doesn't come back and put up with Bill's chit if Brady did stay. With Brady's contract, they likely don't have the roster they currently have. There would be guys that would have come here because of Brady, and others they could not have paid and wouldn't be here because of it. They were at the crossroads and Bill, right or wrong, tore the bandaid off and moved on. It would be fun to go into some alternate universe to see what would have happened if Brady stayed, got paid, how that affected both side of the ball roster wise, and what the end result would have been.

What you arent grasping is that one game doesnt correlate to the credit...We have seen they can beat anybody with anything on any given night...Unfortunately over a 16/17 game season and multiple playoff games, the talent weighs out...The success drop off is astounding
This is exactly I mentioned the day Brady sucked. Because it's not just the QB performing fantastically in one game. It's also the defense shutting down the other team. When the defense shuts down a top 10 offense in NFL history 3x in a Super Bowl, it's telling. 1x is just 1x, 2x is a coincidence, 3x is a pattern.

I dont disagree about 2020 as a whole, I think 2019 was influenced by Bradys poor attitude and buy in, which was caused by the contract/lack thereof. But his 2/50 deal, is a bargain for a quarterback, and would not have hindered them nearly at all financially...Like I said to Ian...Once Brady signed in 2020 with Tampa, the Patriots signed McCourty, tagged Thuney and extended Chung...They had money, and that didnt alter what they didnt in 2021/2022...2 of those 3 arent here and the other is way over the hill.

Looks like we will never know anyway....

I wish we could have "what if alternate historical seasons" just to have something to chew on.....

Looks like we will never know anyway....

I wish we could have "what if alternate historical seasons" just to have something to chew on.....
I mean, they could definitely have no won...That is hypothetical for sure...Dont disagree. Just the financials are what they are...They wouldve had money either way in 2021 to improve the team

Only Brady could score more than 3 points against the Rams! Only Brady.

Heck, the Patriots played 3 of the top 10 offenses in NFL history in Super Bowls. They gave up a total of 40 points combined for all 3 games.

Only the Patriots claimed his system could win with ANY top 15 QB in 2018. Goff was top 10 in 2018. Which team would have won if the QBs were reversed?

Also, next time Jarrett Stidham starts a meaningful NFL game, it will be his first.

Also, next time Jarrett Stidham starts a meaningful NFL game, it will be his first.
Would love to know what happened there. He went from a guy who was highly touted with whispers from inside the organization of being someone they were confident in to being someone who was irrelevant in camp after the Newton signing. No epic battle there at all. And then they wouldn't even play him when the team faltered midseason, so it shows you that obviously something bad seemingly happened...although, we haven't really ever heard what exactly that was.

Would love to know what happened there. He went from a guy who was highly touted with whispers from inside the organization of being someone they were confident in to being someone who was irrelevant in camp after the Newton signing. No epic battle there at all. And then they wouldn't even play him when the team faltered midseason, so it shows you that obviously something bad seemingly happened...although, we haven't really ever heard what exactly that was.
Positive PR in wake of Brady departure

Only the Patriots claimed his system could win with ANY top 15 QB in 2018. Goff was top 10 in 2018. Which team would have won if the QBs were reversed?

Goff, Stidham or anyone else wins that game. It's not the point about switching Brady to the Rams. If prime Manning played for the Rams, maybe Brady doesn't have a 6th Super Bowl!

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think it was just rumors either.

If they didn't think they had a QB that was at least good enough that they could be at least competitive for a playoff birth why did they franchise Thuney?

What happened to Stidham between March and September 2020 is basically the 2nd biggest Patriots mystery after "Why was Malcolm Butler benched in the SB?".

He was the runner up MVP in 2003, might want to rethink this comment…the Patriots and Bill had the luxury of playing with an elite quarterback essentially since the day Brady walked onto the field
If our offense scored zero TDs these days with its a nightmare. What we had then was a SB winning QB and Coach so a lot of these kinda games are forgotten where the defense essentially won the game .Here is another one from the same season

Check out brady's stats.

If our offense scored zero TDs these days with its a nightmare. What we had then was a SB winning QB and Coach so a lot of these kinda games are forgotten where the defense essentially won the game .Here is another one from the same season

Check out brady's stats.
So you dont want to acknowledge that Brady was an MVP caliber qb in 2003? Or that it doesnt make it a lot easier to win games?

what was Feb 4th 2018, was that when he put on the coaching clinic in the SB against the Rams?
That coaching clinic was courtesy of Brian Flores and Josh McDaniels not Bill.

That's not how it works here. Bill implements the strategy and things he wants to see in the scheme and calls on game day. Flo & Josh put together the game plan and personnel groupings. They present to Bill and he approves or tweaks.

I'm confused, Josh was the O-coordinator and we scored 10 points, if that's a clinic, I don't want any part of that.

Anyone who thinks that wasn't BB defense is utterly clueless of course with the help of the next great mind and potential future coach of the Pats, Stevie Belichick

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back