PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BGC 2021 WR/PTP Thread

Touche.....you are correct Gunnar does bring the excitement , you cannot fault his energy or commitment. On the other side I would worry that he gets knocked out trying to take on a 300lbs lineman or two ....lol

Was it me or did Gunner Romney look like JJAW out there at times. Definitely on that deep post. Picked up some yac on short pass and was physical all night too. Really liked what I saw from him.

Showed off a little acceleration on the screen man look at Barrington and Empey.

Was it me or did Gunner Romney look like JJAW out there at times. Definitely on that deep post. Picked up some yac on short pass and was physical all night too. Really liked what I saw from him.

Showed off a little acceleration on the screen man look at Barrington and Empey.

Couldn't tell if Romney looked like a legitimate prospect or was simply playing a lesser Navy team in COVID times...added him to my watchlist as well, could see him entering the Draft after a strong season

Couldn't tell if Romney looked like a legitimate prospect or was simply playing a lesser Navy team in COVID times...added him to my watchlist as well, could see him entering the Draft after a strong season
Definitely can play. Whether he can make a case to get real targets next level I'll want to see more but he's physical, looks to have strong hands, high points and keeps it away from the defender. Slippery at 6'2/6'3. Definitely making some $ this year.

Definitely can play. Whether he can make a case to get real targets next level I'll want to see more but he's physical, looks to have strong hands, high points and keeps it away from the defender. Slippery at 6'2/6'3. Definitely making some $ this year.

He's getting drafted this year?

Waddle and Smith are dangerous weapons..Smith with an insane TD end of first half great catch and Waddle's speed is insane

Elijah Moore would look crazy good transitioning from Jules.

Seth Williams looks Bad against Horn..even the qb did make a Bad decision he did Not look good in using his Size to get some separation.

Seth Williams looks Bad against Horn..even the qb did make a Bad decision he did Not look good in using his Size to get some separation.
Horn shut him down and was fantastic. Technique, movements, looked like he was baiting the QB a few times. He made a lot of money yesterday. Conversely Williams looked dejected. His body language was awful a few times. Just defeated.

After watching waddle turn the Georgia corners into badly burnt toast, I think if he is on the board when we pick, bb has to take him!

DeVonta Smith - SR - Alabama - 6' - 6'1 / 175-185 - Amite, LA

Strengths
Release
- Versed / Nuanced at the los with a variety of release moves and techniques to create space. Quick, soft foot firing feet. Killer jab step, hesitation - stutter variations, speed, stretch, motor ... very patient and super efficient, everything is clean. Nothing is wasted. His patience at that line is superb. Knows how to stem a DB - inside/outside to set his route, re-stem. Smith does an amazing job at attacking & winning the leverage battle. Fantastic at threatening outside leverage to win inside with head/shoulder fakes, stutter steps - creating an outside stem to gain inside leverage. Displays a real understanding of leverage - how to attack it and work it.

Route Running - Very smart, efficient and precise route runner. One of the best in-breaking/slant runners you'll find over the last few years. He does a very good job at using his body to get into his man, subtly creating space off contact. He does this after stacking his man with some hand fighting as well. Let's the route develop. Sells a good vert route. Disguises doubles. Great tracking ability & feel on deep routes. Very adapt, makes it work regardless of situation. Can threaten any area of the field, all three levels. Quick hitters out in the flat. Will keep the chains moving with slants. Can win on back shoulders along sidelines. Wins deep off his release, savvy stacking and ability to set up a DB using spacing, blind spots. Can separate at top of route. Very refined at route runner.

Speed/Play Speed, Body Control, IQ - Very quick in-out of breaks, plant step. Not the most explosive but has suddenness and some twitch- juice. He does everything at full speed and can change gears when needed, that's key! Nothing seems hard or is advertised. Everything is fast, clean, fluid. So efficient. Smooth but shows off very good patience and FBI (FootBall Intelligence) Has some some wiggle and shake - most often makes the first guy miss sometimes second. Great body control, timing and ability to catch through contact for a smaller player. Reliable player going over middle/MOF. Tough, he's a football player that isn't afraid to get hit. Comes back on "broken plays", shows good awareness for down/distance and where he is on the field.

Coverage(s) - Can beat press man with release & hands. Has gone up against NFL talent for years and been leaving bodies behind for years. Bump & run, eats up cushions in soft coverage. Kills zone, his spatial awareness is too good. Guys have been trying to bully him since hs and he's not intimidated.

YAC player who can create space by himself. Off manufactured touches. Not a bull but won't go down by arm tackles

Hands - Plus, soft, reliable hands that appear strong. Plucks, snatches the ball out the air. Natural pass catcher. Tucks it away with contact/over the middle. Strong enough to fingertip a high point - will hold the ball out/up to avoid a DB ripping the ball away.

Shows regular effort and willingness on blocking. Cam stalk block, work on perimeter.

Concerns
When it comes to concerns, there aren't many. Definitely not any glaring holes. I'm simply looking for reassurance(s) that he can do it rather than proof that he can play at the highest level. There's not a lot he has to learn or things he doesn't do at least pretty well.

Not the biggest prospect. Probably comes in around 6' - 6'1 / 170-180. Doesn't bother me. Some want him to add weight. I wouldn't care. A few pounds but don't go crazy he's a small WR no matter if he adds 10 pounds. Just be in optimal shape for you.

Will have to prove he can play with the big boys with better technique. Specifically along the los where he wins quick. That's how he wins. He's displayed everything you want to see but will have to do it against the best athletes who are (6'+/200+ with length) regularly.
Could always improve in a few areas - could tighten up his route running a little bit. Maybe become a little more explosive overall. Ultimately it's going to come down to if he can continue to have the same or good success off the line.

Thoughts - Outlook
Smith is an outstanding prospect who specializes at getting off the los. Crafty refined route runner with ball skills and yac ability. Small but tough. Smith is ready to step in day one and play a big role. Ideal slot/z you can move around and take advantage of match-ups if the opportunity presents itself. Again the biggest question is will he have success off the line but that's his greatest strength imo. He could be a very good player in almost any system bc of his skill set/traits.

I don't grade until after testing but Smith looks like a top 5-6 WR in this year's class and easy top 40-50 pick. I really like him.

Comparison - Calvin Ridley - Doug Baldwin

Traits That Translate
  • Can win in the three big phases - release/los, in the middle of his route and at the top of the route.
  • + Hands, route running and IQ
  • Tough player who can make you miss and actively looks for yac. Smaller RB with the ball in his hands
  • Versatile - Can line up anywhere, runs the whole tree & will block

Inside stem, creates space for the out but that's not the good stuff. Check out how quick and crisp he is off that plant/cut. Flattens out his route to give his QB an easy target. Good stuff.

Press against Horn, NFL prospect, Joe Horns kid. Sells outside with a quick jab. Gets into Horn and stretches out over the middle.

Press man, big time whiff by Mukuamu, NFL prospect. Buys what Smith is selling. Again so good at selling outside.

This is a great rep. Horn is in press man but fails to get early hands on Smith. Little head fake - body fake to the outside about a half second after the snap then explodes inside.

Going against another NFL prospect in Stingley. Too quick off the line, shake - in route and finishes up top.

Last edited:
Again knows how to stem a DB. Flattens outs beautifully.

Check out the stop/start. Out runs 4-5 defenders.

Very good at selling double moves

Can beat you outside with position/stacking and ball skills

Stretch release

Stutter

As Brad noted stretch release but he's very quick in/out of his breaks. Very good at creating space at the top of his route like he did here.

More vs Stingley who is a very highly touted NFL prospect. This is almost the whole package. Release, r/r, hands ... ability to win outside, make a play and put up 6. Smith has been killing the SEC for four years.

More plays against NFL prospects/talent.

Smith is an excellent wide receiver, but you have to wonder how he can physically hold up at 165 pounds against nfl men!

If J'Marr Chase, Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle are all available when we pick. Who do you go for?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back