PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2024 WR/PTP Thread

Had they signed a stop gap like T Smith, I’d say go with WR. But they didn’t so now we’re here.

There’s some players outside of the first 2 rounds that could pan out. My personal favorite is Christian Jones out of Texas. Then you got Paul and Fisher. However it’s always a risk thinking they are just going to step in and play LT at a NFL level and not something you want to pin your QB’s health on.

There could still be some really good Wr’s in that 3rd round like Baker. Or they could trade up if they were so inclined.

Smith isn't a stop-gap if he misses 9 games. That's the problem.

Now, maybe Anderson starts there initially and the OT is allowed to grow as a Swing tackle behind him and Okorafor, but that's a big question mark and the Pats can't afford to go a 3rd straight season using 3-5 OTs at one position or the Other.

You got any guys in mind at the 34 spot for tackle? If you trade back who’s the target? I know it always depends on who’s available.

Obviously if the Pats take a trade with the Giants your to land Alt maybe. If they they take the “alleged” Viking deal then possibly Fashanu or Fautanu, maybe Latham if they like him are in play. Who are others in the first round? Mims, Morgan, Fuaga, Guyton seem like guys between that 15-30 range according to the mocks anyway.

Not sure if you meant trade down, draft a qb or trade down get your qb and picks and get the tackle.

No. No guys in mind for OT at 34. This is a deeper class than usual, so there should be someone that falls that will be an above average to good starter. Like a Matt Light or Sebastian Vollmer.

No. No guys in mind for OT at 34. This is a deeper class than usual, so there should be someone that falls that will be an above average to good starter. Like a Matt Light or Sebastian Vollmer.
That’s what I’m hoping as well. Hopefully between the QBs, Wrs, and Defenders it pushes someone unexpected back to us.

With the benefit of a full college season, bowls, combine and pro days having passed since you put this list together - what adjustments to your rankings would you make now?
Trying to put something together now but here something...

(anyone new i dont "rank" prospects on how good i personally think they are, i use a scale I've adjusted a few times. It works for me)

Borderline elite
MHJ 9.19
Nabers 9.10
Odunze 8.95

1st RD
Thomas 8.51 (anyone new i dont "rank" prospects on how good i, personally think they are, i use a scale )

2nd
Ladd 8.17
Worthy/Corley 8.15
Burton 8.12
Mitchell/Franklin 8.10
Coleman/Pearsall 8.05
Legette 8.01
.... ill have more tn or tm working on a big summary and other stuff for us.

Here's a few ptp since I'm here

MHJ (you have to add him(
Odunze (*ideal* by #'s, need and wouldn't surprise me if he's the best out the class)
Nabers
Thomas (i was a little surprisedmy scale gave him a 1st.)

No order
Mitchell (Bourne replacement?)
Pearsall (slot/z)
McMillan (Meyers replacement?)
Rice just has ptp all over him
McCaffrey
Franklin (TT replacement?)
Washington
Polk

Obviously a few names might slide in there but those are on my list or final graded

"And the team will suck again" is not a reason to skip taking a WR. I happen to agree wiith you on your post, but the team is going to suck with or without a LT or WR. There are lots of evaluations of Maye and McCarthy, but one opinion is that both have to sit for at least one year. That means we will be led by Jacobi Brisset which means we are going to suck again. We can pick the LT or WR again in 2025 before Maye or McCarthy start an NFL game.
There's so many variables. They could take a WR at 34 and still get a OT at 68.

NESN reporting following contacts with Pats.

Top30
- Javon Baker
Combine
- Marvin Harrison Jr
- Rome Ozunde
- Brian Thomas Jr
- Xavier Legette
- Brenden Rice
Senior Bowl
- Luke McCaffery
- Ladd McConkey
- Devontez Walker
Shrine Bowl
- Jalen Coker
Pro Day
- Malik Nabers
- Xavier Worthy

NESN reporting following contacts with Pats.

Top30
- Javon Baker
Combine
- Marvin Harrison Jr
- Rome Ozunde
- Brian Thomas Jr
- Xavier Legette
- Brenden Rice
Senior Bowl
- Luke McCaffery
- Ladd McConkey
- Devontez Walker
Shrine Bowl
- Jalen Coker
Pro Day
- Malik Nabers
- Xavier Worthy

Baker will probably be on my list too.

I think one of him, Rice, McMillan, Polk will be a nep. We have ties to the UW wrs and basically have a real need at every spot there.

I think 34 is a tricky place is get a WR. We'll miss out on the top 2 waves I think (the top 3 - and then then the Thomas, Mitchell, Worthy tier). Carolina may well take one at 33 too - maybe McConkey. 34 then seems to early for the next few guys - Coleman, Legette, Wilson, Franklin etc (and I don't like most of them). I also think we might miss out on the top OTs by 34 too.

So we probably need to trade up ahead of Buffalo to get one of these WRs or trade down. However, I'm also more open now to trading 34 for a top receiver if that's an option too.

I think 34 is a tricky place is get a WR. We'll miss out on the top 2 waves I think (the top 3 - and then then the Thomas, Mitchell, Worthy tier). Carolina may well take one at 33 too - maybe McConkey. 34 then seems to early for the next few guys - Coleman, Legette, Wilson, Franklin etc (and I don't like most of them). I also think we might miss out on the top OTs by 34 too.

So we probably need to trade up ahead of Buffalo to get one of these WRs or trade down. However, I'm also more open now to trading 34 for a top receiver if that's an option too.

I don't like N'Keon Coleman at all. I think he can only survive as a big slot receiver.

I'm wary about Legette's rawness and Franklin's lack of strength. I love Roman Wilson, Ladd McConkey and Ricky Pearsall. I think Jermaine Burton could be elite but I worry about his mentality and attitude. Tez Walker is being slept on because he had a messed up year, but I think he's a really good option that might even be there in the 3rd.

I don't like N'Keon Coleman at all.
What you got against a slow wideout—he was content with his combine 4.61 at his Florida State pro day—who can’t get separation…in college? He has a spectacular highlight reel of catches that make people fall in love with him. He does have superb body control.

It’s going to be interesting to compare 4.39 Xavier Legette, who I rate as the fourth WR in this very deep class, to slow-footed Coleman. He needs those spectacular catches. It’s his only way.

Coleman/Pearsall 8.05
Legette 8.01
Ricky, si. Keon, no.

How in the green grass of earth, BGC, do your numbers have Coleman ahead of Legette? I need to borrow them for my accountant.

What you got against a slow wideout—he was content with his combine 4.61 at his Florida State pro day—who can’t get separation…in college? He has a spectacular highlight reel of catches that make people fall in love with him. He does have superb body control.

It’s going to be interesting to compare 4.39 Xavier Legette, who I rate as the fourth WR in this very deep class, to slow-footed Coleman. He needs those spectacular catches. It’s his only way.
Ricky, si. Keon, no.

How in the green grass of earth, BGC, do your numbers have Coleman ahead of Legette? I need to borrow them for my accountant.
They essentially graded out the same. Remember I don't do "who I like better" or "rank" prospects. You might get 1 or 2 prospects right that way but that's about it. I'm all about taking my personal bias out the process bc very few can grade a class or even 15 prospects by their "eye" or we. It doesn't work that way. Me included. So when I put a guy through my scale my bias is taken almost all the way out.

XL doesn't always utilize his speed within the route(s) and after 5 years still isn't an above average rr. Neither are "great" but Coleman is a little better. He has some tempo to his game where XL is basically one speed no patience or nuance. Like he wins bc hes big & fast but you don't see that on "long/deep" routes past 25-30 yards. Which is what you want from a guy like that.

He's tight where Coleman can sink his hips a lot easier coming out his breaks. This matters a ton bc Coleman would absolutely kill if paired with a good anticipatory MOF passer like Jackson for example. Both these guys need things to go in their favor in terms of QB/Scheme to really hit. Coleman would be a great big slot with someone that could pass with anticipation in that part of the field.

Again they graded out similar bc they both need a lot to really hit. Neither will ever be WR1. They'll both need a certain QB, WR1 opposite, scheme etc to really hit.

I like XL a lot but think he's a little more WR3, hit or miss vs certain defenses than most understand.

To me XL is a faster AJ Brown. I know he only exploded on the scene last year. So it’s legitimate to ask why he wasn’t a multiple year producer. But he’s an alpha dog and not a prima dona. Actually been through adversity and is humble.

I think Coleman can be shutdown by big, physical corners. I saw Maryland do it two seasons ago when he was at Michigan State. Coleman is too flashy in his personal life to suit me. I have some inside information. Hard pass.

To me XL is a faster AJ Brown. I know he only exploded on the scene last year. So it’s legitimate to ask why he wasn’t a multiple year producer. But he’s an alpha dog and not a prima dona. Actually been through adversity and is humble.
Brown had better acceleration, much better with his hands on the los and was more fluid overall. I think he has trouble with complex zones and good press man. I don't hate XL, he's got a 2nd from me but it's more than just the late production.
I think Coleman can be shutdown by big, physical corners. I saw Maryland do it two seasons ago when he was at Michigan State.
Did you watch XL against Tennessee and other good teams? At times pressed up on the line and throughout his route. I could put to other games but he was banged up a lot.

Again both of these guys are WR2/High WR3 types. They need some things to really go their way for success. Neither can just show up and play.
Coleman is too flashy in his personal life to suit me. I have some inside information. Hard pass.
I'm familiar with Coleman at MSU, FSU and even before he got to college. Bad but the kind of bad teams will live with in 2024.

Welcome, Ricky Pearsall. Your play and toughness screams Patriot.

He met the Patriots informally at the Senior Bowl. He’s a perfect early third down pick.

Welcome, Ricky Pearsall. Your play and toughness screams Patriot.

He met the Patriots informally at the Senior Bowl. He’s a perfect early third down pick.
If the Pats pick anyone from the Senior Bowl, then I'm gonna unconditionally believe, since my guy TB80 was there calling plays as OC.

I just hope I don't ever get the point of "F U Jobu" with TB80...

I love Xavier Legette! Big, strong, explosive, speedy, and instinctive. I rate him fourth behind Nabers, Harrison, and Odunze.

Ricky Pearsall is someone else I’m keen on.

In a normal year, Xavier Legette would go the top half of the first round instead, as I anticipate, the end of the first round. He’s the kind of physical, instinctive athlete with elite 4.3 speed that would give even Gonzo problems.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back