PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2022 WR/PTP Thread

We have close to $110M in cap space in 2023 and the cap is going up in 2023, so pushing some cap hits forward is OK.
This is correct.. The $110M in space is based on an 18M increase.. Which is conservative. The increase is likely to be between $25M-$40M when all is said and done..

Metchie is not that fast, Williams passed by him in receiving yards at AL this year - a good year for Metchie but not great. Looks like a route runner, not a speedster. With his ACL tear and no combine, Metchie might fall to the 3rd round. Not the same, but McGrone fell to the 5th.

This is a fair assessment! Also keep in mind that metchie dropped balls and bb is not a fan of those type receivers!

This is a fair assessment! Also keep in mind that metchie dropped balls and bb is not a fan of those type receivers!
Yes he dropped some balls but if he's around in the 3rd, that's a pick with good upside. And with the Alabama connection, he already has chemistry with Mac Jones.

Another WR I'd take a hard look at is Wan'Dale Robinson. He has the kind of open field shiftiness that reminds me of a WR version of Dion Lewis. He could really take those short passes from Mac Jones and possibly make some magic happen with his open field elusiveness.

Yes he dropped some balls but if he's around in the 3rd, that's a pick with good upside. And with the Alabama connection, he already has chemistry with Mac Jones.

Another WR I'd take a hard look at is Wan'Dale Robinson. He has the kind of open field shiftiness that reminds me of a WR version of Dion Lewis. He could really take those short passes from Mac Jones and possibly make some magic happen with his open field elusiveness.

Yeah he's near the top of the list if Metchie's off the board and we still don't have a WR yet.

I really Really REALLY want Bill to trade #21 to either Jax or Detroit for an extra top-70 pick and address each of our needs at WR, NT, CB & DE by the end of Day 2, then begin Day 3 with the Best Available LT...

This is The Way...

I am a huge Robinson fan. Kentucky fans think he is going to blow up the combine and jump up to a first round pick.

Yeah he's near the top of the list if Metchie's off the board and we still don't have a WR yet.

I really Really REALLY want Bill to trade #21 to either Jax or Detroit for an extra top-70 pick and address each of our needs at WR, NT, CB & DE by the end of Day 2, then begin Day 3 with the Best Available LT...

This is The Way...

Preach it brother!

I don't understand why everyone thinks Metchie is not fast. He is a lot faster and quicker than you think. Perfect slot guy for us. I listed Metchie and Chase stats below for a baseline

JA'MARR CHASE WR LSU
NFL DRAFT PROFILE & SCOUTING REPORT
40 TIME: 4.34 SECONDS
HEIGHT: 6-0 WEIGHT: 208

JOHN METCHIE III WR ALABAMA
40 TIME: 4.36 SECONDS
HEIGHT: 6-0 WEIGHT: 195

We really need an outside receiver that excels in the intermediate to deep zones.

Olave would be excellent for jones to have in that role.

I don't understand why everyone thinks Metchie is not fast. He is a lot faster and quicker than you think. Perfect slot guy for us. I listed Metchie and Chase stats below for a baseline

JA'MARR CHASE WR LSU

Where did you get those 40 times? Everyone depends on the Combine so the times are comparable. For instance if Metchie's time is by hand stop watch you have to add 0.1seconds.

JA'MARR CHASE WR LSU

My concerns with Metchie aren't to do with his speed, more to do with his drops and his tendency to use his body to catch. Also, injuries

JA'MARR CHASE WR LSU

They don't play anything alike, though. Chase is a legitimate X receiver and a bully on the outside. I like Metchie, and I'd be happy to draft him, but when I watch him play he's always looked more like a Z to me. Maybe I'm wrong -- I certainly haven't put in much time this season compared with most years -- but I don't see a lot of similarities to the ways that they play / win their routes.

They don't play anything alike, though. Chase is a legitimate X receiver and a bully on the outside. I like Metchie, and I'd be happy to draft him, but when I watch him play he's always looked more like a Z to me. Maybe I'm wrong -- I certainly haven't put in much time this season compared with most years -- but I don't see a lot of similarities to the ways that they play / win their routes.
That’s because they’re not similar at all except for their height and weight measurements.

I was not saying they were the same type receivers. Just tthat Metchie would be fast&quick enough to be good slot receiver for the Pats

Both have great spatial awareness. Both return men and have a great feel for the space around them. Great patience and confidence in the open field. That's very underrated every one wants to run 10000 mph and move as soon as they touch the ball. Both are really elusive and really good at making their surroundings work.
The Patriots offense really needs two things: (1) someone to be a deep receiver to pull coverage downfield, and (2) a good slot safety valve, like Welker for Cassel in 2008.

The Patriots offense really needs two things: (1) someone to be a deep receiver to pull coverage downfield, and (2) a good slot safety valve, like Welker for Cassel in 2008.
I think that both Bourne and Jonnu Smith have the ability to be "deep threat" (20+ yards) receivers. The bigger thing is the slot safety valve. Meyers was sorta that guy for Jones (126 targets / 83 receptions). But I think that Phillips would also add a degree of deep play that would help the team as well as being a great guy out of the slot..

I think that both Bourne and Jonnu Smith have the ability to be "deep threat" (20+ yards) receivers. The bigger thing is the slot safety valve. Meyers was sorta that guy for Jones (126 targets / 83 receptions). But I think that Phillips would also add a degree of deep play that would help the team as well as being a great guy out of the slot..

Agreed, think that Phillips would be more dynamic than Meyers would be. Still think they need to get into 12 personnel more to utilise Jonnu more, but that's a discussion for another time.

There's lots of WR's this year that i'd like us to really look at. Especially the X and Slot type guys.

The key question is what happens to JC Jackson because letting him go might drastically change our draft strategy. IMO no matter what is going on with him the defense is still priority. Of course I wouldn't mind grabbing one of the top WRs in round 1. However personally I am supporter of trading down a bit and looking for a WR in late rounds. I can imagine Skyy Moore or Calvin Austin playing for us as a slot WR.
If we stay with our 21st choice I would take CB ( assuming Jackson is gone ) or DL.

@BaconGrundleCandy - Is there a WR who falls into the "flying under the radar" slot type receiver who is likely to be a priority UDFA? Like Josh Johnson? Or someone else?

The key question is what happens to JC Jackson because letting him go might drastically change our draft strategy. IMO no matter what is going on with him the defense is still priority. Of course I wouldn't mind grabbing one of the top WRs in round 1. However personally I am supporter of trading down a bit and looking for a WR in late rounds. I can imagine Skyy Moore or Calvin Austin playing for us as a slot WR.
If we stay with our 21st choice I would take CB ( assuming Jackson is gone ) or DL.

If we can trade #21(or 22/23 after first trading-down for 163 or 177) to Jax or Detroit for one of 65/66/70, then a CB like Kaiir Elam, Kyler Gordon or Roger McCreary becomes a possibility at 32/33/34, NT Travis Jones at 53, and at 65/66/70 a WR like Jalen Tolbert, Alec Pierce, WanDale Robinson, Romeo Doubs, or Mac's buddy John Metchie if he's healthy... Another possibility at 65/66/70 is a DE like Boye Mafe, Sam Williams or Josh Paschal then whoever's still available among the above WR (plus Skyy Moore or ND State's Christian Watson) at #85...

We absolutely MUST conduct Multiple trade-downs to acquire more picks, starting at #21 itself. This is the Way.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back