PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Big News Day: G Tre' Jackson Waived (and TE Matt Lengel signed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chung = Don Davis

He's basically his own position. The Patriots, for the most part, no longer use a real strong safety.
Agreed. This is one of the great myths of Patriot football. Images sometimes coalesce into facts, especially in this market. For years the Pats have been quite public in that they DON'T flop their safeties from strong side to weak, yet for all of those years, the mediots and fans have parrotted the image that Chung was a "strong safety".

The FACT is that those stock labels just don't exits. Most of the Pats DB's have multiple skill sets. Chung was a CB in college and has often lined up in what is normally concidered a "CB" position in the slot or elsewhere, simply because Patricia determined that THAT was the match up he wanted in that situation.

In some of those situations when the Pats were using Harmon as a single high safety, McCourty was often used in match ups that utilized his CB skills. THAT is the beauty of the Pats defensive system. It's different every week, and match ups are different as well.

It's difficult to play against, but is also difficult to use as well. The Pats are finally getting an experienced DB group in here to play it, and thus utilize the concepts to its fullest extent. For the next year or three it will be a beautiful thing to watch in action.

Agreed. This is one of the great myths of Patriot football. Images sometimes coalesce into facts, especially in this market. For years the Pats have been quite public in that they DON'T flop their safeties from strong side to weak, yet for all of those years, the mediots and fans have parrotted the image that Chung was a "strong safety".

To be fair, Chung's initial stint saw him playing a more traditional SS role, although they were also trying to force coverage roles on him. It took until he was gone for the team to figure the best way to use him.

It's pretty cool, because we can use Chung as a combination:

2nd round cautionary/failure tale
BB misused a player example
BB figures out how to use other team's failures example
Redemption tale
Come to NE and win a SB example

umm...if you bet against every pick in the draft you would make good money...the odds are vastly in your favor...your comment is useless

start calling the correct picks and then we can talk
The thing is, the good Captain Stone has been amazingly prescient wrt draft picks.

The thing is, the good Captain Stone has been amazingly prescient wrt draft picks.

Ehh... It's a can't win situation. Even if someone spends months on draft stuff, lists their draft preferences and then criticizes a BB pick, he gets "You have to give the player a chance!" followed by "Hindsight is 20/20" when the player ****s the bed. Captain Stone is basically just the other side of that coin.

Man people thought he was a great pick up and a better prospect more sure thing than Mason.

Who did? I thought the consensus was that Mason had the higher upside if he could learn the pro style offense and pass blocking coming from the triple option.

It makes sense.

IOL
Developmental OT (In other words, this probably waits until next year, and becomes the need for a starter level OT)
DL
LB
Slot CB

That's really all they need to focus on, unless I'm blanking on something/someone

I'd throw Safety in there to try and knock Jordan Richards off the roster and backup Chung, with the hope of replacing him in a few years

It baffles me why so many scrutinize and criticize NFL draft picks (especially with the benefit of hindsight).

Do we demand a hockey player score on every shot? No.
Do we demand a baseball batter to hit a home run every at bat? No.
Do we demand a pitcher to throw a shutout every start? No.
Do we demand a quarterback to throw a TD every pass? No.
Do we demand the defense to create a turnover every possession? No.

But for some reason it seems quite acceptable to express outrage if any draft pick does not develop into an All Pro - even if that 'failure' is due to injury.

Seems to me that the Pats have won two Super Bowls since Jackson was picked. Must be doing something right

To be fair, Chung's initial stint saw him playing a more traditional SS role, although they were also trying to force coverage roles on him. It took until he was gone for the team to figure the best way to use him.

It's pretty cool, because we can use Chung as a combination:

2nd round cautionary/failure tale
BB misused a player example
BB figures out how to use other team's failures example
Redemption tale
Come to NE and win a SB example

My, what versatility!

Do we demand a hockey player score on every shot? No.
Do we demand a baseball batter to hit a home run every at bat? No.
Do we demand a pitcher to throw a shutout every start? No.
Do we demand a quarterback to throw a TD every pass? No.
Do we demand the defense to create a turnover every possession? No.

I do.:oops:

Seems to me that the Pats have won two Super Bowls since Jackson was picked. Must be doing something right
Yeah, but there has been 3 played, if only BB would listen to Captain stone he'd have 3 instead of 2.

Tre Jackson was not good value in the 4th round, or in any round. He was a fat-ass, unathletic, injury-prone stiff from Florida State, the same school that produced the injury-prone Bryan (If Bill Wanted a Center Then He Should've Drafted Russell Jethroe Bodine) Stork. Another waste of a draft pick, again. And once again, those who warned that Jackson was a bad pick were proven correct, again, and Bill was proven wrong, again.

This is unreal. The Pats just won the first Super Bowl ever to go to OT. The 11 players that took the field on offense to start the overtime consisted of a 3rd rounder, three 4ths, a 5th, a 6th, a 7th and three UDFA's and Captain Stone thinks he could draft better than Bill "proven wrong again" Belichick. Can you imagine how many Superbowls we would have won with someone as competant as Captain Stone doing the drafting?

The reality is that every team misses on at least half their picks every year. So criticing someone's draft record is not very hard to do. Rather than slam the Pats for missing on a forth rounder taken in the same round that they landed Trey Flowers, why don't you tell us who has a better draft record than the Pats under Caserio?

One the keys to Belichick's success is his willingness to move on quickly if a player isn't going to pan out. The bad teams bloat their roster with failed draft picks to avoid criticism from the likes of Captain Stone.

Last edited:
This is unreal. The Pats just won the first Super Bowl ever to go to OT. The 11 players that took the field on offense to start the overtime consisted of a 3rd rounder, three 4ths, a 5th, a 6th, a 7th and three UDFA's and Captain Stone thinks he could draft better than Bill "proven wrong again" Belichick. Can you imagine how many Superbowls we would have won with someone as competant as Captain Stone doing the drafting?

Tom Brady is one hell of a deodorant

Who did? I thought the consensus was that Mason had the higher upside if he could learn the pro style offense and pass blocking coming from the triple option.
Regarding that draft thread I don't recall for sure.

People thought Jackson was a plug and play guy right away and that Mason had a uphill battle learning pass protection. But yes, people were optimistic about Mason's upside and there was some concern about Tre's knees, but I recall the consensus was that if the Pats staff cleared him his knees were fine.

The one place where the Pats haven't grabbed value vets of late is OL. If Jackson's done, that's too bad (I thought he played pretty well before the injuries and it sucks to see a career sidelined so swiftly), and now they're thin across the line. Chris Barker? Karras?

Does BB hit IOL hard again this draft? Is there a vet (Mangold?) to be found who could help out?

Pats were fortunate last year that the OL took few injuries. Can't count on that for those positions. Might be our weakest spot right now.

The FACT is that those stock labels just don't exits. Most of the Pats DB's have multiple skill sets. Chung was a CB in college and has often lined up in what is normally concidered a "CB" position in the slot or elsewhere, simply because Patricia determined that THAT was the match up he wanted in that situation.

Chung was a "rover" in college. He was a hybrid LB Safety. That said, his strength was flexibility and special teams. He learned to cover with the Pats.

Rams claimed Tre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing